Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37

Author Topic: Only WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!(IC)  (Read 22190 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Only WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!(IC)
« Reply #285 on: June 22, 2022, 09:11:43 pm »

Well, that's that. Go find Gilliam and ask him what he thinks we should use the acid for and otherwise laze about in preparation for having to go murder more filthy xenos.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 22, 2022, 10:17:40 pm »

Well, that's that. Go find Gilliam and ask him what he thinks we should use the acid for and otherwise laze about in preparation for having to go murder more filthy xenos.

You find yourself going to Gill's Gambling Gallery. On your way you find more and more eyes on you - it is hard to tell if random people are judging your decision or if Gill had placed forward scouts to warn of any approaching law enforcement. The building itself turns out to be an underground bunker with several PDF standing guard while trying their best to look like they're just randomly hanging out here. One gives you the nod and gives a coded knock on the door.

You enter down a set of concrete steps to a reasonably-sized bunker. You expect a few families could likely stay here. As for the moment it is a crowded, smokey room. On the right side, the assembled gamblers are in a circle around a dealer with cup containing two dice. She pulls the cup open revealing two sixes. Half the men cheer while the other despair. The dealer takes a cut and various guns, ammunition, explosives and coins move around the table to their new owners. On the left is a smaller gathering of card players. Most are sitting on crates or tins. Gill is at this table, sitting in a fluffy looking chair. He's wearing a Commissar hat. Something that will certainly get him shot if any actual Commissar comes in. It might be a bad idea to go to this man for advice. Local women with short dresses serve drinks and snacks to the gamblers. The "Drinks" are just water from canteens and the "snacks" are canned rations, but it does give a fancy feel to the whole thing.

It isn't immediately clear how he set this whole thing up so quickly. He must have a genuine talent for organizing people. Still it seems he has a reckless, or perhaps just stupid, streak. One should probably keep that in mind when minding what he says.

It appears he is also the source of most of the room's smoke, judging by the Lo-stick in his mouth and the pile in a nearby ash tray. He tips his hat in acknowledgement as you approach.

"Ah miss Nurse, here for a game of Van Haustborg Holdem? Best game in the Imperium if I say so myself. Shame the locals prefer Grace's Bones."

You ask about the acid. He takes a deep drag before answer.

"Don't think we'll have any local buyers. I do remember looking at acid-filled shotgun slugs back in my glory days. I don't think we can throw the full thing at anyone, but if we put it in a smaller bottle we can probably throw that bottle. Maybe get a bolt shell out of it, if you know a good craftsman. Or something to put in your Injector. I imagine melting an Ork from the inside out would be a quick way to remove it."

CRAFTING
Crafting rules are hidden in the Skills section. Crafting is an extended test that takes time depending on the complexity of what you want to make, and uses a skill based on what you are trying to make. You can use a Logistics skills to get material for crafting at a lower Rarity than what you are trying to craft, but you need a plan to build complex equipment like firearms.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 22, 2022, 10:28:13 pm »

"Sure, I can play a game, if just to pay you back for your advice. Do you think my injector would really be able to handle that acid? I mean, it's just designed for medicine."

I'll play Van Houstborg Holdem, betting my frag and smoke grenades. I'd like to keep the Krak and the Firebomb, so that's my limit.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 22, 2022, 11:10:10 pm »

"Sure, I can play a game, if just to pay you back for your advice. Do you think my injector would really be able to handle that acid? I mean, it's just designed for medicine."

I'll play Van Houstborg Holdem, betting my frag and smoke grenades. I'd like to keep the Krak and the Firebomb, so that's my limit.

Gill motions for one of the players to shuffle the cards and deal you in.

"Maybe. I'm not familiar with the acid nor the poor excuse of a injector the Imperial Guard uses. I usually have people for the 'design' part. I'm more of the idea guy."

He blows a smoke ring.

"If you are worried you can water it down, might make it a bit weaker for the Ork too though. You said it came in a drum, right? If you cut up part of the drum you don't need you can use that to hold the acid. If you make an injector out of that it should be able to hold it. Can't be that hard to make the things if those Cog-heads can do it."

He then begins to explain the rules of the game. According to him it is a classic game passed down by a great Rogue Trader house. It becomes clear that there are two reasons this game is less popular. The first is the rules are more complex than the dice game, it is significantly more skill-based than the luck-based dice. A related second is Gill himself, with an advanced knowledge of a game he may-or-may not have invented wholesale and a surprisingly competent head for cards he has a clear edge on any newcomers. The game itself plays similar to Round Table Poker from your home-world, with some seemingly arbitrary changes and a different deck of cards entirely. Gill states that he has house ruled away the usual stripping requirement "for now" with a sigh.

You find a skill-based game suits you well. While you don't have the experience of a professional gambler, you are intelligent enough to pick up the odds and make a rational decision based on your chance of winning. After several hands you find yourself with some small victories and some small defeats. In the end you lost your frag and smoke grenade, but picked up a good-quality local revolver with some bullets to go with it. Most locals seem more eager to get off-world technology. You see them eying it hungrily whenever it reaches the table. If you had an objective to gamble for it might be easier to get the item.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 22, 2022, 11:51:00 pm »

Eh I s’pose I can do things.

Mill about town, trying to gauge how the war effort is going. See if I can find out anything regarding the local situation the higher-ups haven’t told us about.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 23, 2022, 07:19:15 am »

Gunnar calmly watches the gambling, keeping an eye on his dear friend to make sure he doesn't do anything that might set off an angry mob. Then he decides to leverage his greater experience with van Haustborg Holdem to try to win some more medium-size bullets, anteing his smoke grenade to start with.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 23, 2022, 07:44:00 am »

Wager the revolver, frag and krak, and maybe a power pack, trying for a shotgun. Combat or high quality double-barrel, most likely.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 23, 2022, 10:31:38 am »

Eh I s’pose I can do things.

Mill about town, trying to gauge how the war effort is going. See if I can find out anything regarding the local situation the higher-ups haven’t told us about.

You walk around town, with Alrin following you step by step. At first it is annoying but it ultimately proves handy for your reconnaissance efforts. The more straight-laced citizens find it easier to talk to him, while the more crooked-laced citizens find it easier to talk to you. Ultimately it isn't hard to gather local news and rumors.

It seems you have been given an accurate picture of the war effort, but an underestimation of the scale. Every able bodied human on the planet is either a soldier or a cog in the war machine. This planet housed multiple billion humans, and lost multiple million souls when it lost a third of its ground. Including most of the skilled professional soldiers who signed up before the war, though some managed to survive and become something of an elite force with their experience. The current PDF is composed of millions and millions of conscripts - anyone who can pick up a gun and isn't needed to make more guns is in active service. The battlefront expands multiple continents rather than a handful of cities and the hardest fighting is across the world. Initially the toughest fighting was on this battlefront lead by the Ork leader directly, but the local forces where crushed to the point the hardest fighting was on the other side of the world and an odd quirk of Ork psychology means they sought out the harder fight elsewhere rather than press their advantage.

Overall it is hard to believe your regiment would be able to turn the tide of battle through conventional means. Alrin seems optimistic that your Commander's decapitation strike will be able to change things anyway, but if a significant portion of the Ork forces are redirected here you are likely to be overwhelmed by the sheer mass of Orks. The target Rok initially had enough Orks to overwhelm you without needing any additional support. If enough stuck around you arn't looking at an easy fight. The fact that the Imperium only sent a single regiment likely means they view this planet as low-priority, you would need backup to have any real chance at defeating this enemy conventionally.

Gunnar calmly watches the gambling, keeping an eye on his dear friend to make sure he doesn't do anything that might set off an angry mob. Then he decides to leverage his greater experience with van Haustborg Holdem to try to win some more medium-size bullets, anteing his smoke grenade to start with.

What is the opposite of beginners luck? Whatever it is you seem to have that. You quickly lose your smoke grenade to one of the PDF men despite your skill at cards and greater experience with the game. It is probably the no-nudity rule throwing you off. By all accounts you should at least be able to reliably beat the nurse.

Wager the revolver, frag and krak, and maybe a power pack, trying for a shotgun. Combat or high quality double-barrel, most likely.

The standard-issue shotgun for these parts seems to be pump action "trench guns", though a quirk in the design means they can be slam-fired the planet doesn't seem to produce anything approaching a combat shotgun. Still some of the local PDF brought their old hunting double barrels to war back before the logistic machine had kicked into gear and as civilian weapons they're more or less willing to part with them. After a loosing streak where you manage to lose hold of the revolver and frag grenade, you manage to win a good-quality double barreled shotgun with 6 loose shotgun shells.

Double Barreled Shotgun: Basic 30M s/2/- 1d10+4I 0 pen 2 clip full reload special scatter average availability.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 23, 2022, 11:47:56 am »

((I'm a dum, said to wager the frag when I had already lost it. let's say I lost the firebomb instead.))

No free booze, so I'm not inclined to do a strip-round just for fun.
Instead simply leave and give the double barrel to Dev, i mean whatsisname.

And ready to move on.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 23, 2022, 12:14:35 pm »

"Oh, thanks."

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 23, 2022, 01:25:36 pm »

"Gill. You have probably picked up a good idea of the list of things I absolutely detest over the years, so you know that two of those things include unnecessary clothing, and losing. Your game now seems to involve both, so I'm counting on you to win me some extra bullets to make up for it. Otherwise I'm going to have to find something else to gamble with, like your smokes, or a bunch of handmade 'win a date with Gilliam' coupons which I'll only give out to the ugliest weirdos. Your call."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 23, 2022, 08:30:59 pm »

((I'm a dum, said to wager the frag when I had already lost it. let's say I lost the firebomb instead.))

No free booze, so I'm not inclined to do a strip-round just for fun.
Instead simply leave and give the double barrel to Dev, i mean whatsisname.

And ready to move on.

((You have frag and krak grenades as part of your standard kit, so you do in fact have frag grenades to gamble away))

"Gill. You have probably picked up a good idea of the list of things I absolutely detest over the years, so you know that two of those things include unnecessary clothing, and losing. Your game now seems to involve both, so I'm counting on you to win me some extra bullets to make up for it. Otherwise I'm going to have to find something else to gamble with, like your smokes, or a bunch of handmade 'win a date with Gilliam' coupons which I'll only give out to the ugliest weirdos. Your call."

"Is that your way of asking me out? I think I have the perfect solution."

He walks closer and rummages through your stuff.

"Look here your primitives! A magic tablet! It allows you to view exotic and/or erotic content both in text and video! (Almost) guaranteed to have prime examples of fan-fiction said to be traded at the highest echelons of Imperial society! We'll start the bidding at 10 bullets! Do I hear 10 bullets?"

He takes your data slate and waves it through the air.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 24, 2022, 07:12:55 am »

"Is that your way of asking me out? I think I have the perfect solution."

He walks closer and rummages through your stuff.

"Look here your primitives! A magic tablet! It allows you to view exotic and/or erotic content both in text and video! (Almost) guaranteed to have prime examples of fan-fiction said to be traded at the highest echelons of Imperial society! We'll start the bidding at 10 bullets! Do I hear 10 bullets?"

He takes your data slate and waves it through the air.
"No, if that's what I wanted I would just keep the coupons. Anyway, I thought you had better business sense than that."
Gunnar grabs the data slate back and follows it up with "that's right, 10 bullets or best offer for one hour with the magic tablet and the content of your choosing!"

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 24, 2022, 09:40:50 am »

"No, if that's what I wanted I would just keep the coupons. Anyway, I thought you had better business sense than that."
Gunnar grabs the data slate back and follows it up with "that's right, 10 bullets or best offer for one hour with the magic tablet and the content of your choosing!"

The assorted gamblers mumble among themselves for a moment before responding. One of the men then states "If its just the hour we can all share it right? Don't need to bother bidding against each other if we do that. Won't get ripped off it is no good neither. 1 bullet for the hour." Several others seem to nod in agreement.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 24, 2022, 10:41:19 am »

"The point was to decide who gets to choose what to watch though. If you all don't mind watching the same thing, sure, one bullet each for admission is fine. Just pick who gets to be in charge, and don't complain if whoever it is likes something weird unless you want to outbid him!"
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37