Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do Goblin Towers Repopulate?  (Read 1871 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Do Goblin Towers Repopulate?
« on: June 01, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

Well, the title really says it all.  I have a tower in my game world, "Ivywraith" that's been virtually cleaned out by over a dozen ill-fated adventurers.  It had no demon, and the resident high priest, swordmaster, and all the guards are dead, as well as most of the populace.  I can't imagine that there are more than two or three guys left.  So now I'm wondering, will goblins eventually migrate to that tower, or will it remain empty forever?
Shoes...

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Do Goblin Towers Repopulate?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 07:42:00 pm »

Not sure about it with adventure mode, but I've made forts in goblin towers and abandoned after the dwarves wouldn't do ANYTHING, even after killing the only guards near them. When I reclaimed the fortress, I had the same problem with the dwarves not doing anything, but there weren't any goblins. Alive at least.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 07:56:00 am »

I think adventurer can kill every entity creature in the world theoretically, but I'm not sure about things which come in random encounters. Maybe they're taken from already defined "stack", maybe generated randomly (but it would make a problem with new creatures not appearing until world regen to be strange).

But as far as I remember your dwarf fortress in unaffected by adventurers, I think it's about holding 2 worlds, one for DF mode, one for adventurer in 1 actual world.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 08:01:00 am »

I came back about a year later.  Nature's reclaiming it.  Hoary marmots on the towers, merely bones where the goblins were.  T'would be almost peaceful if I weren't wondering why there were marmots in the jungle.
Shoes...

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

So, apart from your own fortress, pregnancies only happen in world gen?
Can you depopulate a world in adventure mode by playing an immortal elf and then just waiting?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 11:33:00 pm »

Part 2 of army arc is actually getting the stuff that only happens in world gen, and in your fortress to happen in the world at large while you're playing. Everything stops working in 1050 at present.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Zogundar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 06:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Willfor:
<STRONG>Part 2 of army arc is actually getting the stuff that only happens in world gen, and in your fortress to happen in the world at large while you're playing. Everything stops working in 1050 at present.</STRONG>
There's no way to "resume" world generation or something, is there?
Rogan?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

No, but I wish there was.  After losing a fortress, I'd fast forward like a thousand years and see what had moved in.
Shoes...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »

No. Apart from what yo do while playing, the world is estatic after world generation. And will be in the next release. The release after this one, however, will change this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 08:42:00 pm »

Even if some of the fortresses repopulated... the timescale the game goes on would make it cripplingly slow.

So after you wipe out a few fortresses of half the goblins... don't expect them to ever get back those numbers while your playing.

Zogundar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by thvaz:
<STRONG>No. Apart from what yo do while playing, the world is estatic after world generation. And will be in the next release. The release after this one, however, will change this.</STRONG>
And there's no way to mod in a way to resume world generation at the moment?  :(
Which release is it that's following the current one? I mean I guess I can look through the dev logs but...  ;)
Rogan?