Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swimming in the deep  (Read 918 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Swimming in the deep
« on: March 15, 2008, 12:09:00 am »

When the pond is 1 z-level deep, > and < do nothing.  Obviously.

When the lake is 2 z-levels deep, > and < go up and down.  Obviously.

When the lake is 3 or more z-levels deep, > doesn't seem to do anything.  Why not?  Also, when I'm down 2 z-levels below the surface (i.e. there are three z-levels with 7/7 water, and I'm on the deepest), < doesn't do anything and instead I need to find a ramp.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Swimming in the deep
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:11:00 am »

if you are near the surface and hit alt-arrow key towards the land, you will climb up... if that is what you are asking, but i'm not 100% sure, sorry, did that help?
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 12:13:00 am »

... not really?

If I'm in the middle of the lake, and for shits and giggles I want to dive down to the bottom, I can't figure out how to do that.

Of course, my swimmer just had a scorpion spit his head out, so I'll have to try again.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 12:21:00 am »

I'm not sure why you'd only be able to go down one level in 2-level, but not able to go down a level in 3-level or deeper water.

However, if you are playing a race with the [AMPHIBIOUS] and [UNDERSWIM] tags, you can take a quick jaunt out into the ocean and once you're there, you can swim up and down as many levels as you like.

It's dreadfully boring, however.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 12:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I'm not sure why you'd only be able to go down one level in 2-level, but not able to go down a level in 3-level or deeper water.</STRONG>

Would it be easy for you to try this out with a human or whatever, and check whether I'm just on crack or something?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 12:42:00 am »

It's dreadfully boring, however.

I was just going to an otherwise-inaccessible city of my civilization, for fun.  Went and killed the local ettin, died on the way home.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 12:48:00 am »

sorry mate i thought you were trying to get OUT of the water, not further into it ;P

i've never actually gone that deep before, the only time i've ever had to swim was on an archeology mission trying to get engravings from a mysteriously flooded room in a fortress i abandoned ... pretty funny opening a door and being blown back by a wall of water, but ... the room only had 1 z level into it so I never got to try and swim deeper than that.  i hope it isn't hardcoded, but, i guess i could see why humans would have a problem with going too deep due to water pressure but that can be overcome with training, so, perhaps it is skill related?

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!