Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22

Author Topic: [TOWN WIN] A Horrible Game of Cults, or "Kill Fallacy Yesterday" (9)  (Read 16605 times)

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: [TOWN WIN] A Horrible Game of Cults, or "Kill Fallacy Yesterday" (9)
« Reply #300 on: July 03, 2022, 11:15:45 am »

Noice

I’m so smart

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 03, 2022, 11:18:19 am »

Man wouldn't that be something if one always scum player is replaced by another always scum player lmao

In the end, a role played by both always mafia Bluarian and always mafia Fallacy was in fact scum.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #302 on: July 03, 2022, 11:28:40 am »

lol

why

I initially didn't expect the Cult "team" to throw the game at all. Once webadict revealed he was Cult, I knew I was eventually doomed because I did in fact use Research on myself to alert the Cult team I was Cult, as to not have the Cult potentially wasting a vote on voting me; it being a rudimentary form of communication, since the Cultists could not communicate at all.

I don't know what the overall purpose of this game was at all, and you're correct that there was no incentive of the Town and Cult to fight each other. The entire Cult team just disappointedly threw the game to join Town, being arbitrarily focused on the SM (who was BluarianKnight and was very inactive to begin with) as a factor to mass-defect to Town. I just generally found it uninteresting to just beeline toward being Town, so I tried my best to remain Cult and try to convert others.

But since my critical error of using Research on myself in D1, not expecting the Cult to throw the game, I was suspected the whole game and people kept using their abilities on me.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 03, 2022, 12:11:16 pm »

Yay! Long live open-source earth!

I might have gone for cult victory if cult were fighting for the 'good ending'. That would be more balanced, since cult victory is harder to achieve. But since town victory is the good ending, why would I throw fighting for microtransactions?

Too bad Blu was inactive. Fal probably replaced in too late to understand wtf was going on and try to turn things around.

I initially suspected Lidku as SM due to trying to argue that town and cult aren't on the same side. But I was eventually convinced that he was uncooperative cult thanks to the D1 inspect and the repeated "oh no, I'm town honest winkyface" posts.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 03, 2022, 12:18:00 pm »

lol

why

I initially didn't expect the Cult "team" to throw the game at all. Once webadict revealed he was Cult, I knew I was eventually doomed because I did in fact use Research on myself to alert the Cult team I was Cult, as to not have the Cult potentially wasting a vote on voting me; it being a rudimentary form of communication, since the Cultists could not communicate at all.

I don't know what the overall purpose of this game was at all, and you're correct that there was no incentive of the Town and Cult to fight each other. The entire Cult team just disappointedly threw the game to join Town, being arbitrarily focused on the SM (who was BluarianKnight and was very inactive to begin with) as a factor to mass-defect to Town. I just generally found it uninteresting to just beeline toward being Town, so I tried my best to remain Cult and try to convert others.

But since my critical error of using Research on myself in D1, not expecting the Cult to throw the game, I was suspected the whole game and people kept using their abilities on me.
I mean... Why wouldn't I reveal? I'm not sure what you'd expect from me.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 03, 2022, 12:19:38 pm »

There was NO benefit from me NOT revealing!

I don't understand!

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 03, 2022, 12:32:41 pm »

to win the game as cult

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 03, 2022, 12:42:35 pm »

Honestly, you might have had a better time of that if you'd participated in the informal vote of which victory to aim for on D1, rather than trying to lie to everybody and go for that ending all by yourself. The fact that cultists can 'defect' to open-source ending means that you could equally try to convince town to defect to closed-source ending. If the majority of people agreed that cult victory was desirable, then that's what we would have gone for.

Instead, your attempt to go for cult victory secretly meant that cult victory had no public support and was doomed. You could have changed that if you'd argued for it! You wouldn't even have to admit to being cult to do so, just claim that you're a town who wants cult victory or something if you'd prefer to keep the secret.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 03, 2022, 12:56:33 pm »

Honestly, you might have had a better time of that if you'd participated in the informal vote of which victory to aim for on D1, rather than trying to lie to everybody and go for that ending all by yourself. The fact that cultists can 'defect' to open-source ending means that you could equally try to convince town to defect to closed-source ending. If the majority of people agreed that cult victory was desirable, then that's what we would have gone for.

Instead, your attempt to go for cult victory secretly meant that cult victory had no public support and was doomed. You could have changed that if you'd argued for it! You wouldn't even have to admit to being cult to do so, just claim that you're a town who wants cult victory or something if you'd prefer to keep the secret.
^Pretty much this. There's a bit of an issue here that you were sorta on your own, and not only that, but it was already far too late to be able to WIN as the Cult. The other unfortunate fact is that there were less Cult in general, making it harder to accomplish.

What incentive would staying Cult be to me? I'm not even sure what incentive COULD be made to stop me from trying to go for a Town win. That's the tough part that I see. I'd say that adding in a partner to the SM might make it better.

Alright, here's my idea that might make it harder to do:
Make an SM-ally role that is functionally the same as the Cult. Make it so if they're voted, the game is over for Town. Same for the other direction (Town SM-Ally). Maybe this means that Cult loses power by converting (Since the Cult can essentially be taken over by this rogue agent.)
Personally, a Cult SM-Ally sounds the most disastrous for the Town, but it'd be much better for the SM to be able to use any power in the game (Just one Action per Day, though). This lets the SM hide as any role, and allows the SM and the SM-Ally to functionally lockdown the Town if everyone claims at the wrong time.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 03, 2022, 01:04:49 pm »

to win the game as cult

But what if you were converted before game end? Would you have played to the town wincon at that point?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 03, 2022, 02:56:30 pm »

GG

I get Lidku's motives, it was spicier to try to go for a secret Cult win than to auto-win as town. There just wasn't much incentive or support for it to be successful unfortunately.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 03, 2022, 04:20:20 pm »

GG

I get Lidku's motives, it was spicier to try to go for a secret Cult win than to auto-win as town. There just wasn't much incentive or support for it to be successful unfortunately.

Basically this, lol.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 03, 2022, 04:21:49 pm »

to win the game as cult

But what if you were converted before game end? Would you have played to the town wincon at that point?
'

If I was deconverted earlier, than I would have fully cooperated with Town, because that would be my new team. But since I wasn't, I tried to make the Cult win for as long as I could.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 03, 2022, 04:57:45 pm »

If I was deconverted earlier, than I would have fully cooperated with Town, because that would be my new team. But since I wasn't, I tried to make the Cult win for as long as I could.
In a game like this, you'd be justified in just doing your best to win no matter which team you're on. Normally that wouldn't be the case, but the two-way conversions and third party set up a different sort of situation.

Lastly... I don't know why Fallacy didn't bother to use any powers today to stop Lidku's vote; did you really think he was town? It should've been obvious Lidku was lying anyway: I'd never name a role "stand user"! I only have a vague idea that that comes from some anime, and I don't typically do references. As you can see, everybody had nice, dignified role names like "serial molester".
I figured he was cult, but I was basically praying there was one cult left since there wasn't much I could do. My declaration power wouldn't have stopped it, my vote change power could only swing two out of nine votes at the time, and I figured I had no hope of winning later on - this was Day 3 out of 10 - if I didn't preserve my alignment swap power. So it was a gamble, one that didn't pay off.

~~~

Plus I figured I was roleblocked based on the public plan mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 05:00:04 pm by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 03, 2022, 04:59:31 pm »

Lol. I was so confused by Lidku at the start that I thought the cult could win just by having more members than town, in a bastard twist to get more conflict between cult and town.

I spent a while codedly threatening Town!Web and the cult, so they’d convert me first. I was way way way off.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22