Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Subterranean water encased in above-ground ice  (Read 907 times)

spinnylights

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Leather Dress
    • View Profile
Subterranean water encased in above-ground ice
« on: May 21, 2022, 08:41:21 am »

I'm sure I'm not the first person to observe this, but I wasn't finding anything quite about it poking around, so I thought it might be fun to note. If it's freezing cold outside, and you put a screw pump in an interior room pointing out through a hole in the wall and there's an overhang above the hole, the water will come out as liquid below the overhang and then freeze into ice past that, and the ice will encase the water in the "nominally subterranean" environment below the overhang where it's still liquid:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Even if you channel out a small ditch under the pump outlet, the ice covers over it like walls, so it "catches" the subterranean status and the water in it stays liquid too:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just thought this was fun. Maybe if you made a downward slope with a big overhang over it, the game would treat all of it as below ground, and you could encase things in ice by washing them down the slope with water from the top and letting the water freeze to ice when it gets past the overhang. Does anyone already like to do that? :P
Our little Kinsmen — after Rain / In plenty may be seen, / A Cross and Grumbly multitude / The soiled Ground upon // A needless life, it seemed to me / Until a little Roc / As to a Tavern saucily / Advanced and breakfasted. // As I of He, so Armok, me / I pondered, may have judged, / And left the little Mountain-folk / With Wariness enlarged. —–Emily the Poetic Thorns

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Subterranean water encased in above-ground ice
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 09:03:22 am »

Oh i see, freezing by exposure.

Thats a neat trick for flash frying goblins  :D. The water irregardless of location would be unaffected when inside a structure (same for water that is covered up outside in winter with a canopy, use k to observe the outside/inside/light/dark status) so when bringing it up and forcing it outside through the screw pump it builds up until there's enough to freeze without doing so fast enough to block the pump for the first few tiles.

Its a partially known tactic, but usually people fill the room with water first as drowning chamber then reveal the roof and let the cold conditions freeze the whole thing in one-go.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 09:09:02 am by FantasticDorf »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 11:56:06 am »

I just use one of those little plastic trays to make my goblin-flavored ice cubes, but to each their own

spinnylights

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Leather Dress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 01:05:09 pm »

I just use one of those little plastic trays to make my goblin-flavored ice cubes, but to each their own

I guess the approach I was speculating about is a bit more "hotel ice machine"  :P
Our little Kinsmen — after Rain / In plenty may be seen, / A Cross and Grumbly multitude / The soiled Ground upon // A needless life, it seemed to me / Until a little Roc / As to a Tavern saucily / Advanced and breakfasted. // As I of He, so Armok, me / I pondered, may have judged, / And left the little Mountain-folk / With Wariness enlarged. —–Emily the Poetic Thorns