Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)  (Read 34715 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)
« Reply #630 on: November 21, 2023, 11:54:35 pm »

Ok, that's fair. It's an IC problem but it's good to know where you stand OOC at least.

And I think Stirk was making a joke at the fact that Indaria basically admitted to accepting the deal which does in Imperium logic make her a heretic by default.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 22, 2023, 12:29:54 am »

I also want to make sure of this: Lenglon, do you know how bad it is in the 40k setting to make a deal with a daemon when you're technically on the Imperial side? Then to boot to tell a Lord-Captain that's an Imperium loyalist and ex-Navy Commissariat about it?

Like, I'm trying to check whether you are aware of how bad the situation is from an IC standpoint.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 22, 2023, 12:36:45 am »

Lenglon is aware that it SHOULD be immediate execution in 40k, no question. The tactical correct move for her would have been to keep that hidden forever at all costs.

Indaria is not actually. She knows it's bad, but her background is strange, and this is one of the holes in it. She's been exposed to a LOT of chaos, arguably more of chaos than of imperium. But shockingly enough, the mutant has never been in good imperial graces. I mean, she is, herself, one of those that would get executed simply for being a mutant in some places. So her sense of how bad something is is based on how bad it would be in a community of mutants, not in the mainstream imperium.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 22, 2023, 12:48:39 am »

Yes, then due to OOC courtesy I do think it's fair to chat about this. So how do you want this to end?

Marco is understanding enough to have a mutant as a crewmember, but he'd execute a pure human who made a deal with a daemon. But honestly I absolutely loathe PvP. I play Black Crusade, a game expected to have PvP, only if the campaign doesn't have it. So what are your proposed solutions? The most mercy I can see here is imprisonment and being left behind in her home planet since it's the next stop.
>Yes?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 22, 2023, 12:57:38 am »

I believe it's either that or a retcon, but I assume that might be a tough sell.
>Yes?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 22, 2023, 01:00:47 am »

I don't want her unable to play the game for obvious reasons, which your outcome results in. Her being penalized in general is fine

The real question is how pragmatic Marco is willing to be.
For example, I'd like to point out that under normal circumstances Xenos aboard ship would also be a major no as well.
Right now, he's got an active incursion she's dealing with, which imprisoning her would be a major setback towards dealing with.
He also should take into account the fact that she did come to him about it.
There's also several obvious why-based questions he hasn't asked, like, why did you do that, and why are you telling me.

also, I did go out of my way to flag that Indaria was prone to making the choices she made multiple times in OOC long, long before anything happened. If you really wanted to take such a firm stance it would have been courteous to say something back then.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 01:05:38 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 22, 2023, 01:16:12 am »

Honestly, in the current scenario her being expelled from the crew is necessary and non-negotiable. There's no need to ask why, inquire about her life and motivations and such. In-universe your suggestion is the rough equivalent of a guy showing up covered in blood to a police officer, confessing to a murder and expecting not to be arrested because the officer will understand why he's done it after he can explain his motivations and backstory. This isn't how things work in the setting. My WIP post that's been sitting around for a good while is basically
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Please don't insinuate I am to blame for a choice you made. It really isn't cool. The setup for the campaign has been clear for a good while. Xeno stuff at most, and only because Guilliman gave us a direct mission. Marco is an ex-Commissar. Please, please don't try and hoist that on me.
>Yes?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 22, 2023, 01:37:33 am »

Please don't insinuate that a choice you are making right now is my choice instead of yours. It really isn't cool. I communicated clearly and publicly for a good while now. Please, please don't try and hoist that on me.

You are issuing ultimatums, not having a conversation. Here's literally what you just said, trimmed:
Yes, then due to OOC courtesy I do think it's fair to chat about this. So how do you want this to end?
I don't want her unable to play the game for obvious reasons
your suggestion is the rough equivalent of a guy showing up covered in blood to a police officer, confessing to a murder

Please don't insinuate I am to blame
My "suggestion" was literally "I want my character to be playable". Are you honestly saying I'm being unreasonable by asking for my character to be playable? Really? I now see why you brought up PvP.

I'm not going to be gaslit into thinking that YOUR choices regarding what Marco does are my fault. I have never said that you are to blame for me making my own choices, I said that if you wanted to take such a hardline stance about my choices, essentially removing choice from my character, it would have been polite to at least say something. Your attempt to gaslight me about it is why I'm throwing your words back into your face over it.

As far as I can tell, you're just going through the motions right now. You might as well come clean and stop dancing around. Are you or are you not issuing a flat ultimatum that either we retcon that my character do / not do what you want, else your character will initiate pvp / make mine unplayable?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 22, 2023, 01:47:18 am »

Here, I'll try to back things up a step and de-escalate. No point in pointing fingers.

Lets plan on and pre-map a retcon + conversation, and work together for how the conversation should end up:

Indaria's goals:
She is attempting to be completely open and honest with Marco. (negotiable, it hasn't been hard-established that she insists on being open and honest with Marco at all times, but going that route is just kicking the can down the road.)
She intends to keep what she got from her gamble. (negotiable, can be temporarily taken away with an OOC agreement that she gets it back later, or might find out that it's bound to her from Stirk when removal is attempted?)
She needs to remain a playable character. (non-negotiable, temporary imprisonment is fine, permanent removal from play is not)

What are Marco's goals?

edit: labeling how negotiable things are
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 03:31:03 am by Lenglon »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 22, 2023, 02:51:46 am »

triple posting but I think you're probably in preview atm and I want to get this out:

The reason I'm not proposing specific solutions is because that would require me playing Marco, not Indaria. I'm not Marco's player, and have zero interest in playing Marco. I've instead been telling you what is important to me, and saying that everything else is up for grabs. The list of options that are on the table to me is nearly all of them, and I specifically included Indaria being punished within the specified limits as an option because it's what I think should happen and in other circumstances it would be considered hostile, but in these I would NOT consider it hostile. You're right that she shouldn't get away scot-free with this, I just think you're going too far.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 22, 2023, 04:45:40 pm »

Kedia is for taking whatever Indaria got and tossing it out the airlock at the earliest opportunity, since possessing such a thing is obviously a bad idea. Some punishment is probably appropriate but I don't get the impression that Eldar are really blam-happy about stuff like imperials. I don't really know the lore but I guess they don't have to worry as much about chaos heresy because everyone knows that it's a really really bad idea for eldar to align with chaos and those who do probably don't live long enough to be a big threat.

That said it's not really her area to weigh in, except in that Seers are sort of spiritual council. Maybe she could confirm a lack of (additional) corruption?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 23, 2023, 12:44:35 am »

So, how about that de-escalation?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 24, 2023, 01:45:31 am »

The word you are both looking for is "foist".

The core problem here seems to me to be that Lenglon has, this whole time, been playing a character that Caellath's character would never in a million years have trusted. How did you two even end up on the same ship in the first place? Lenglon seems to think "this is something Indaria would do", but if that were the case, Indaria would have been quietly shot before the game started. The only way this premise even makes sense is if we assume this is, in fact, Indaria's absolute first brush with chaos at least as far as Marco knows, and there's simply no way that Marco would react with anything less than complete fury at the betrayal.

Caellath isn't required to compromise his character's ideals or act in a way he believes his character wouldn't just to make Lenglon's life easier. While I generally agree with Stirk's personal GMing theory, myself, that it's okay for players to get into fights sometimes, I know that many people would say that Stirk is to blame for allowing this contradiction to exist in the first place. Still, Lenglon should never have acted in a way that was clearly against the other player's interests unless starting such a fight was exactly the intent.

I wonder, though, if Marco would accept as a solution the immediate surrender and destruction of the chaos amulet, followed by Indaria's complete demotion and placement under the supervision of the ship's ecumenical authorities. If you need an excuse to keep them from defaulting to immediate execution, you can say "I just noticed the tail for the first time!"
It's the only context I can think of where my character would be okay with Indaria staying on the ship, so I thought it might work for you too.
Lenglon, though... you need to pull your head out, here. You made a choice which makes problems for other players. If you somehow didn't know that accepting a deal with a daemon would be making problems for other players, I cannot comprehend what totally different game thread, game system, and entire lore you have been reading from the rest of us. You cannot refuse to compromise your character's actions when offered a 100% completely selfish (on your part) deal that you knew ahead of time was being proposed for evil purposes, then bitch when Caellath refuses to compromise his in reacting to it. You are not being gaslit, you did something shitty and now trying to draw red lines about what's "negotiable" for you is doubling down. Other players have the right to remove a problem player from the group, and a problem player is what you've just made yourself. I don't currently think it's necessary to do that, and I don't want to have a retcon, but you must accept at a minimum that nobody is going to be okay with you keeping a literal chaos artefact on the ship. Even my character is not going to work next to that thing if he finds out and he's the least straight-laced one here. You do know the first rule of gambling is that the house always wins, right? As long as that thing's around, you didn't keep your soul, you just won a slower corruption. Daemons don't offer two-sided deals.

But besides the question of whether the thing is evil within the game itself, the important part is that you do not get to demand unrestricted freedom of choice, then refuse the same to others. You are being incredibly selfish.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 24, 2023, 03:18:37 am »

Okay, so lets start from the top.
Marco and Indaria are naturally incompatible.
This is true, but it's so very much not my fault that it's true that it's silly. I view it as a nobody's fault kind of thing, it's just something that happened, and I think you view it similarly? Not sure if there was a point you were driving towards with this section or if you were just setting the stage and showing how this kind of problem was semi-inevitable.
I wonder, though, if Marco would accept as a solution the immediate surrender and destruction of the chaos amulet, followed by Indaria's complete demotion and placement under the supervision of the ship's ecumenical authorities. If you need an excuse to keep them from defaulting to immediate execution, you can say "I just noticed the tail for the first time!"
It's the only context I can think of where my character would be okay with Indaria staying on the ship, so I thought it might work for you too.
We seem to have a values dissonance problem here.
Lenglon, though... you need to pull your head out, here.
Well that's hostile, guess we aren't going to get to have a polite conversation.
rant about how Indaria ate babies by making a choice that put herself in danger and nobody else.
Yeah, definitely values dissonance.
trying to draw red lines about what's "negotiable" for you is doubling down
The only thing that I labeled as not being negotiable, in my conversation with another player, not the GM, was that she remain a playable character. I drew the red line so far back it's absurd, and the simple fact that I felt the need to draw it at all should tell you how extreme the situation has become, all about a choice that I made a point of staying public about from start to finish in case someone wanted to say, oh, "please don't do that?". I know it's hard for you to understand that asking someone to not do something might influence them into not doing it, but that's because I'm less of an asshole than you are, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm an asshole.
But besides the question of whether the thing is evil within the game itself, the important part is that you do not get to demand unrestricted freedom of choice, then refuse the same to others. You are being incredibly selfish.
In what world have I demanded anything of the kind in the first place? Unlike you, I abide by a rule of not fucking over friendlies, which, of course, restricts my freedom of choice substantially. You had the freedom to choose for yourself as well. All I'm asking for is that Cael abide by the same, and I have clearly labeled that I'm fine with her getting punished to a reasonable extent and explicitly am fine with it within limits, even though that's not normally a thing a PC should do to another PC.

Values dissonance problem:
So we've got two major aspects of values dissonance going on here. First, there's the simple fact that the 40k universe fosters extremely domineering, judgemental, prejudicial, and hateful behavior. It's all part of the grimdark flavor, which is fine. The problem comes from the fact that this shit is unhealthy as hell when applied to fellow real human beings. Just because the imperium would shoot Indaria on sight, doesn't mean Cael should shoot Lenglon on sight. I think nobody here disagrees with that. However there's some other aspects to it. For example, Macro is the RT is the lord and god of the ship. Cael is just another player the same as you and me. No better, no worse. Although Marco gets to make demands of Indaria, Cael doesn't get to make demands of Lenglon. Not hard, right?

So take a moment and actually fucking look at what you're saying. You're saying that this choice, made publicly, with zero objection and straight up implied consent of the other players, is a reason to remove another player from the game entirely. You're declaring me a problem player for... taking a risk to my own character, and requesting that I don't be unilaterally executed for it. Yeah, if You and I were in the 40k universe this kind of treatment of other people would be nothing, normal, mild and friendly. This isn't the 40k universe, and people actually do have value here in reality.

Second aspect of values dissonance is the simple question of was Indaria's choice an evil choice? Apparently you say yes it was. The Imperium of Hate would agree with you, 100%, no question. But was it ACTUALLY an evil choice? I think not. It was a risky choice, yes. It was unwise, yes. However, did she put anyone at risk other than herself? No. She did not. She has harmed nobody, she's put nobody at risk other than herself, and I want you to seriously sit down and think for a moment about if it actually was evil at all.

Let me make my bad decision. I, the player (Lenglon), think having Indaria's story being one where she treads on the edge of falling to Chaos but resists actually doing so, will make her have a fun and engaging story. That's my choice. It's my risk to take.

And I'm still waiting for Cael to bring literally anything to the table here. So far he's stated that his hard line is remove Indaria from play permanantly at a minimum, which completely unreasonable and unacceptable, so he's going to have to give, since I've already given quite a lot and don't have a lot more room to work with. I would like to talk this out like functional adults, but a negotiation requires more than one participant, and Cael isn't posting.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 24, 2023, 03:49:06 am »

To reply to the most important part first: Of course it was an evil choice. When you say "put nobody else at risk other than yourself", that is a lie. It is nothing more than an absolute lie. In either possible outcome of the deal, you are risking bringing harm to others; in the case that you lose, by what you might later be forced to do because you are corrupted, and in the case that you win, because you are keeping a chaos artefact in close proximity to everyone else and you have no idea what other effects it might have besides the one you know about. You realize that TTRPGs are an open-ended form of game, right? It's entirely possible that in a future situation, Stirk could decide for any reason that the chaos artefact becomes a problem - it would be narratively natural. It's clear to me now that you really don't have any clue what you actually did.

Lenglon, though... you need to pull your head out, here.
Well that's hostile, guess we aren't going to get to have a polite conversation.
You have no idea how polite I'm being.
The only thing that I labeled as not being negotiable, in my conversation with another player, not the GM, was that she remain a playable character. I drew the red line so far back it's absurd, and the simple fact that I felt the need to draw it at all should tell you how extreme the situation has become, all about a choice that I made a point of staying public about from start to finish in case someone wanted to say, oh, "please don't do that?". I know it's hard for you to understand that asking someone to not do something might influence them into not doing it, but that's because I'm less of an asshole than you are, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm an asshole.
Let me be clear: I don't have any issue with you making the choice you made, I have an issue with you telling other people how to respond to it. "Remaining a playable character" is not something you get to demand - if you had stumbled into a trap and died, you would not remain a playable character. If other players don't make the decision to compromise their own ideas of what they should do in order to save you, that's their right. Well, you stumbled into an obvious trap and died.
But you also know that you have the freedom to react in character too, right? If Marco makes a choice you don't like, you can go down the Dark Indaria route, you can mutiny, you can pretend to leave and then stow away on board, you can even try to use the amulet to pray to the daemon to help you out again. I don't have any problem with PVP, so all of those are things I would be completely okay with, although some of the other players may reasonably dislike it. What you decide to do is up to you. What Marco decides to do is up to Caellath.
In what world have I demanded anything of the kind in the first place? Unlike you, I abide by a rule of not fucking over friendlies, which, of course, restricts my freedom of choice substantially. You had the freedom to choose for yourself as well. All I'm asking for is that Cael abide by the same, and I have clearly labeled that I'm fine with her getting punished to a reasonable extent and explicitly am fine with it within limits, even though that's not normally a thing a PC should do to another PC.
"Unlike me"? What did I do? Unlike me, you actually fucked over friendlies. It's become glaringly obvious that you didn't actually have a clue what you were doing, though, so, to be clear: It should have been obvious to you, yes, that other players and other characters would respond like this to your choice. Not explicitly telling you not to do it - and you were told not to do it IC - doesn't mean you haven't fucked us over by putting us in this position. Given that, if you want to take it back based on that understanding which you clearly did not have, I would be in favor of your being allowed to do so. But that's up to you. You're not being punished for not understanding that - I genuinely thought it was completely impossible to miss, and I suspect the other players did as well. I assumed, as I think we all did, that you made your choice in full awareness of the ramifications. If you didn't, you now know those ramifications and maybe you would make a different decision knowing them.

ETA,A: I think that, if any of us had known that you all of A) were actually going to take the deal, not merely 'consider it and then change your mind at the last second', B) intended to immediately tell the very strict and by-the-book Captain that you had done so, knowing, at least OOC, the obvious consequence, C) expected that you would not receive the obvious consequence and felt entitled to have the other players play along with that, and D) were soliciting opinions on these facts and not just informing us of them, then we would have advised against doing the thing that would clearly lead to the game devolving into (real-world) chaos. Perhaps, in the future, if you want to offer people the chance to object to something, you should make that clear and not just make a statement and assume that, if nobody says anything, everyone else must be on board. That's a little narcissistic, to be honest.
Values dissonance problem:
So we've got two major aspects of values dissonance going on here. First, there's the simple fact that the 40k universe fosters extremely domineering, judgemental, prejudicial, and hateful behavior. It's all part of the grimdark flavor, which is fine. The problem comes from the fact that this shit is unhealthy as hell when applied to fellow real human beings. Just because the imperium would shoot Indaria on sight, doesn't mean Cael should shoot Lenglon on sight. I think nobody here disagrees with that. However there's some other aspects to it. For example, Macro is the RT is the lord and god of the ship. Cael is just another player the same as you and me. No better, no worse. Although Marco gets to make demands of Indaria, Cael doesn't get to make demands of Lenglon. Not hard, right?
But Lenglon gets to make demands of Cael?

So take a moment and actually fucking look at what you're saying. You're saying that this choice, made publicly, with zero objection and straight up implied consent of the other players, is a reason to remove another player from the game entirely. You're declaring me a problem player for... taking a risk to my own character, and requesting that I don't be unilaterally executed for it. Yeah, if You and I were in the 40k universe this kind of treatment of other people would be nothing, normal, mild and friendly. This isn't the 40k universe, and people actually do have value here in reality.
First of all, let's not call "not overtly telling you what to do" "implied consent". Second, I'm declaring you a problem player for making a choice that puts other players in a difficult situation, and telling them how they are or are not allowed to respond to it.
Third, your framing is also ridiculous. Even if the decision is made to continue playing without you, that is not the same as you being executed in real life. Whining that "people actually do have value" ignores the fact that, in the context of the game, your value as a player of the game is the enjoyment you are giving to other players. If people don't enjoy playing with you, your value as a player is negative and other people are not required to play with you. As of this last post, I feel that I have officially moved firmly into that camp, but I think this is something you can understand if you try to empathize with the other players. Please reconsider your attitude. This is just a game and the point is for us all to have fun.

Second aspect of values dissonance is the simple question of was Indaria's choice an evil choice? Apparently you say yes it was. The Imperium of Hate would agree with you, 100%, no question. But was it ACTUALLY an evil choice? I think not. It was a risky choice, yes. It was unwise, yes. However, did she put anyone at risk other than herself? No. She did not. She has harmed nobody, she's put nobody at risk other than herself, and I want you to seriously sit down and think for a moment about if it actually was evil at all.
I did, as I said above. I think you don't actually understand the full narrative meaning of your choice. You put everyone's lives at risk and are continuing to do so.

Let me make my bad decision. I, the player (Lenglon), think having Indaria's story being one where she treads on the edge of falling to Chaos but resists actually doing so, will make her have a fun and engaging story. That's my choice. It's my risk to take.
As I said, you have every right to make your decision as a player. So do all the other players. Us reacting to your choices is not refusing to let you make a choice.

And I'm still waiting for Cael to bring literally anything to the table here. So far he's stated that his hard line is remove Indaria from play permanantly at a minimum, which completely unreasonable and unacceptable, so he's going to have to give, since I've already given quite a lot and don't have a lot more room to work with. I would like to talk this out like functional adults, but a negotiation requires more than one participant, and Cael isn't posting.
I don't think you understand how much of an asshole you are being here. Cael is almost certainly deeply uncomfortable with the position you have put him in because he doesn't want to make a choice that will hurt your feelings, but doesn't see any other way out for his character that preserves his own desire to play the game.
So let me be clear. He doesn't "have to give". Nobody owes anyone the continuation of this game. If it's going to be like this, we could end it here. I don't want that to happen, but if you really are going to be this obtuse about it, I think it ultimately has to. Making demands that other people compromise to accommodate a choice you voluntarily made in the way you're happy with is not "talking this out like functional adults", it's you being a petulant child. You do not get to decide whether other people's decisions are "unreasonable and unacceptable". This game is for all of us, not just you. That's why, as someone who's willing to be blunt and not uncomfortable with making the statement, I stepped in to clarify matters and give a couple suggestions for how the game could continue with all players using their current characters.

But by the way, using the power of chaos to lie to people about your nature is not "treading on the edge of falling into Chaos but resisting actually doing so". It's swimming in it. I think this is the real values dissonance here... the WH40K lore makes clear that chaos is an intrinsically destructive power that will turn anyone who uses it for its own ends, somehow, eventually. Making deals with it is risking harm to the people around you automatically, no matter how much you think you're coming out on top in the deal. The house always wins. You already let the wolf in, the question now is just how much makeup you want to put on it before seating it at the dinner table.

ETA: You know how, in old fairy tales, if you make a wager with the devil, even if you win, the thing you win ends up turning against you and delivering some kind of poetic justice, because the real moral is "don't make deals with the devil", not "don't lose"? It's exactly like that.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 04:17:48 am by Maximum Spin »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 47