Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Houses of Ater: Part one - The End of an Age  (Read 1039 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
The Houses of Ater: Part one - The End of an Age
« on: June 11, 2022, 01:15:37 am »

The Houses of Ater: Part one
 The End of an Age

You represent the three ruling houses of the planet Ater. Ater is a frozen moon orbiting a gas giant in a binary star system, your civilization born in the myriad of caves and catacombs under the seabed. Only recently have you achieved industrialization, propelling yourself out of the dark ages, cracking the surface ice and catching your first glimpse of the stars only a few short generations ago.

The three houses are as such;

Spoiler: House Titan (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Silver (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Sky (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Actions you can take (click to show/hide)

This is a cooperative game!
This is not meant to be an arms race. It was an intentional decision to have everything here in one thread. Ater is a small world, and it is difficult to hide your actions from one another. While you are perfectly capable of seizing the assets of the other houses and ruling Ater on your own (though you would probably lose some capacity in all the collateral damage) you have much to gain by working together, and it is up to you all to shape this new age. Negotiate and trade with the other factions. Exchanging tech, resource points and and items is free, though it can only be done on the turn you have it. You may need to frontload the costs to another house for research or production, and hope they hold up their end of the bargin on the next turn.

Year: 1385, The last year of the Age of Steam

The discovery of the third ring has destabilized the balance of Ater. The council of sages have declared this the beginning of a new age, and so christened the settlements on the surface to unify as House Sky. Representatives of the surface settlements draw together in council, navigating old politics and rivalries to forage new power, no longer bound to old masters.

Inside the ice, House Silver sill mourns the tragedy of Tath. The high king and all credible successors perished in one mighty blow with the formation of the rift a generation ago. An entire city destroyed in an instant, the echoes of its death heard round the world. Now, as the interim regent has passed away their nobles gather as well to elect a new king, least a succession crisis cripple them further.

House Titan as well has found itself at an inflection point. The end of a bloody civil war has found their old tyrant deposed and his corpse fed into the Heart Forge. The chaos that left them unable to advance in the face of House Silvers near collapse is at an end. The various warlords meet to decide who will rule them now, and cast a new crown from the forge.

In addition to spending your points this turn, you should each elect a ruler of your house. They will have no additional say over how points are spent, but will have sole power over the decisions on special event that may occur.

House Titan

Ruler: Vacant

Spoiler: Members (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

House Silver

House Sky

When you vote, put it in bold and most importantly Make ONLY ONE POST with your vote. These games generate enough information for me to sift through between turns without having to keep track of that info changing again after the fact. Your word is your bond. All those that violate it will be thrown into the forage as oath breakers, as tradition requires. Additionally, if anyone gathers up and consolidates the votes into one post for me to glance at will get a pat on the head and a thank you from me.

Spoiler: Map, the world of Ater (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 05:11:42 am by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Houses of Ater: Part one - The End of an Age
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 10:29:28 am »

Seems interesting!

I’ll join House Titan.

What kind of infrastructure currently exists?
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 04:52:02 pm »

I’ll join House Sky.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 06:04:55 pm »

I guess I'll go for Silver then.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 07:03:42 pm »

A question: can houses share points with other houses? House Sky, for example, would be unable to do any more than minor research otherwise, despite House Silver having a surplus of economy points.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 07:11:49 pm »

What kind of infrastructure currently exists?
Nothing that has any effects! You can call that your baseline infrastructure if you like.

A question: can houses share points with other houses? House Sky, for example, would be unable to do any more than minor research otherwise, despite House Silver having a surplus of economy points.
Yes! Not only is it encouraged, its almost the entire point of the game. Nobody quite has enough to do anything on their own, you need each other!

Be aware that you can only give what you have on a turn though. For example, if you give a bunch of eco points to Sky in exchange for the research they perform with it, they wont be able to give you that tech until the next turn. More so, they are also perfectly capable of deciding to just not give you the tech on their next turn.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 07:27:19 pm »

BTW, in the absence of any other candidates, I vote for myself as house ruler.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 08:20:21 pm »

Yes! Not only is it encouraged, its almost the entire point of the game. Nobody quite has enough to do anything on their own, you need each other!

Be aware that you can only give what you have on a turn though. For example, if you give a bunch of eco points to Sky in exchange for the research they perform with it, they wont be able to give you that tech until the next turn. More so, they are also perfectly capable of deciding to just not give you the tech on their next turn.
I suspected that would be the case, but good to have it confirmed.

BTW, in the absence of any other candidates, I vote for myself as house ruler.
I will do the same (that is, vote for myself as ruler of House Sky) due to the lack of alternative options.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2022, 10:23:32 pm »

And I vote for myself for rulership of House Titan.

I wonder if it would be feasible to make a train connection between the different layers? Well, it might be hard between the first ring and the second, but we could probably work on getting a train line between the second ring to the third to bring up raw resources.

Not sure if investing in a rail system would be worthwhile for the seabed or if it is more cost effective to stick to making bigger transport subs.

Either way, would be willing to vote to spend the production for a prototype steam rail system. (And also welcoming anyone else who would like to see House Titan stay the industrial powerhouse of Ater)
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2022, 05:26:14 am »

I don’t think trains would be viable for connecting the layers, as the first ring is the core, the second ring is bubble cities where the outer ice shell is above the massive interior sea, and the third ring is the space above the moon’s icy shell. Basically, trains may be useful within a single ring, and maybe between the second and third, but definitely not for connecting all three.

Better steam subs, however, as well as more effective protocol for transportation and better navigation equipment, may be able to fulfill a similar purpose.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2022, 08:39:50 pm »

Looks like we have a minimum set of players, so as soon as I can get a point plan from each of y'all ill run the turn.

Remember, you can trade points and work together here!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2022, 11:58:42 pm »

Do we need to research infrastructure before we prototype it? If so, is it possible to retrofit existing non-infrastructure technology (eg, steam subs) into infrastructure without research?

If the answer to the first is yes and the second no, the most important thing to do right now is research as much as possible. I would propose we max out the use of research points with one Major and three Minor Researches. We could use the rest of the economy points to produce steam subs to avoid wasting the production points, but most of the economy points should go to research.

On the other hand, if one or the other of those things is answered the other way, I propose we balance research and production, spending five economy points on each. One major and one minor research is probably the best choice; we'd decide how to allocate production depending on the answer to the two questions.

I expect full resource and technology sharing from everyone for anything I fund. I see no obvious reason for any of us not to trust one another, but if you ever want to use escrow, I will take any points offered to perform agreed-upon actions, then share the results accordingly. I think all three of us are cooperative types, though, so I'm not too worried about it.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2022, 04:47:23 am »

That sounds fairly reasonable to me, yeah.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2022, 09:35:55 am »

What is the point of declaring oneself for one of the houses? Other than being a ruler, of course.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2022, 10:50:08 am »

Ideas for research/infrastructure.

1. A neutral trade city/port/station built in the Rift, underneath Leviathan City? Could be ruled by a council of the three houses. Could be replaced by expanded docks for Leviathan, but could be a potential good place for a conjoined greater capital.

2.Trade Submarines. With a peace comes opportunity, so larger trading subs take to the seas. I imagine could either go actual larger subs, or maybe go for maybe a tug boat pulling sealed containers through the depths.

3.(Greater)Factories. House owned and operated, they can fill entire caverns with their ponderous machines and turbines. I imagine would give a boost to production and economy. Useful to eventually help produce the things to realize our goals.

Goals? That’s a whole another conversation but I’m leaning towards achieving space flight.
Pages: [1] 2