Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Smithbridges riverside succession fortress - Overseers needed!  (Read 14716 times)

Bombyx Mori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smithbridges riverside succession fortress - Overseers needed!
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2022, 08:28:12 am »

Yes, most of the animals died in the fire. However, a water buffalo bull and baby llama were able to survive the whole ordeal (I'm pretty sure at least one of them actually had to run between the flames). A giant hedgehog was moved to the zoo before the fire along with a black mamba, but unfortunately the giant echidna didn't make it in time.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2022, 08:36:38 am »

Chuck me in for another turn please
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2022, 12:16:04 pm »

Yes, most of the animals died in the fire. However, a water buffalo bull and baby llama were able to survive the whole ordeal (I'm pretty sure at least one of them actually had to run between the flames). A giant hedgehog was moved to the zoo before the fire along with a black mamba, but unfortunately the giant echidna didn't make it in time.

good riddance to the echidna. post-smallhands, I look at every monotreme suspiciously.

picking up the save now. expect a week or so to complete, with regular journals.

Any player requests? for re-dwarfing or otherwise

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2022, 12:15:58 am »

my apologies, but the time I thought I was going to have has evaporated into thin air. please skip my turn for now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bombyx Mori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2022, 03:14:32 am »

Understood Salmeuk, I've removed you from the overseer list for now. Which means it's on to Brewer Bob!

Also, our overseer list is looking rather short, so any new overseers would be greatly appreciated.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2022, 06:04:09 am »

Which means it's on to Brewer Bob!

Noted. I'll start my turn either today or tomorrow.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2022, 04:36:29 pm »

Smithbridges, year 187 - Part I:
Pest Control

Ah, it seems that once more I have been appointed to act as the overseer for a year.

It is about time I get to put down my pile of stock records and put things in proper order. Maybe I'll get something else to think than the death of 'Bralbaard'?

My  first order of business will be to assign all those skeletal remains on the surface to be sent to the Atom Smasher. We certainly don't need any corpses lying around our walls ready for any nefarious necromancer to animate them.

Second, I'll order all rooms to be furnished with cabinets. That'll help out with keeping things tidy and clean.

Third. We need soap. There's only so much that a dwarf can clean with plain water. And soap will be needed at the infirmary. As we already have an ashery, we only need a soapmaker's shop.

There are all sorts of small neglected needs that have to be looked into.

Uh-oh. The horrible necromancer experiments outside the confines of our fortress are breeding like rabbits.

Something has to be done to them despite them being no threat for now. This'll need more rougher methods than 'Delphonso's' gelding blade.

But first, let us take care of other things.

One of the weavers is struck by a fey mood. The year will begin with a new artifact!

The magma pipes below the new forges and smelters are full. It is time to let our pump operators catch some breath and set their focus on other tasks.

And of course the elves arrive at this point.

Well, time to see what we'll have to trade with them this year.

...Oh.

Seems like our trade depot can't be reached by wagons. Fortunately, the elves have none. They can easily dodge our traps.

And a broker. We need a broker. I will ask if Tulon, our mayor, would like to broker the deals. She is by far the most qualified of us and has a way with words, though admittedly her skills in appraisal are lacking.

We have put the restless spirit of 'Obsidian' to the final rest he deserves.

After we traded some of our junk for a bunch of clothing, animals and fruit, Kol finished his artifact.

“Commoncherish the Oracular Moon”, a giant cave spider silk coat worth 30,760 Urists. A coat fit for a king, indeed. Though, one might wonder why Kol chose to put an image of cowpea plants in naked mole dog bone on it.

A goblin bard came to visit and asked to stay and entertain the citizens. Well, why not?

The petition was accepted.

While we were occupied in trying to deal with buzzards pestering our citizens on the surface, something more insidious crept in from the depths: a forgotten beast!

It was Akon straight from the legends. An enormous, emaciated blob composed of ash with two long, straight tails. It was harrassing our newly bought animals when Èrith spotted the foul beast while collecting webs for the looms.

The alarm was sounded!

As the dwarves rushed to safety, poor Onol was slowed down by a chunk of galena he was hauling and the horror from the deep caught him.

Fortunately Onol was good at dodging and avoided the charging of the beast long enough for the soldiers to arrive. The spearmaster Medtob rushed swiftly to the rescue, stabbing the beast with her spear and slaying it in one mighty blow!

Disaster was narrowly avoided this time.

Since the breeding of the Dogs of Kiradoth was getting out of control, something had to be done. The Reclusive Syrups were assigned the duty of “pest control” -- that is, killing the dogs. It was not much of an effort and soon all the dogs lay dead.

Next to do the same with the ever-growing pack of Anurcika's Dogs at the southern borders...

The mission was easily accomplished, though walking around the western border wall was quite a hike.

Oddom felt so proud of the deed that he named his bronze battle axe.

Ah, yes! Finally! A human scholar arrived at Smithbridges and petitioned to stay and study. Most delightful! Someone with whom to discuss and ponder meaningful topics!

Spring would be soon over and things seemed to be progressing well.

And so summer came...

...but not alone.

Once again we were beset by the dreadful abominations created by the necromancers!

Yet, even though the alarm was sounded, there was no hope for some dwarves who were hauling the corpses of the Anurcika's Dogs from beyond the wall: the enemy cut their path to the gates.

Reg Seizedorb, a bookbinder, Rith Boatswallows, a pump operator, and 'Salmeuk' Soulsbells were all fated to be swarmed by the hordes.

=====

That's spring and the first part then. I'll see if I can somehow manage to save Salmeuk and the others from the spot they're in, but it honestly isn't looking too good.

I probably won't have time to continue tomorrow, but on Sunday I should have all day free (and hopefully finish my turn).

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2022, 04:40:52 pm »

(Oops. Double post.)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2022, 07:49:18 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

welp, it was getting kind of lonely, and all the other starters have been dying left and right.... time to join the fallen. What was my last job, that brought me into the dangerous position?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2022, 10:48:23 am »

Haven't continued yet. We'll see if I manage to squeeze in a few hours game-time in the evening.

time to join the fallen. What was my last job, that brought me into the dangerous position?

Salmeuk isn't fallen yet. There's a slim chance that I might manage to use burrows to get them far enough from the enemies that they won't be noticed. This'd however leave them cornered and I'd have to send the military to confront the foes head on. I'm not sure they'd pull it off successfully (depends on the size of the siege).

Or I could expel them? They're right next to the map border, so I'd assume they head off that direction, but since it's DF, they could just as well head straight into the hordes.

Last job: well, um, Salmeuk was picking up the corpses of the necro experiments I had to kill for the sake of FPS. And of course I forgot to forbid them before the season changed (since I expected a siege to come). So, that's on me...  :-[

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2022, 04:01:13 pm »

no no, no worries,  I was asking less to place blame and more out of morbid curiosity. I presume all my pawns have an innate and un-ignorable death drive that always results in stupidity and, well, death. The only exception in this multiverse of Salmeuks, being the Salmeuk in Smallhands. Who may have finally died in the most recent disasters.

I wonder how dangerous expellation truly is. Or if my dwarf would eventually get up to legends-worthy exploits. . feel free to take that option if you can! I am now curious.

« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2022, 04:10:54 pm »

Once all of the founders are dead, Someone should carve statues of them, And place them in an area with heavy traffic.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2022, 07:09:12 pm »

A hall of memorial for all the 7 founders.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2022, 02:36:48 pm »

Smithbridges, year 187 - Part II:
The Worst Enemy

Reg stood no chance as a barrage of arrows rained upon the bookbinder, followed by a charge of Monsters of Uja and other abominations.

'Salmeuk' had no better luck as the hordes smashed upon her. Panic and terror set in as the menace from the tower tore her into pieces.

And even as 'Salmeuk' was being pummelled the monsters, one returned zombie rushed past the scene to make short work of Rith.

As the dwarves tried to desperately scramble to safety behind the walls, a human necromancer identified as Gicast Cutcrowded was seen crossing the bridge with a Monster of Uja.

The outer gatehouse was already sealed as the militia of Smithbridges stood waiting in the courtyard.

Many dwarves were still outside, but there was no time to wait for them.

With luck, they might be able to make their way in through the other entrance.

Even as some of the enemies tried their luck with the trap hall and militia waiting for them at the end, a human bard waltzed in, dodging traps and stepping over the carnage.

And at the same time, a monster slayer promised to eradicate creatures from the deep.

Etu was allowed to stay, though it was highly doubtful the monster slayer would prove to be helpful in breaking the siege.

Those bastards! They were smashing all the windows of the bridge instead of heading through the trap hall!

As the enemies entered the fortress through the trap hall, the military lay waiting for them and dispatched them easily. Inch by inch the dwarves pushed through the monsters until finally the siege was broken and the halls lay strewn with blood and mutilated corpses.

It appeared that the success of the military was to the benefit of Tulon, who was re-elected as mayor even as the soldiers were taking care of stragglers.

The fighting dwarves were rewarded with some time off training after the remaining foes were dealt with.

A temporary shortcut was made into the border wall. It should ease the hauling of the corpses of the necromancer experiments.

It was decided that all the corpse piles from the surface should be removed and placed underground. Cleaning would take a long time, but hopefully by the end of the year it'd be done.

A flock of keas descended upon Smithbridges and stole a book. What a travesty! As if our hands wouldn't be already full of things to do. And our fellow dwarves are also in desparate need of some free time -- there are a couple of disgruntled ones already. It is only a matter of time before they start to be a problem...

As autumn was drawing closer, the spirit of one of the fallen rose to haunt the denizens of Smithbridges.

And soon autumn did arrive.

And as was expected so did the caravan from the Mountainhome. It was time to trade the mussel shell and lead crafts we had been making for the past months.

There was not much the caravan had to offer us, but nevertheless we bought some items from them. And to show that Smithbridges is actually doing well, we gave them a sizeable profit. The merchants were ecstatic of the trade.

Maybe this would bring more migrants to replace those lost? It's some time since we last got new folk -- if we don't count the countless petitioning bards and performance troupes we've had this year.

Now what is this? A very peculiar visitor arrived: a wombat woman scholar. How delighted I am!

She had come to pray at the Chapel of Dens to Imaza the Prairies of Moistness and to study at the Blockaded Palace.

Damn it Urist!

Urist Mirrorflesh had just about had enough and began throwing a tantrum at the Earthen Harvester after a few pints: he assaulted a cat and then proceeded to attack Thob, a woodcutter. Thob, however, didn't take kindly to such antisocial behaviour and punched Thob back. Seeing this, others joined in the fray, but who was on what side was a question that needed to be asked.

Woodcutter punched bone carver, bone carver punched butcher, and even a milker decided to give a few punches to the bone carver.

We might have a problem.

The fighting spread up the stairs, each passing moment more and more dwarves joining in.

People, people, people! Calm yourselves! What manner of madness has taken over you?

Soon, the infirmary was crowded with wounded dwarves.

And then things took a darker turn.

Two miners were dead due to the tantrum getting out of hand.

I felt afraid after seeing my comrades succumb to madness and fight against each other.

Will this be our end?

=======

So, uh, that's the end of part 2.

It looks like we might have some kind of loyalty cascade going now. I had no chance to contain it to the lower levels as it spread immediately up the central staircase and has soon reached each and every corner.

I really haven't had to deal with these (maybe once or twice), so any advice?

I'm tempted to let them duke it out, but would like to hear what others think before doing so.

I'll be finishing my turn tomorrow (it's now almost winter) and will try my best to clear things before that.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2022, 11:08:06 pm »

I am not opposed to letting the dwarves fight it out. As long as we can secure a few useful ones, we can recover. slowly.

Damn! I actually have yet to experience a loyalty cascade in this version. I sort of want to . .

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12