Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Smol Evolution | A New Journey | Turn 2 (3/10) (Always Open)  (Read 1457 times)

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: Smol Evolution | A New Journey | Turn 0 (1/10) (Preparing)
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 04:48:57 pm »

Don’t worry, I’m sure you can come up with something cool for the tree! Like a poison tree that kills things that step on its roots and then uses the dead bodies for nutrients or som

Hmmm, a poisonous token would be fun. And also prevent all encompassing monopolies on niches.

I think I can add it.

We could add more tokens as the game progresses, like say (not naming names here) someone wanted to make a parasite capable of control other animals bodies and absorbing their nutrients, maybe we could start out with like a parasite token and then evolve towards the body control or som?

This is less of a classic step-by-step evolution game but more of a speciation game. The emphasis is on clades, not individual species. This game explores the divergence aspect of evolution, not novel adaptation. Parasitism could exist as a niche, but there can be no specifics like you say.

Ohhhh

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: Smol Evolution | A New Journey | Turn 0 (3/10) (Preparing)
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2022, 08:34:21 am »

Okay, lets go!

Turn 0

A small pile of driftwood washes ashore after a journey through the endless sea. It doesn't matters exactly where it came from. Only thing that matters is that it has come carrying a a dusting of plant spores, and a handful of four legged cretins.

They shall be the new inhabitants of this island. They will diversify, in time. And not in a long time at all, for you see, this sea is not really endless, or even big...

We now begin. Make your actions people

Here are is the island Primiustra, and the variety of biomes which it contains. Other four will be revealed once this island is filled.

Primiustra(Temperate)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The island is mostly lifeless and barren, as you can see in the niche tables.

Those of you who chose animals (Which is only Knightwing, really) start from a ground omnivore in the temperate forest called Luka.

Plant choosers start from a weed in the same biome as well, named Chim.

Start speciating!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2022, 09:43:05 am »

(Wait, what am I supposed to be doing? 😅 Do I just make a species based on (ground omnivore)?)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2022, 10:26:49 am »

(Wait, what am I supposed to be doing? 😅 Do I just make a species based on (ground omnivore)?)

Yes. You see, the entire island is up for grabs for plants, nd when they speciate into more species, it will be up for grabs for you too. The diversity growth will be incremental.

For now, though, only a single species of plant exists, and that is a weed. So, you can now speciate into ground herbivore and carnivore niches.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2022, 12:28:14 pm »

Chimu?

Anyway.

Adaptation: Spread Growth of leaves outward, no stem, just roots and leaves around a centerpoint.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2022, 12:56:34 pm »

Oh, alright. I get it now.

Species: A small looking insect like creature, they eat anything they can find in a attempt to evolve and further their glorious insectoid species.

Adaptation: These little insects learn to like the taste of flesh and swarm any fleshy thing they could find. Which is mostly each other, but survival of the fittest, am I right? Besides, the creatures who live in conflict are more likely to pass down better genetic traits to their offspring.

(Can I get pheromones? I’m trying to make a bunch of super solider ants and I need a queen to control them as with all ants, but such a thing requires pheromones.)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2022, 01:38:58 pm »

Chimu?

I have no idea what that thing is. Chim as in "çim", One of the Turkish words for "grass".

Oh, alright. I get it now.

No, wait- ugh.

You are supposed to speciate. You have five actions each round. You use these to speciate and cover more ground.

This isn't like the previous game at all. That was a roll for success game, this one is pretty much a turf war, with dice rolls, and with predetermined adaptations.

An individal species is nothing more than a claim on a niche. I know that sounds dull at first, but with 20 other species with different niches and habitats, the clade that will be formed will be more than the sum of its parts.

What you can do is spend two points, and get both carnivore and herbivore niche. You are the only animal clade right now. Use that advantage wisely.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2022, 01:53:31 pm »

Ohhhhh

:)

(Tiny insects that swarm any other creature they see for fresh meat.) carnivore token

(A large- for this island anyway, mammal that’s eats tree bark and is covered in fur to protect its self from harsh weather.) herbivore token.

Is this good? 😭

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2022, 02:25:30 pm »

Ohhhhh

(Tiny insects that swarm any other creature they see for fresh meat.) carnivore token

(A large- for this island anyway, mammal that’s eats tree bark and is covered in fur to protect its self from harsh weather.) herbivore token.

Is this good? 😭

Ehhhh... Your cannibal insects could be tiny shrews and your herbivore could be a grazer instead. That is because there are no trees to eat bark off of and you play as a tetrapod. Also, you all stem from those two common ancestors. There are no insects, for the sake of the game not being too complex.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2022, 03:46:23 pm »

Ohhhhh

Is this good? 😭

Ehhhh... Your cannibal insects could be tiny shrews and your herbivore could be a grazer instead. That is because there are no trees to eat bark off of and you play as a tetrapod. Also, you all stem from those two common ancestors. There are no insects, for the sake of the game not being too complex.

I accept this change

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2022, 07:12:58 pm »

Ugh, fine! I will do the turn just with Knightwing!

A.B means After Beginning.

Turn 1

1000 A.B

A small amount of time passes, not a small amoujt for you and me, but for the universe. A blink of an eye, lets say.

And maybe it is because of that, the ecosystem which has formed on the first island, Primiustra, is still down on its bare essentials.

Diversification of plants seem to have stalled as to not even having begun, and animals, by the lack of plants which to take support from, have also stalled in their evolution; only managing to speciate into 3 species instead of potentially many more.

This has upsetted somebody. The ground shakes with fury, and the sea vibrates with a strange song.

Future seems as unpredictable it was a millenia prior. Time will reveal the unknowns.

We have already begun. Make your actions this time people, please.

Actions

Primiustra(Temperate)

Primiustra is still very barren, plants didn't evolve at all.

If this persists in the second turn too, I will take the plants to autopilot. They will evolve on their own.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 07:16:35 pm by Magmacube_tr »

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smol Evolution | A New Journey | Turn 1 (3/10) (Always Open)
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2022, 08:05:38 pm »

Get a Lukewarm Forest ground scavenger through a mutation in the tiny shrews that allows them to digest the various Knick knacks that are on the ground.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2022, 12:11:52 pm »

Adaptations5:
Cla-chim: Spread Growth of leaves outward, no stem, just roots and leaves around a centerpoint.
Cli-chim : Improve Photosynthesis to get as much light as possible.
Nra-chim : Sprout new weeds from the root systems edges.
Nru-chim : Extend the root system, with added connection to other weeds in the cluster.
Sha-chim : Random cross-breeding with other weeds.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 12:17:10 pm by TricMagic »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2022, 03:55:11 pm »

Let me know if I'm doing this wrong:

Speciate from Chim alone:
into Shrub, 1 try.
into Semiaquatic Weed, 2 tries
into cold Weed, 2 tries.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2022, 03:59:25 pm »

Let me know if I'm doing this wrong:

Speciate from Chim alone:
into Shrub, 1 try.
into Semiaquatic Weed, 2 tries
into cold Weed, 2 tries.
You can speciate from other players? Thought you were a tree...
Pages: 1 [2] 3