Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 64

Author Topic: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Game Over!  (Read 40097 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Day 1: Bwuk Bwuk Little Chickens
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2022, 10:39:20 pm »

No shit, no third parties?  Ok that makes things a lot easier.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2022, 10:40:29 pm »

[1] To be perfectly honest, it's been years since I played a game so fuck if I know anymore.  I haven't the foggiest fucking clue what the "meta" is right now.

[2] Literally an impossible question.  But as a counter, what information did you think that would give you?
[1] The good news is that this is a Beginner's BYOR, so the shenanigans level should be stuck somewhere between 2 and 4 out of 10.

[2] Your perception of yourself. What kind of a player are you? That's a question too.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2022, 10:41:10 pm »

That's a valid assessment.  How then do you feel about policy lynches on lurkers?
Bear in mind that when I last played there was a plague of Extends, and many games died of inactivity. I personally am a huge fan of policy lynches on D1 specifically, but I think their use drops rapidly as the town gains information. Lurkers specifically are in my opinion major candidates for Policy-lynches, with all the same caveats that any other policy-lynch has (only do it when you don't have a solid scumread on someone, don't do it at MYLO/LYLO, overall use drops as game goes on, etc.)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2022, 10:41:43 pm »

Egan - Why are you claiming to be scum?

Because I am. I'm joking around since I've rolled mafia for most of my games thus far. My Miller claim is really real, though.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2022, 10:42:01 pm »

My thoughts on everyone right now generally: Game has just started, so there is nothing to go off of in terms of suspicion. Some people have posted, but not enough.. but reasonable to understand, considering how late it is currently (Eastern US time, for me, specifically)
A bit early, but I appreciate the enthusiasm!

Shame you're definitely scum.

Happy that you enjoy the enthusiasm, considering admittedly how much of a noob I am at these games. Dunno about the scum-shame thing tho...

Lidku - Miller Theory asks the question of what someone should do if they are town, but have an ability that makes them show up as scum to inspects. There is first) what should someone do if they are themselves a Miller, and second) what should a town player do when someone ELSE claims miller.

What in YOUR opinion, is the correct answer to those questions?

Okay?

Well I guess that person (the Miller in this instance) should alert the Town of that fact.

The rationale being: no confusion of trying to salvage an explanation later on, if an Inspect IS used on them. Better to lay out the truth and have the Town decide your fate. If the Town finds what you say too loose to believe, you at least can act as a guaranteed D1 sacrificial lynch to have the game proceed to D2, even though you weren't scum at all.

Anyways.. I guess once everyone begins finally posting, we can think of the next step (or you'll all decide by them time I'm sleep already).. I'm going to go to sleep for now.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2022, 10:51:27 pm »

First of all, I should say that during the weekdays I'll be at work so I can't guarantee timely responses during "normal business hours".

FallacyofUrist:
[2] Your perception of yourself. What kind of a player are you? That's a question too.
Well, I -think- I'm a decent player.  My W/L ratio is in the positives.  You also avoided my counter-question

Egan_BW:  I don't believe you.  I think you're pulling a miller gambit out of your ass.  Call it a gut feeling.  And if I get murdered in the night then everyone else can think my gut feeling was on point.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2022, 10:52:45 pm »

That's a valid assessment.  How then do you feel about policy lynches on lurkers?
Bear in mind that when I last played there was a plague of Extends, and many games died of inactivity. I personally am a huge fan of policy lynches on D1 specifically, but I think their use drops rapidly as the town gains information. Lurkers specifically are in my opinion major candidates for Policy-lynches, with all the same caveats that any other policy-lynch has (only do it when you don't have a solid scumread on someone, don't do it at MYLO/LYLO, overall use drops as game goes on, etc.)

As a very side point, this is why I don't run games with extends.  Put up or shut up.  Extends just kill activity IMO.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2022, 10:54:12 pm »

Maximum Spin - If you had a 1-shot dayInspect which would make wub post the result in-thread publicaly, when would you use it, and on who?
I don't like this question either. Assuming it can self-target, immediately, on myself.
Max - Why?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2022, 10:57:07 pm »

[1] First of all, I should say that during the weekdays I'll be at work so I can't guarantee timely responses during "normal business hours".

FallacyofUrist:
[2] Well, I -think- I'm a decent player.  My W/L ratio is in the positives.  You also avoided my counter-question

[1] Same here actually. Though I may be able to post from phone during lunchtime.

[2] My answer was 'your perception of yourself'. I'll go into more detail, though.

It's a way of asking 'what do you think you will think about the situation'. The only way to answer that is to go a layer beyond just what you're thinking. To get you to think about how you think, and give me an answer on that.

... It's admittedly a tricky question.

Because I am. I'm joking around since I've rolled mafia for most of my games thus far. My Miller claim is really real, though.
Break it down for me. You alignment inspect as mafia and you're always tracked / watched as going to the mafiakill's target?

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2022, 10:57:36 pm »

Why on yourself instead of on someone else, why immediately, and so on.

I don't care why you dislike my question of you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2022, 10:59:04 pm »

Egan_BW:  I don't believe you.  I think you're pulling a miller gambit out of your ass.  Call it a gut feeling.  And if I get murdered in the night then everyone else can think my gut feeling was on point.

A gut feeling, eh? Pushing me seems like a pretty safe play if you were mafia, to be honest.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2022, 11:00:17 pm »

[2] My answer was 'your perception of yourself'. I'll go into more detail, though.

It's a way of asking 'what do you think you will think about the situation'. The only way to answer that is to go a layer beyond just what you're thinking. To get you to think about how you think, and give me an answer on that.

... It's admittedly a tricky question.

Sorry, I still don't understand what you're asking.  If your asking about my methodology I'm not certain I can so succinctly summarize it?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2022, 11:02:21 pm »

A gut feeling, eh? Pushing me seems like a pretty safe play if you were mafia, to be honest.

And that response is a pretty safe response if -you- were mafia, to be honest.  Safe, but not optimal.  My vote stays.  Town would be less defensive.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2022, 11:03:54 pm »

Sorry, I still don't understand what you're asking.  If your asking about my methodology I'm not certain I can so succinctly summarize it?
I'm fine reading an essay about it if you need to go that far.

And that response is a pretty safe response if -you- were mafia, to be honest.  Safe, but not optimal.  My vote stays.  Town would be less defensive.
What makes it safe?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 64