Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)  (Read 34681 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)
« on: July 01, 2022, 12:16:51 am »

You find yourselves approached by a strange client. An Eldar, in what appears to be theatrical clothing. That would hardly be a strange client for a seasoned Rogue Trader. What makes this client strange is that their request is backed by Regent Roboute Guilliman, son of the Emperor himself. If his support is a forgery it is an expert one that has fooled all attempts at detection on your ship and beyond. If that is not yet strange enough they claim that this mission will help end Chaos once as for all - a statement that would be immediately declared heresy if the Regent's note did not specifically state the request was non-heretical in nature.

In short, it is a treasure hunt. You are to find large quantities of an artifact Eldar stone without damaging them. Once discovered you are to turn them over to the Eldar. In return you will receive favors and promises from the highest ranks of both the Eldar and Imperium, in addition to no less valuable physical assets. To achieve this goal your Warrant has been upgraded with an "Amendment of Unity" penned by Guilliman's hand. So long as you abide by the requirements you will be allowed to interact with the Eldar as if they where Imperial in all ways. You will be able to brandish Eldar weaponry and recruits openly - so long as those who would take issue with it respect Roboute's orders. Likewise you will be able to purchase and trade for Eldar goods straight from the source - so long as the source respects whatever name is penned in the Eldar's language on your Amendment.

Game-wise Eldar weaponry will count as one Rarity less for acquisition. You will start the game with one free piece of Eldar ship equipment.

However there is a catch. Two catches really. The first is that in return you must behave yourself around the Eldar. If you make trouble with them the Amendment will immediately revoked, and the wording is broad enough that it can essentially be revoked at any time should your behavior be anything less than impeccable. Second is to enforce the first, you must allow and Eldar representative to watch your ship. They are not required to have any authority over the operation of the ship but are the one capable of revoking your Amendment at any time. Still it isn't quite a free ride, they are to act as your liaison to the Eldar and direct you toward possible troves of the target stone.

Can you use this unique opportunity to thrust your dynasty into greatness? Is this an elaborate Eldar plot for some unthinkable goal? If Chaos is truly threatened will you be able to make it out with your bodies and souls intact?

What is Rogue Trader?

A 40K RPG. You're basically either a super rich guy who owns a spaceship that he uses to get more money, or his close companions. You explore the unknown, looking for anything that will benefit you in any way and reaping the benefits no matter the cost. Reading the books would probably tell you more.

Do we have to follow this plot?

The Rogue Trader decides what you do. If you decide to throw the Eldar out the airlock or just ignore them its up to you. But then I'd have to write a new plot :/.

So how do I make a character?

Follow the instructions in the book. If you need the instructions, you can PM me for them. All books are valid for character creation and equipment, including Xenos. You can create multiple characters with the same position, including RT, without problems so don't worry too much about other people's characters. If you do not have an RT one will be provided for you. 

You can either roll or use point buy to your discretion. Character creation rolls are on the honor system, do them yourself.

You have one free choice on the Origin Path. You may use it at any level.

You will have base 90 SP and PF combined. This can possibly change based on the characters that join, so you will decide your ship after characters have been created. You must have a functional ship at start, both otherwise SP and PF can be converted freely to the final value. The free Eldar equipment will not cost SP from this pool.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 10:29:25 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Rouge Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 08:05:52 am »

Will this be on the forums or over discord?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 09:23:42 am »

Will this be on the forums or over discord?

On the forums

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 10:14:41 pm »

I chose to use point buy.
Spoiler: Regina Winters (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 06:30:14 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 11:02:13 pm »

I chose to use point buy.
Spoiler: Regina Winters (click to show/hide)

You get one more item, anything as long as the test would be +0 or less. Which can be a non-item thing like minions I guess. Either way you get one more thing.

Do you have any detail to add to your backstory, or to your personality and appearance? As a/the RT you also can detail your Dynasty history if you want. Or guide it if you have any preferences. Like you're a total non-combatant, is that strange for your lineage or is that the norm?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 04:36:10 am »

making a character.
edit:
Spoiler: Indaria (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: background (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: progression (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Teeth the Raptor (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 01:30:42 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 01:34:43 pm »

And here I was, really hoping for an illicit cosmetics smuggling RPG...

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 03:43:44 pm »

And here I was, really hoping for an illicit cosmetics smuggling RPG...

Every given RT game had a non-zero chance of cosmetic smuggling. I’ll PM you if it comes up.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 04:02:08 pm »

You get one more item, anything as long as the test would be +0 or less. Which can be a non-item thing like minions I guess. Either way you get one more thing.
[.quote]
I thought what item I get depended on our Profit Factor? We haven't determined one yet (I feel like this is a group decision.)
Do you have any detail to add to your backstory, or to your personality and appearance?
Sure, I will write something up.
As a/the RT you also can detail your Dynasty history if you want. Or guide it if you have any preferences. Like you're a total non-combatant, is that strange for your lineage or is that the norm?
What do you mean by "guide it"? Is there an in-game way to generate it? (I only read the first 2 chapters of the book)
Being a "non-combatant" is not strange- we Winters resolve conflicts with our silver tongue.
And if that fails, and in my case it fails regularly due to my hot bloodedness, I have enough survivability to hold out until the cavalry arrives.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 07:51:01 pm »

Posting to play, I will write up a character later today. Debating between an astropath and an adept, though I might peek at some of the xeno options since they're on the table.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 10:25:47 pm »

I thought what item I get depended on our Profit Factor? We haven't determined one yet (I feel like this is a group decision.)

It is a group decision, but your first Acquisition is not dependent on PF. You automatically get it as long as the modifiers are +0 or easier. These modifiers won't change, and since you arn't rolling PF you don't need to have your PF figured out.

What do you mean by "guide it"? Is there an in-game way to generate it? (I only read the first 2 chapters of the book)
Being a "non-combatant" is not strange- we Winters resolve conflicts with our silver tongue.
And if that fails, and in my case it fails regularly due to my hot bloodedness, I have enough survivability to hold out until the cavalry arrives.

Guide it either with the book guide or with me asking questions like the non-combatant one. Into the Storm has a Linage option that works like character creation for your house history, and can be one way to decide your starting PF and SP.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 11:01:55 pm »

My submission. (I rolled for stats.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Haven't done any backstory yet. I used that spreadsheet sheet, which I can discord to you if you want to see the whole thing.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 11:17:16 pm »

My submission. (I rolled for stats.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Haven't done any backstory yet. I used that spreadsheet sheet, which I can discord to you if you want to see the whole thing.

Sure. It always looks pretty. You still get your one free Acquisition too.

@A1s

Since there are two RTs your backstories should have a reason for your alliance. I'd suggest one but since neither of you have backstories yet there isn't much I can connect :-/. You both have wintery names so a familial relationship wouldn't seem weird.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 11:30:13 pm »

((I have no issue changing which RT I'm affiliated with in my backstory by the way.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 12:40:18 pm »

@A1s

Since there are two RTs your backstories should have a reason for your alliance. I'd suggest one but since neither of you have backstories yet there isn't much I can connect :-/. You both have wintery names so a familial relationship wouldn't seem weird.
(how does that even work? do we get 2 ships?)
No, Maximum Spin seems to know what they are doing more than I do (and should get to be the RT). I will create a new character. Let's see, we got a tank, a speaker, I will be a mage.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47