Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: BECOME THE JUGGERNAUT (AR/SG) - Decision Phase - "Mustard-Colored Dust"  (Read 7072 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Box of Ideas
Nerd Shit (1): MoP
Wreck-It Bob (2): Doomblade, King Zultan
Salvage Plan Lance of Light Longinus (0):
Better Nerd Shit (2): NUKE9.13, Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If the goal is to make something functional I think it’d behoove us to utilize the computer we know has working parts

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

If the goal is to make something functional I think it’d behoove us to utilize the computer we know has working parts

You want to turn the one functional thing into something that doesn't function?

We should also note that powder has stated that wreck it bob needs more info to be valid

Wreck-It Rob
-Use the Wood Shaping tool to make hand and foot imprints into the wall turning it into a ladder
-Climb up the ladder. Use Wood Shapping Tool to open ceiling to roof, first making a small hole to check if anything will fall and kill us.
-Continue until we have no more ceiling
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reason why Nerd Shit is better than Better Nerd Shit:

We generally already know the only working computer interacts with the roof turret, and remember this is a gun on a structure meant to combat incoming craft that is presumably fucked for that exact reason by those exact dudes. If we use the computer to do anything with the turret it's gonna bring alien mans down on us so fast. While that may be Powder's intent eventually, I'd prefer we get some time to make ourselves neat dude shit first.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

We generally already know the only working computer interacts with the roof turret, and remember this is a gun on a structure meant to combat incoming craft that is presumably fucked for that exact reason by those exact dudes. If we use the computer to do anything with the turret it's gonna bring alien mans down on us so fast. While that may be Powder's intent eventually, I'd prefer we get some time to make ourselves neat dude shit first.

I'm still not sure why you think we can make a dude out of a normal computer and have it be strong enough to take on a robot not made out of random scraps.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Counterpoint: If we're eventually going to be making some kind of mech then a surface-to-space laser system would make an AWESOME weapon so maybe we shouldn't just recycle what might be the only operational computer in this room which might have useful technical data on the weapon.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Salvage Plan Lance of Light Longinus (1): Maximum Spin
Of all the ideas, this one is coolest.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But madman, we're not trying to make a mech, I think stirk being stirk is getting to your brain

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree that activating the roof turret should be a last-resort option, for exactly the reason outlined.
However, there may be other uses for the computer. For example, if we do decide to go up there and disassemble the TOWER, then the diagnostics provided by the computer might be useful. There may also be other information or functions on the computer that a cursory examination did not find, which might prove useful later. The point is, while it might turn out to be not that valuable, if given the choice, I'd rather preserve it just in case.

It is also true that the intact computer will likely be an easier source of electronics (which you didn't mention, but goes unsaid).
However, Powder indicated your plan was rather simple, so I figure we could manage a more thorough search of the destroyed computers- presumably there are still a decent number of intact components in there, which would have the same function as those from the intact computer. In the event that my less easy salvage plan doesn't yield all we need, we still have time for another Salvage action, which could focus on easier sources of salvage to guarantee results. That is, we can afford to take a chance now.

More generally, that last point is why I prefer my plan- riskier option first, because it either pays off, or we have time for an easier option later.

But madman, we're not trying to make a mech, I think stirk being stirk is getting to your brain
I think Madman was saying we might later decide to do so. I doubt we will- it doesn't seem like this facility has all we'd need to make even a fairly modest mech (unless there are a bunch of... wood-muscles or motors or whatever behind the barricaded door). But I'm assuming we will be moving on from this location and not returning- if that is not the case, and we can return later, then we might indeed want the TOWER and tech capable of operating it as armament for a mech (or other robust vehicle).
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the intact computer, I asked if we’d be able to look into what’s on the computer further with this phase’s proposals. His response was we already know what’s on it, but we could try to look further into it to get more details or try to fuck with the turret. Assumptions aren’t always accurate of course, but I’m figuring the thing will be able to give us a more specific diagnostic check on the status of the turret. That would be useful if we want to work on the turret of course, but that’s not a course of action I think I can be sold on. If the turret could turn out to be useful I think it’d be down the line far enough that we could probably just jury rig a control console for it anyways.

And as for the difficulty of plans, I’m partial to making sure we have usable components with an easier action for us to use on a more complex design.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

On the intact computer, I asked if we’d be able to look into what’s on the computer further with this phase’s proposals. His response was we already know what’s on it, but we could try to look further into it to get more details or try to fuck with the turret. Assumptions aren’t always accurate of course, but I’m figuring the thing will be able to give us a more specific diagnostic check on the status of the turret. That would be useful if we want to work on the turret of course, but that’s not a course of action I think I can be sold on. If the turret could turn out to be useful I think it’d be down the line far enough that we could probably just jury rig a control console for it anyways.

And as for the difficulty of plans, I’m partial to making sure we have usable components with an easier action for us to use on a more complex design.

We could look for a tool that gives us diagnostics or tells us if something is broken.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. That does reduce the potential value, if there really isn't much more on there to be found.

It's not a binary choice. Doing a harder action now doesn't preclude us from doing the easier one later. We have 3-5TU, so we have at least enough time to do a second Salvage before doing a Design. The alternative is... I guess doing two Design actions, but then we risk being interrupted during the second one.
...although, now that I look at the update where we got the choice of actions again, I see that there are 5 unrevealed actions. Presumably one of them is Revision, allowing us to fix or improve a design in 1 TU. It might be better to give ourselves a chance to fix our design before facing Tutorialbot.
On the other other hand, we're fighting Tutorialbot. We will probably survive even with a sub-par design. If the salvage is sub-par, we can either salvage again, or do a simpler design. If the salvage is good, but not great, we could still do a decent design and revise it if necessary. There are a bunch of ways in which we could recover from a single failed action. I think I'll stick with the riskier option for now- although if there is more support for the basic Nerd Shit plan, I wouldn't mind swapping my vote over to improve the consensus.

Long Live United Forenia!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Salvage Plan Lance of Light Longinus (2): Maximum Spin, Stirk
Of all the ideas, this one is coolest.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Wreck-It Bob (1): King Zultan
Better Nerd Shit (3): NUKE9.13, Madman, Doomblade
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wreck-It Bob (1): King Zultan
Better Nerd Shit (4): NUKE9.13, Madman, Doomblade
I just want to build a gun
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11