Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28

Author Topic: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Experimentation VI)  (Read 18940 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Expansion II)
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2022, 11:22:59 am »

I can understand not wanting to go down the domesticated lions path, though I personally think it would be entertaining. However, I feel like you might be focusing on the wrong aspect of the bola proposal.
-Bolas are fairly dead-end as weapon tech goes, but they're not intended to serve as long-term military equipment. The primary purpose of the action is to be a stepping stone to domestication. In comparison, bows- while obviously having greater longevity as weapons- don't lead into other technologies as much.
-Lions are not the only game in town (so to speak). There are also elephants that could be domesticated at some point, and hopefully we will come across (or discover as a result of developing domestication) potential livestock as well. Domestication has great potential beyond simple attack lions- they would just be the first use case.
-Human enemies with ranged weapons may well come up, but we could just as easily- if not more easily- develop bows when they do. On the other hand, human enemies with any number of other advantages could emerge, where ranged weaponry wouldn't be as important. Heck, if humans with horses show up, attack lions would be great, and being able to steal their horses afterwards would be gravy. My point is that we shouldn't put too much stock in trying to pre-empt future threats, given the wide variety of potential dangers that could be out there.
Long Live United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2022, 01:58:59 pm »

The first point you list is actually part of the point; I view archery as more of a capstone to our woodworking tech and would prefer to move on towards other projects like pottery and metalworking rather than commit to multiple actions on domestication on the spot.

As to the future potential of domesticating animals such as elephants - yeah, that is pretty much a fair point, though like I've said it's not particularly the route I want to go down at this moment. I'm not sure that I buy the third argument though; attack lions as a counter to armed cavalry (esp. horse archers, especially if we're looking at early peoples, who aren't exactly rolling around with armor and lances) is far, far more situational than just having bows, which in general are a very solid base to have.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2022, 01:11:19 am »

Quote from: Major Votebox
Expand to 49-C and use a Wood Token (0):
Bolas (2.1): NUKE9.13, MINOR
Rope Traps (0):
Archery (1): Powder Miner
Quote from: Minor Votebox
Expand to 49-C and use a Wood Token ():
Bolas (2): Kashyyk, Taricus
Rope Traps (1): Doomblade
Archery (1): Fluffe9911

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2022, 12:33:36 pm »

Bolas (2.1): NUKE9.13, MINOR
Rope Traps (0):
Archery (2): Powder Miner, m1895
Archery (1): Fluffe9911

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2022, 12:43:43 pm »

Bolas (1): NUKE9.13
Rope Traps (0):
Archery (2): Fluffe9911, Lightforger

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2022, 08:41:11 pm »

Bolas (2): NUKE9.13, MINORS
Rope Traps (0):
Bolas (3): Kashyyk, Taricus, Doomblade
Rope Traps ():
Archery (2): Fluffe9911, Lightforger
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Exploitation II)
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2022, 11:25:20 pm »

Expansion II: The Fall Roll: 9 (society speedrun any%)

For the longest time the only real means of hunting and self-defense your people held was the spear. Thanks to the drive of a Minor Major Founder (NUKE9.13 +1I), a means of binding multiple stones together with a length of rope was devised that allowed the wielder to throw the device with relative accuracy and ease. Three or four stones were bundled separately in reed cords that met at a singular rope used to swing the stones in a circle over the hunter's head. When tossed, the momentum of the of the stones kept the Bolas flying forward as opposed to spinning off to the side as their attempts at using a single stone had shown. Bolas were made in a variety of sizes to take down small and medium targets by either wrapping around and binding their legs or outright breaking them.

Technology Discovered: Bolas (Requires access to Stone, costs 1 Textile for Upkeep)

Bolas were used by the tribes hunters with alarming efficiency, whipping through the Savannah's grasses and allowing the tribe to easily isolate and take down healthier Wildebeest than the stragglers they often had to wait for. Instead of having to follow the herd, your people were now able to lie in wait for where the herd would pass through and pick and choose their targets - not unlike another predator plaguing the Savannah.

Technology Discovered: Efficient Hunting (Provides +1 Food to exploited, hunted Food resources)

The Wildebeest Herd in 47-D now produces additional Food.

Hunting wasn't necessarily the only thing your tribesfolk had in mind with the advent of Bolas. It wasn't long before a lone young lioness stalked over from the East, emboldened by the successes she'd had hunting your people in the days before the Bolas were utilized. She'd gotten the jump on a pack of hunters, and as with most of her ilk had learned to prioritize avoiding the bite of spear thrusts. What the beast could not comprehend was what one of the hunters nearby was doing while swinging his arm wildly but purposefully over his head. The bolas wrapped around a foreleg and bruised the lioness, but was ineffective at halting her assault on one unfortunate hunter. She grabbed the tribal by the nape of the neck and attempted to run off with the fresh meal, but her efforts were hampered when her hind legs were bound by a second bolas. The maneater flailed and thrashed but to no avail, and the hunters, instead of delivering a final blow, waited for the lioness to exhaust herself. They suffered some serious but nonlife-threatening injuries when they worked another rope around her front legs before binding them all together and dragging her back to the tribe.

While they'd been hunted by this pride of lions and rightfully terrified of them, the tribe also respected the creatures to a high degree - the tribe was acting much the same to the local wildlife, after all. Without the predisposition of seeing themselves as a superior species, your tribe instead sought to teach the lioness to understand them, and perhaps leave them be. A rope was tied around the lioness' neck at one end and anchored to The Baobab. Days turned into weeks as the tribesfolk regularly brought meat and water to the lioness for nourishment, and eventually she stopped aggressively swiping at every human who came close. 

Of course, she eventually broke loose from her restraints and entered a Pit House where she slaughtered the family inside, but even though she had to be put down her change in behavior based on her treatment in captivity left a mark on your people. A less aggressive creature would have perhaps been a better foundation for learning the intricacies of how wildlife behaviors can be adjusted through human intervention, but the groundwork has been done and the theory spawned regardless.

Technology Discovered: Early Animal Domestication (while this technology provides no bonuses itself, it allows your people to attempt domestication of an animal-based resource)

After being killed, the lioness' body was laid before The Baobab but its remains were left untouched by scavengers, the offering not taken in its entirety by the mighty tree from the perspective of your people. Instead, her body rotted away and bones left to bleach in the sun. Your people took these bones left to them by The Baobab and crafted accessories from them - the first body alterations appeared at this time as string looped through pierced ears dangling a tooth or piece of claw, the piercings being created by thin pieces of bone sharpened to a very effective point. Necklaces of bone fragments woven into thicker cords also appeared during this time. The recent losses of a few of their pride shifted the lions' attentions to other less lethal prey, but your people believed it was the bones of the Lioness, blessed by The Baobab, that had begun to ward them off.

Technology Discovered: Animal Bone Accessories (Requires access to a living animal, improves Tribe morale)

No longer hunted relentlessly, your people no longer feel the need to mass produce spears for their defense.

It is now the Exploitation Phase. You may designate an unexploited resource to exploit or propose a new or improved means of exploiting resources. As always, you can ask me about whether or not a proposal is valid, clarification on things, and other questions related to the game either here or in the discord server linked in the OP.

Spoiler: Available Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Known Regions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources By Region (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tokens (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Master List (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 10:43:34 am by Man of Paper »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Founders - A RiskyArmsCivGodPoliticking Game (Exploitation II)
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2022, 11:31:07 pm »

Beasts of Burden

The discovery that we we can tame animals resonated strongly within the tribe. As such, an effort is being made to capture and domesticate some of the less... aggressive... animals of the area. Targets are to be captured, fed, and taught to follow the lead of their trainer. With hope, we can use them to drag pieces of wood or similar bulky items. In order to more successfully train the animals, we will build enclosures to separate and restrain problematic individuals and be able to isolate/separate by sex.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 03:24:38 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2022, 11:35:27 pm »

The Baobab accepts our offerings, helps us remembers our failures, and grants us the power we earn, the reward for the struggles for and ingenuity in our successes - what better marker of our people can there be?
Quote from: Name Votebox
People of the Baobab/Baobabi (demonym): (1) Powder Miner
Nothing for now: (0)

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2022, 06:39:03 am »

Exploit Clay

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2022, 12:33:49 pm »

Exploit Clay: (1) NUKE9.13
Beasts of Burden:
Exploit Clay:
Beasts of Burden:
People of the Baobab/Baobabi (demonym): (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13
I could be persuaded to go for a domestication action- only any of the three available targets, actually-, but I also want to work with clay at some point, and I feel with the lions already pacified we can afford some diversification.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 12:35:39 pm by NUKE9.13 »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2022, 12:37:20 pm »

(Is there going to be another game of this after somebody wins this round? I’d like to play it, but I would rather be a major one instead of a minor, and maybe take some designs in a different direction. 😅)

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2022, 12:49:43 pm »

Exploit Clay: (2) NUKE9.13, m1895
Beasts of Burden:
Exploit Clay:
Beasts of Burden:
Pottery time 8)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2022, 01:08:22 pm »

(Is there going to be another game of this after somebody wins this round? I’d like to play it, but I would rather be a major one instead of a minor, and maybe take some designs in a different direction. 😅)
The idea is that the game will go on for a long time, I think. But also the idea is that you can join as a minor and become a major if people like your ideas. As for taking designs in a different direction- well, it's a cooperative game, so that depends on whether people like your proposed direction.
Either way, it's early days yet- there's a lot of direction still to be determined. Join in, it doesn't require much investment.

Anyway, changed my mind. The more time we spend domesticating lions, the better the results (because we need them to undergo artificial evolution into the feline equivalent of a dog, which requires many generations). Better to start early.

Domesticated big cats? You're lion to me (Domesticate Lions):
Despite the unfortunate ending to the attempt to tame the lioness, many remember the progress made, and before long, a more organised attempt is made to bring lions to heel. Hunters set out with the specific goal of catching live lions, travelling eastwards in search thereof. They bring large quantities of meat with them on their 'hunts', which they use to bait their targets, such as by attempting to ambush lone lions that are drawn in by the free food. As big lions are more dangerous, and lion cubs very cute, they make a concerted effort to catch the cubs- challenging though it may be, with time and patience anything is possible.
Once acquired, the captives are treated like the first lioness, although there is a higher degree of caution taken to avoid... accidents. As a result, the most aggressive lions- those who absolutely cannot be tamed- are slain, cut down as they attempt to attack their captors. Those who learn to live with humans- or at least not attack them- are, after enough time in captivity, released. The initial idea being that they would return to their pride and tell them of how well they were treated, this morphs over time into a ritual practice. Consequently, unbeknownst to the tribe, artificial selection begins to favour lions that can get along with people. Eventually, perhaps, resulting in lions that voluntarily return to the settlement in search of food, opening a route towards further domestication.
Said further domestication might consist of teaching lions to join the hunt- having them chase game towards the hunters, enabling ever larger hauls of meat with less effort.

Exploit Clay: (1) m1895
Beasts of Burden:
Domesticate Lions: (1) NUKE9.13
Exploit Clay:
Beasts of Burden:
Domesticate Lions:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 01:30:27 pm by NUKE9.13 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2022, 01:14:29 pm »

Exploit Clay: (1) m1895
Beasts of Burden: (1.1) MINORS
Domesticate Lions: (1) NUKE9.13
Exploit Clay:
Beasts of Burden: (1) Doomblade
Domesticate Lions:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 01:21:47 pm by Doomblade187 »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28