Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trash disposal options  (Read 1033 times)

Dibbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trash disposal options
« on: May 25, 2022, 04:42:54 am »

A running fortress generates a lot of trash. I think most/all items should have a sink that removes them, perhaps except very good trade goods. I use the atom smasher, but it is contra intuitive and hacky ;) Some ideas:

Incinerator. Consumes fuel, burns trash, produces ash. Options for what the operator should collect (auto? trading-like interface? Limit distance?). Wooden items can be used as fuel.

Butchering products eaten by carnivores. I get that more detailed feeding systems are in the pipeline in a longer perspective. How about an inbetween fix where dogs/bears/etc eat non-meat butchering products? Or you can set up someone to feed it to the dogs, perhaps even for a morale boost for their owner. If you want to be gruesome.. I wonder what goblin tastes like.

Some ideas for clothes, can be balanced by making raw cloth rarer in caravans, and perhaps worn clothning less valuable.

Rag rugs! "Fillerye" is traditional in Scandinavia, weaving spent cloth into thick rugs. Add "Weave rag rug" job at the loom, that produces rugs. Perhaps let the rugs have a text with "contains X masterwork clothes, the best is : text", for some history. Dwarves will pick up the rugs like clothes, and put them on their beds/rooms/cabinets whatever is easiest, for a morale boost.

Mend clothes: Add "mend cloths" option at the clothier. Worn clothes will either break into nothing, or get the text "this item has been mended", and be as new.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Trash disposal options
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 11:30:57 am »

Incinerator technically already exists, by making a chute of magma, a track stop to dump into it, and a minecart route drawing from a stockpile that only gathers whatever you want incinerated.

I fancy the idea of disposing of (sapient) bodies and skeletons by tossing them into a pit of bone-carnivores (e.g. gremlins).

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 09:24:51 pm »

As I believe has already been suggested elsewhere, worn clothing should be able to be processed into material that can be turned into paper (possibly with a separate bleaching step).

Actually, I’d like to see the current paper reactions replaced with a dedicated workshop with 3 reactions.  The first would deconstruct cloth items into the materials used to make them.  The second would convert cloth and/or thread into slurry, and the third would make paper sheets.  None of this would involve a quern, millstone, or screw press.

As for bleaching, one possibility would be a bleachfield.  This would involve setting up an activity zone where cloth items would be laid out for a period of time (at least an entire season) in order to whiten them.  The problems with this are needing access to the surface and the need for security from attacks and theft.  For this reason, I’m wondering if it might be worth it to introduce something like Javel water (despite being invented well after the cutoff) for use in a dedicated bleaching workshop…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 11:43:17 am »

I like the "mend clothing" and "rag rugs" ideas but rag-rugs probably should lose their clothing data and revert to the cloth/dye data. Their beauty is in their mix of colors and the pattern of the rough weave.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Varjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 10:50:43 am »

Nice ideas.

Worn clothes on floor could in time start to contain fungus (or some plant) and later be transformed to i.e. fungus. This can be also a source for diseases.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 02:58:05 am »

An incinerator/crematorium are really needed. The game needs a way to get rid of trash and corpses beyond atom smashers and magma dumping.

Dibbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 11:33:09 am »

Incinerator technically already exists, by making a chute of magma, a track stop to dump into it, and a minecart route drawing from a stockpile that only gathers whatever you want incinerated.

I fancy the idea of disposing of (sapient) bodies and skeletons by tossing them into a pit of bone-carnivores (e.g. gremlins).

Disagree, I think we should have them without magma tricks. The magma way would still save on fuel tho, and probably time as well.

I imagine the dude from snatch, ans his pigs 8)

Dibbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 11:35:27 am »

As I believe has already been suggested elsewhere, worn clothing should be able to be processed into material that can be turned into paper (possibly with a separate bleaching step).

Actually, I’d like to see the current paper reactions replaced with a dedicated workshop with 3 reactions.  The first would deconstruct cloth items into the materials used to make them.  The second would convert cloth and/or thread into slurry, and the third would make paper sheets.  None of this would involve a quern, millstone, or screw press.

As for bleaching, one possibility would be a bleachfield.  This would involve setting up an activity zone where cloth items would be laid out for a period of time (at least an entire season) in order to whiten them.  The problems with this are needing access to the surface and the need for security from attacks and theft.  For this reason, I’m wondering if it might be worth it to introduce something like Javel water (despite being invented well after the cutoff) for use in a dedicated bleaching workshop…

Interesting !

I do like the thematics in needing specific equipment, tho, thay is nontrivial to set up. Perhaps the dedicated workshop would need them ?

Dibbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 11:36:50 am »

I like the "mend clothing" and "rag rugs" ideas but rag-rugs probably should lose their clothing data and revert to the cloth/dye data. Their beauty is in their mix of colors and the pattern of the rough weave.

Oooh, good idea. You basically under the work of the clothier after all.. Perhaps a bonus if you have different colors ? Incentive for different sources of dye !

Dibbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2022, 11:38:12 am »

Nice ideas.

Worn clothes on floor could in time start to contain fungus (or some plant) and later be transformed to i.e. fungus. This can be also a source for diseases.

Thank you!

I think we would need to fix how Urist hoards old clothes first (without df hack)