Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Entity Editing, no clothes?  (Read 687 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Entity Editing, no clothes?
« on: June 09, 2022, 03:20:57 pm »

Had a question for all of you. Have any of you gone into the entity_default file and removed all the actual clothing options from the dwarf civ to see what happens now that you never have to deal with trying to clothe your dwarves? If so, how did that work out for you?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Entity Editing, no clothes?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 01:47:24 am »

Your dwarves get pissy if they have nothing to wear, they hate it. It can contribute to stress quite a bit for some.

You can change their personality in the raws, set bashfulness to 0 and they won't have a problem with it anymore.

It will also go poorly if a forgotten beast spews a contact syndrome all over your floors and they walk through it. Their feet could rot off!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 02:01:58 am »

So make every dwarf utterly shameless and pray that no Forgotten Beasts or Titans show up that produce some kind of goo like that. Got it.

I suppose alternatively, put every dwarf in a military squad and give them all copper high boots except those in the actual military. Point being, there will never be any discarded clothes lying around cluttering things up.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 02:07:34 am »

You'd have to fish for DFhack scripts in definity to make a race/caste who doesn't care about clothes in entirety. Last one i saw of note included adding them into a remote script list, but there may be ways to automate it with custom raw tokens.

Cluttered clothes arent so bad, they lose bad fashion so you can move them into better more quality fashion as soon as you can get a couple of clothiers, dyers and leatherworker experts which make high-chic forts more than possible to sustain.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 02:19:13 am »

Oh I have definitely done that before, having a whole dyeing industry alongside both plant cloth and wool. I just don't want to do that and see how it goes.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 03:24:53 am »

I suppose alternatively, put every dwarf in a military squad and give them all copper high boots except those in the actual military. Point being, there will never be any discarded clothes lying around cluttering things up.
Putting every dwarf in a squad and giving them armor is a common solution. If you go this way, giving them gauntlets too will protect them when they pick up items with some sort of contaminant. And a complete armor set will of course protect them from wildlife or goblins.

The drawback is that miners, lumberjacks and probably also hunters have standard equipment that conflicts with military outfits, so for them it doesn't work. And kids can't join either.

My favourite solution for cloth clutter is the dfhack script "deteriorateclothes". It makes worn down clothing on the ground deteriorate at an increased rate. You can achieve the same thing by dumping them in a refuse pile, but then you need to set the cleanowned script on repeat. This is easier.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 03:27:22 am by Quarque »