Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What do you guys ask for in trade agreements  (Read 2456 times)

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
What do you guys ask for in trade agreements
« on: May 31, 2022, 07:06:18 am »

I tend to always be a little bit lost at what to ask for whenever I have to go over trade agreements, and was wondering what everyone else tends to do. Sometimes there's a real lack of something I want, but a lot of the time I'm just completely at a lost.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
Re: What do you guys ask for in trade agreements
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 12:28:44 pm »

Food such as cheese + meat, drinks, leather, gypsum, and lye are the most requested items I have.
 I also sometimes request raw glass if I do not have magma glass furnaces up-and-running ... glass items make excellent trade goods.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 12:30:25 pm by RLS0812 »
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 01:34:35 pm »

I tend to ask for the stuff I can't really get on that location. Fancy gemstones, rare metals, stuff like that.

Though I think next release I might change it up considerably. Lean heavy into trade, and push trade rather than self-sufficiency. At which point my answer would be "food, lots and lots of food".

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 02:12:33 pm »

Gold and steel bars, platinum if available to ask for
Jugs for honey to make mead
wood because I like my entire fort to fit into one small zone and so that usually means relying on wood burning for forging
I don't request drinks I usually just buy whatever they bring and this leads to them bringing more
Gypsum
I'd request clothing if it wasn't so vaguely general like headwear, handwear, legwear, etc

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 03:34:59 pm »

I wrote a whole detailed post on embark profiles that now I won't be able to use because you asked about trade agreements.

So my actual answer will be shorter, but interestingly, pretty similar in actual objects.

I ask for massive amounts of cheap raw materials, some of them because of rarity but some just because it's easier to buy them than wait around on a smelter and all but free.  So it's whatever I'm missing but want.  The only expensive raw materials I get are after having squandered all mine or shown up in an embark lacking something critical, like flux or iron ore.

I also usually have a list of instruments and parts I need (if people in the tavern are "simulating" an instrument they will play that instrument if you get one for them and store it in the tavern).  These are usually expensive to buy so it's often better to build them internally but if you find that whole process incredibly annoying, it's worth a shot if you have tons of spiked bronze balls and other game-breakingly profitable stuff, or even if you don't exploit to that extent, high quality weapons but made of cheap metals are really good export goods.

I also usually just buy all the food, but rarely request anything unless a dwarf has a preference.

Similarly, I request all metal ores I'm not drowning in.  I'll buy bars if I have to but I am generally not buying nonsense like platinum bars.  There's also relatively rare ore like bismuthinite that you might have a couple veins in a 3x3 embark.  Cassiterite if I'm not drowning in it.  Tetrahedrite too but I usually am drowning in that junk.  Oddball substances some dwarf prefers.  Stone of unusual colors I can use for bridges and mechanisms to color code my levers and what they move.  I always bump seeds up a notch or two, not all the way to high priority.  Somehow even with seedwatch I somehow run out of seeds.

After that it really depends on specific needs.  A lot of these kinds of orders are recurring because I want as much steel, for instance, as I can practically get.  I always want food and drink if there's some disaster.  My almost never requests are things like gems, originals of books I don't care about, extremely expensive instruments, high quality steel weapons (that I can make better anyway), same with armor
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 03:47:35 pm by muldrake »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 05:29:07 pm »

steel bars
pig iron bars
iron bars
iron anvils (to smelt, this is a cheap way to get more bars)
steel anvils (same)
Bitumous coal if I´m low on wood.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 05:41:47 pm »

Ask for one of each kind of leather and they'll bring a bin. Of each. You won't need to worry about leather for years.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 06:21:39 pm »

I wrote a whole detailed post on embark profiles that now I won't be able to use because you asked about trade agreements.

So my actual answer will be shorter, but interestingly, pretty similar in actual objects.

I ask for massive amounts of cheap raw materials, some of them because of rarity but some just because it's easier to buy them than wait around on a smelter and all but free.  So it's whatever I'm missing but want.  The only expensive raw materials I get are after having squandered all mine or shown up in an embark lacking something critical, like flux or iron ore.

I also usually have a list of instruments and parts I need (if people in the tavern are "simulating" an instrument they will play that instrument if you get one for them and store it in the tavern).  These are usually expensive to buy so it's often better to build them internally but if you find that whole process incredibly annoying, it's worth a shot if you have tons of spiked bronze balls and other game-breakingly profitable stuff, or even if you don't exploit to that extent, high quality weapons but made of cheap metals are really good export goods.

I also usually just buy all the food, but rarely request anything unless a dwarf has a preference.

Similarly, I request all metal ores I'm not drowning in.  I'll buy bars if I have to but I am generally not buying nonsense like platinum bars.  There's also relatively rare ore like bismuthinite that you might have a couple veins in a 3x3 embark.  Cassiterite if I'm not drowning in it.  Tetrahedrite too but I usually am drowning in that junk.  Oddball substances some dwarf prefers.  Stone of unusual colors I can use for bridges and mechanisms to color code my levers and what they move.  I always bump seeds up a notch or two, not all the way to high priority.  Somehow even with seedwatch I somehow run out of seeds.

After that it really depends on specific needs.  A lot of these kinds of orders are recurring because I want as much steel, for instance, as I can practically get.  I always want food and drink if there's some disaster.  My almost never requests are things like gems, originals of books I don't care about, extremely expensive instruments, high quality steel weapons (that I can make better anyway), same with armor

Damn thanks, that's much more indepth than I was expecting at all, but I'll definitely keep these in mind for later. You should def make that embark profiles post anyway, why can't you do it anymore?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 06:33:27 pm »

Damn thanks, that's much more indepth than I was expecting at all, but I'll definitely keep these in mind for later. You should def make that embark profiles post anyway, why can't you do it anymore?
Might as well I suppose.  I clipboarded it in case it came in handy again.
I tend to always be a little bit lost at what to ask for whenever I have to go over trade agreements, and was wondering what everyone else tends to do. Sometimes there's a real lack of something I want, but a lot of the time I'm just completely at a lost.
I try to have at least one of every moodable substance available from the embark civilization.  So all kinds of thread (which can be turned into cloth), at least one tanned hide, and all kinds of glass.  I also generally embark with cassiterite and tetrahedrite as well as maybe bismuthinite, to be able to make bronze/bismuth bronze immediately.  Maybe a single copper bar, to forge a pick immediately if things are deadly dangerous, or even 1 refined coal too.  That also immediately meets a moodable demand if for some reason you don't have metal later.  I don't bother with stone, gems, or anything that's at any site.  Skulls are pretty easy to get and worst case you can just kill an animal with a skull.  The absolute worst (that you generally cannot embark with) is shells so protect those if you ever find them, you can get them sometimes from fishing vermin.

Also get just one of a lot of meats and other items that come in barrels.  For each one you get a free barrel.  This is good for getting your brewing industry going.  Same with sand, cheap and gets you bags.  I also usually look at the preferences of the dwarves and if there's some easy preference to satisfy, embark with that food or drink or raw material too.

This is a really good article on starting builds:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Starting_build
And this is a good collection of starting builds (that are built into 0.47.05):  https://pastebin.com/vsQgfWNH (I particularly like the last by dev clinodev).

A major thing, don't come with expensive finished goods, weapons, etc. (unless you know combat is going to be immediate), especially ones you can just as easily make once you arrive.  That last profile I mentioned doesn't come with a pick but it does with an axe.  You can omit that if you make sure you have coal, or come with wood and turn it into coal.  The axe is mainly there to start chopping immediately, but is not strictly necessary either, and it's an expensive item you can omit and make on-site.

I think that's a bit sketchy because it's also your only immediate means of self-defense if anything weird happens immediately on embark.

The more important part of this embark is the actual starting seven, though.  You start with weaponsmith, armorer, and a number of usefully skilled dwarves, including reasonable combat ability immediately.  So you can essentially immediately start cranking out high quality bronze weapons and armor, working your already skilled dwarves up to legendaries surprisingly quickly.  Also your room furniture and other objects for dwarves to look at and rank up happy thoughts will generally be of high quality.  And the core skills are moodable, too, so whoever doesn't get trained up to Legendary can probably get it in a mood at some point.

So what you need to think about with an embark is what will you be able to do immediately when you arrive.  This is the one period in the game whether you can't really control the situation.  So you need to fix that.  And with this, you can immediately start chopping wood, make a wood furnace to make charcoal, make a smelter to make bronze bars, make a magma force to make six or more picks and as many axes as seems appropriate, while doing anything necessary to get your wagon unloaded and underground.  Then you can turtle up and start building personal palaces for the starting seven, or just assess it from there.

Incidentally that clinodev embark is considered "advanced," although if you just read the extensive comments in it you'll be halfway to being an expert too.  There are also easy embarks, which are usually just well designed enough you can embark on them without even looking.  Specialized embark profiles are usually more complicated.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 01:30:41 am »

Mainly just ores and bars. They tend to bring most other stuff on their own.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 11:46:12 am »

If there are a lot of things you need, you might want to avoid requesting ores, since they're quite heavy:
  • One bituminous coal "ore" weighs 134Γ, but the 9 coke bars you get from it weigh 9Γ each (72Γ total)
  • One hematite ore weighs 526Γ, but the 4 iron bars you get from it weigh 47Γ each (188Γ total)
Granted, this currently isn't as big of a problem because wagons can carry 15,000Γ which is way more than any real wagon should be able to carry, but once that finally gets fixed, you'll need to be very careful about what you ask for.

(the current wagon capacity dates back to version 0.28.181.40d, where boulders weighed 3 times as much and bars weighed 30 times as much but dwarves could carry a LOT more before they became burdened - coke bars were 269Γ, bituminous coal was 403Γ, iron bars were 1570Γ, and hematite ore was 1530Γ)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 11:50:06 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 12:50:10 pm »

Granted, this currently isn't as big of a problem because wagons can carry 15,000Γ which is way more than any real wagon should be able to carry, but once that finally gets fixed, you'll need to be very careful about what you ask for.
It can be a really minor issue if you have to carry your stuff any great distance.  Hauling ore is slow.  That said, if I'm actually requesting ore, it's because it is going to get used.  If they ever change the wagon rules it might be an issue, but probably more where I would only kick up the request a notch or two instead of maxing it.  Most of the stuff I request is fairly uncommon even if it isn't particularly valuable.  For instance, bismuthinite doesn't cost much, but you often don't have it on a map at all, or only a small amount.

Cassiterite is similar.  It's more common than bismuthinite but it's also much more in demand.

How are caravans generated anyway?  If they have more stuff to bring than they can carry, wouldn't they just bring more wagons?  I'm not sure how they generate these things and their behavior is still sometimes odd enough I don't know what's going on.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2022, 01:52:54 pm »

How are caravans generated anyway?  If they have more stuff to bring than they can carry, wouldn't they just bring more wagons?  I'm not sure how they generate these things and their behavior is still sometimes odd enough I don't know what's going on.
In the very distant past (i.e. back before Z-levels were added in Fortress mode), Human caravans brought varying numbers of wagons and pack animals based on their civilization's Happiness toward your fortress, starting at just 2 and eventually working its way up to 4-8.

I don't know how it works in the current version, but it's logical to assume that it's very similar, if not exactly the same - based on my analyses of various versions (particularly 0.23.130.23a, 0.28.181.40d, and the current version), there are surprisingly many behaviors that have barely changed at all over the last 15 years.

Edit: I just checked versions 0.28.181.40d and 0.47.05, and they appear to follow the exact same logic described here with regards to caravan sizes. Basically, as long as the caravans successfully reach your fortress every year, trade without problems (i.e. you don't anger them), and make it back home safely, you should reach maximum caravan size within 5 years or so.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 02:39:43 pm by Quietust »
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2022, 03:31:57 pm »

If there are a lot of things you need, you might want to avoid requesting ores, since they're quite heavy:
  • One bituminous coal "ore" weighs 134Γ, but the 9 coke bars you get from it weigh 9Γ each (72Γ total)
  • One hematite ore weighs 526Γ, but the 4 iron bars you get from it weigh 47Γ each (188Γ total)

(the current wagon capacity dates back to version 0.28.181.40d, where boulders weighed 3 times as much and bars weighed 30 times as much but dwarves could carry a LOT more before they became burdened - coke bars were 269Γ, bituminous coal was 403Γ, iron bars were 1570Γ, and hematite ore was 1530Γ)

Fortunately there is a, albeit old, bug report for it, so there's the potential that he'll circle around and fix that one eventually.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2022, 03:48:41 pm »

Fortunately there is a, albeit old, bug report for it, so there's the potential that he'll circle around and fix that one eventually.
Indeed, there is - if you look closely, you'll even see that I was the one who reported it. :)
Pages: [1] 2