Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Crispy Boys: The Inevitable Domination of Humanity by Gene-Edited Genius (Outs?)  (Read 1966 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

From the Save the World Awards!
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile

At this point, I have simply accepted whatever happens. I think it's too early to say what the future will be like beyond the next two or three years, as we are in a transitional period of widespread upheaval. Will what comes out of it be better or worse? Who knows, time will tell.

There's plenty of animals with higher radiation tolerances. Shrug
They are very simple animals. You can't make humans be as tolerant to radiation as tardigrades.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From the Save the World Awards!
Very nice I know just where to put it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anything CRISPR experiments can archive for a induvidual, a nation can aproxmiate cheaper using current tools (basic healthcare for many gets you the same "national" result as near-immortality for one, as a silly example), but once that is tapped in or crispr is ready for mass-use, we will hopefully be in a "wiser" world.

Or maybe there are no trickle-down-brainonomics.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

They are very simple animals. You can't make humans be as tolerant to radiation as tardigrades.

The Mummichog - radiation resistant fish. Not a mammal, but who knows.
Reading a thinner book

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Mummichog - radiation resistant fish. Not a mammal, but who knows.
In any case, it's not one gene. Genetics isn't like in movies, where you can give someone extraordinary abilities just by changing a few genes. Making humans radiation-resistant would require far more radical changes, and since the human brain is large, complicated, and fragile, I highly doubt it is possible at all while preserving sapience.

In any case, this "WHAT IF AI?!" "WHAT IF GENE MODIFICATION?!" alarmism is silly because there's a more direct, imminent, and realistic threat to humanity: climate change. We, as a society, should at least try to get that under control before worrying about scenarios that are basically science fiction.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 08:49:39 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Arguably, a human in a lead-lined coat is a radiation resistant mammal.

It depends on how much radiation exposure.

There are other genes to be edited.  In fact, I think the children in the article had other gene work done.
I also read an article about a gene editor in the United States.  The tech is spreading.

Hm, the big question is whether gene editing means no Stephen Hawking, or a more mobile Stephen Hawking?

In the United States, my thoughts turn to liability.  If a hospital gene edits a fetus, and that fetus dies from a new form of childhood cancer, is that hospital liable? Probably.
It is the same as that wonderful flame retardant material called Asbestos and Mesothelioma.
This of course is assuming that we're talking about actually editing the cells rather than destroying the ones we don't like.

EDIT: Anyone else think it's fucked up that China would experiment on girls to make them HIV immune? Especially considering how they recently made a young woman athlete "disappear" when she refused the advances of a Party Leader?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In general, I support genetic modification for reasons that should be obvious.

uwu

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even to create infection-resistant concubines for Party Leadership, which is the insinuation I was making above?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Even to create infection-resistant concubines for Party Leadership, which is the insinuation I was making above?
In general, I support genetic modification for reasons that should be obvious.

uwu
To cure diseases and for better living conditions for humanity???

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Despite my WTF moment regarding this particular story, I see Genetic Engineering, if viable, as inevitable.
Hopefully the medical community doesn't fuck up too badly and make everyone born in 2045 deathly vulnerable to the Common Cold, but humanity will probably survive.

Historically, humanity has bettered its ability to think and act over time.  Better diet (in general), better literacy, the identifying and elimination of environmental pollutants, the forming of societies where those who think start to benefit from natural selection rather than losing out to those who are big & scary, etc.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah. Assuming climate change or nuclear war doesn't kill us, human civilization has been through far worse.

My main concern is a little more local: democratic backsliding in America.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, the next generation of Gene-Edited Geniuses can figure it out, I'm sure...

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And I see no problem with that. I will never accomplish anything of note myself anyways.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

In any case, this "WHAT IF AI?!" "WHAT IF GENE MODIFICATION?!" alarmism is silly because there's a more direct, imminent, and realistic threat to humanity: climate change. We, as a society, should at least try to get that under control before worrying about scenarios that are basically science fiction.

basically science fiction

Our lives are basically science fiction. We're living in an exponential technological change curve. You're wrong-headed.

Yeah. Assuming climate change or nuclear war doesn't kill us, human civilization has been through far worse.

Yes...

Looks around

but never in this context.

It's not a matter of our credentials. It's also not about 'established problems', because... exponential technological change curve. 20 years away is a long long way away. It's about crossing our fingers and finding our fortune.

Despite my WTF moment regarding this particular story

Realisticness check; Gene-editing is a edge. We need edges. People like edges.

You shouldn't be surprised.
Reading a thinner book

Pages: 1 [2] 3