Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: The Headhunter: Game Over! Cult Victory!  (Read 11964 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Headhunter: Day 1
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2022, 10:11:39 am »

Doesn't help that I don't actually remember that when I'm doing stream of thought.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2022, 01:17:56 pm »

Don’t be hard in Tric, for some reason people have a tendency to assume people on male on the internet. I actually got super embarrassed one time because I had called someone a dude but they were a girl and everybody knew that but me. Super embarrassing

This has come up in every game that I've played with Tric in the past year. Misgendering a person over and over and over and over is a form of sex-based harassment. It's easy to say "it doesn't matter" when you aren't the target.

Let's think about the setup for a moment:

The cult leader has an incentive to have strong players that aren't themselves "checked" (hammered) and "cleared."
The game will be a lot easier for them once they have an ally, and ADDITIONALLY there is a lot of WIFOM potential in recruiting a person who wasn't cleared.

Town has some incentive to "clear" strong players D1, but not as powerful an incentive as they do hunting to stop Cult. In this game, clearing is most valuable if there's a behavioral guarantee the next day that the alignment hasn't changed. Thus clearing a strong player is perhaps more dangerous to town than clearing a weaker one.

Similarly, strong players who know they're town will want to townhunt in the weaker players D1 and have one of the two other strong players "cleared" if they can't give good enough behavioral analysis to actually catch scum. This will probably result in a 3-way gridlock in terms of good D1 picks between me, Webby, and ... Roden?

What would I do if I were cult leader? Well, I'd want to guarantee that attention goes somewhere else. There's little cost to me to confirming someone unreadable, is there? So my D1 priority should be clearing someone whose alignment changes can't be read.

I'd want to hold onto two juicy picks for later... and maybe I'd pretend that I wanted to be recruited.

Since there's only one bad guy right now, I don't think there's much we can do to solve. [...] So, I think unless we can meta someone as the bad guy, the votes today should go to one of Web/Vector/myself. I don't mind being the first elim, but if it isn't me then I'd prefer Vector. I'd only vote Web if I was confident that he's the Cult Leader, as it would be extremely dangerous for town to miselim him and make him a recruit target otherwise.

Roden, today is our best chance to end the game with one vote. If cult recruits, then there's at least a day of lead time before we get another opportunity like this. You should be working extra hard to hunt today instead of being wishy-washy: letting others scumhunt for you and saying we can't solve because there's only one target.

If nothing else, you should be working harder to produce data we can use tomorrow.

Webadict, you've made a mistake, which is as follows:

Personally, checking me results in my hoping that I get Culted.

This doesn't make sense because being checked, if you are town, doesn't make you less likely to win the game as town. The most that any townie can do to you is verify your identity again. Don't you think?

Personally, Knightwing and Euchre already look Town, so I've removed them for now. TricMagic looks a little suspicious, but I'll take Euchre's word on them, if they say they're clear (which wouldn't particularly surprise me.) Roden looks a medium suspicious, and I don't really think I can explain why. Something feels off about the way they're phrasing things, that feels inceptive. Also, they've appeared to already cleared Euchre, Knight, and Tric before they've asked me to do so, but that also puts more faith in me than should be deserved, as I'm the hardest to read.

Webby, Roden left Tric to you and you're leaving Tric to Euchre... so which is it?

Dig deeper into the underlined sentence, please. You and I both know that you know how to hunt and this isn't townhunting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2022, 01:21:33 pm »

Well, I actually hadn't cleared Tric until that last post, which I'm thinking smells of town!Tric.

Need to read ninja!Vector

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2022, 01:35:46 pm »

So, my plan was to have Vector & Web figure each other out, since each is fairly good at reading the other.  If they each conclude the other is scum, the rest of us simply need to pick between them.

But, this requires the rest of us to keep working.  We need to figure out which of them is scum, if they each read the other as scum.  And they might decide the other is town, so we need to keep analyzing everyone else as well.

I think regardless that solving within Jack/Tric/Knightwing and then moving onto Web/Vector/myself as the secondary PoE is still a viable strategy at least.

I already town read Knightwing, and with time I can figure out Jack. I think Web has the best chance of figuring out Tric, so I'll leave that to him for now.

Hm, why do you town read Knightwing? He hasn't posted much.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2022, 01:38:01 pm »

@Tric: Please refer to Vector as they/them for the remainder of the game.  Otherwise we might just all hammer you for the remainder of the game. Thanks!
(Some groveling would be nice, but I guess is not strictly necessary)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2022, 01:44:31 pm »

Webby, Roden left Tric to you and you're leaving Tric to Euchre... so which is it?

Dig deeper into the underlined sentence, please. You and I both know that you know how to hunt and this isn't townhunting.
Vector... When you're scum, you should buddy me instead. I dunno why you gotta make it awkward and vote for me, though. Or do you really think I'm scum?

See, this particular sentence is a bit silly. Roden left Tric to me, but Roden has no reason to think I'm Town, so that's suspicious to me, but not outright scummy. In turn, I thought Tric was a tiny bit suspicious, but I know Euchre will identify any pieces I'm missing (because I think Euchre is Town, and he's good at that sorta thing.)

I don't think that chain of logic is particularly flawed. Am I missing something?

As for Townhunting, I'd say that Euchre and Knight look exceedingly like their Town selves. Tric is probably Town, especially given Euchre's opinion. Roden I was on the fence about, but then you started harshing my mellow, when really you should be marshing that mallow! Now I gotta throw away my chance to be potentiallt culted by you... *sigh*

Sadly, I must continue.

When you say you save the juicy picks for later... Well, I did. Euchre and Knightwing was cleared by their first post, surprisingly. I thought Tric seemed a bit sketchy, but that was always reserved for Euchre's judgment at that point, because I'm liable to distract the Town following that lead. So, Roden and you are the PoE. Roden did seem like his Town self, but I was, perhaps, a bit too skeptical that he was scum, which is probably just good ol' fashioned paranoia.

Ninja@Euchre: I also Townread Knightwing. I am also willing to push for a Vector vote, sadly. If only Vector would buddy me!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2022, 01:46:40 pm »

But I will Unvote Roden for now. I will vote Vector if and when I'm ready.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2022, 03:44:36 pm »

Interesting bit on that whole "Wanting to be cult with so-and-so":
Quote from: Opening Post
Cult Ally - A cult aligned player with no abilities. Cult Allies do not know the identity of the Cult Leader.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2022, 03:49:36 pm »

My reaction, upon realizing that:
"That would SUCK!"

You are stuck having to pursue the same leads as Day 1, because you don't know whom you should be protecting, and hoping to God that your recruiter is smarter than you.  You wait all day, hoping the flip is NOT your recruiter, but powerless to prevent it.  Oh, maybe you could draw the lynch, but if town whiffs again, then you just win.
So, Cult-ally is the worst suckiest role imaginable.  Worse than Town Miller!

Who thought that role would in any way be fun?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2022, 04:02:18 pm »

I think Roden is town. He is doing his mechanically solvey thing, and upon rereading my Town role PM, I can see how a town player would be confused the way that Roden was confused.

*EJ checks his votes, unsure whom he voted*
Ah, I'm voting Vector. 
Wow, that is where I want to vote now! How convenient!

Since I trust Web's ability to read Knightwing (Web learned over the past couple of games how to do this), Web's read of Knightwing clears Knightwing.
As either Web is town whom I trust to read Knightwing correctly, or Web is scum and thus Knightwing is town.  Thus, Knightwing is town.

So...could be Web, but probably Vector.  This is Vector's bribe to discuss further:
Everything's null for me until I catch scum, ain't that right?
This now applies to Vector & Web.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2022, 04:07:01 pm »

Wait, are you saying webs town or scum?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2022, 04:24:41 pm »

Classic Psychiatrist Answer: "What do you think?"
Do you think webs is town or scum?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2022, 04:34:09 pm »

Interesting bit on that whole "Wanting to be cult with so-and-so":
Quote from: Opening Post
Cult Ally - A cult aligned player with no abilities. Cult Allies do not know the identity of the Cult Leader.
I am pretty sure that Cult Ally is created by the Cult Leader. I am 99% sure that there are 5 Townies and 1 Cult Leader.

You know it!

But, this is very likely the out-the-door attack style of a scum Vector. I tend to be a very convenient target for Vector as scum, and they typicallt go a lot harder on rheir target.

Unfortunately, if I am right, then I have to vote Vector or I likely get voted, which inevitably votes (and kills) Vector Tomorrow, but also gets me converted. If I'm wrong, Vector is innocent and the Cult Leader probably wins, which is worst case scenario for me because it's likely I don't get converted!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2022, 04:41:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2022, 05:04:39 pm »

Vector... When you're scum, you should buddy me instead. I dunno why you gotta make it awkward and vote for me, though. Or do you really think I'm scum?

See, this particular sentence is a bit silly. Roden left Tric to me, but Roden has no reason to think I'm Town, so that's suspicious to me, but not outright scummy. In turn, I thought Tric was a tiny bit suspicious, but I know Euchre will identify any pieces I'm missing (because I think Euchre is Town, and he's good at that sorta thing.)

I don't think that chain of logic is particularly flawed. Am I missing something?

As for Townhunting, I'd say that Euchre and Knight look exceedingly like their Town selves. Tric is probably Town, especially given Euchre's opinion. Roden I was on the fence about, but then you started harshing my mellow, when really you should be marshing that mallow! Now I gotta throw away my chance to be potentiallt culted by you... *sigh*

Sadly, I must continue.

When you say you save the juicy picks for later... Well, I did. Euchre and Knightwing was cleared by their first post, surprisingly. I thought Tric seemed a bit sketchy, but that was always reserved for Euchre's judgment at that point, because I'm liable to distract the Town following that lead. So, Roden and you are the PoE. Roden did seem like his Town self, but I was, perhaps, a bit too skeptical that he was scum, which is probably just good ol' fashioned paranoia.

Ninja@Euchre: I also Townread Knightwing. I am also willing to push for a Vector vote, sadly. If only Vector would buddy me!

... Now I'm just. Don't have words. hua... Should expect that at this point. Don't trust you, but do trust that Jack is town according to you. If you're town, then Jack is town. If you're scum, Jack is town. If Roden is confusing me, Jack is town. So I think we can cross him off the list, since I think this is Town Jack too.

Gonna go look at Knightwing64, though a question. Who do you think is certainly town? And who's suspicious?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12