Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "How hard should the game be?" asked Threetoe.  (Read 4435 times)

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"How hard should the game be?" asked Threetoe.
« on: May 20, 2022, 04:24:16 pm »

First of all, thanks for asking!

I haven't played the game in several years, and I never got really good at it. I know there have been lots of changes since I played last. But I still follow its development closely. I'm just adding my two general cents.

I definitely want a challenge. I like the tradition of difficulty, even unto ultimate impossibility, that the game has. I like the idea that it's essentially always on Survival Mode. But I also like the newer changes that cause difficulty to come from the world itself, rather than some sort of scripted sequence. And I like that some worlds will be harder than others to survive in just by chance. If there are lulls, because we've defeated an enemy, or some world event is distracting them, or whatever, that can be a period of recuperation and build-up. That gives me hope that maybe I can outlast the game, even if I really can't.

I'd also expect the difficulty to come, to some extent, from the location that I choose. If I make a choice that amounts to creating The Shire, someplace that's so peripheral that it gets forgotten, I'd expect that to be easier than if I pick the world-wide crossroads or something on the border between hostiles.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "How hard should the game be?" asked Threetoe.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 05:52:54 pm »

Huh i was going to make this thread over on general discussion, because adventuremode comes into it too but i guess fortress mode is very apt for the question being asked.

Im a longstanding on-off player & modder for pretty much the entire ver 40. plus period to present. I can make it hard or easy, or dip into mods that do that kind of decisionwork for me but i think most of the vanilla-game tools players have are sufficient to already suppressing "difficulty" and the rest fall into game decisionmaking which is a gradual process for the player to sort out without holding their hand but still trying to nudge them in and out of their comfortzones.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd also expect the difficulty to come, to some extent, from the location that I choose. If I make a choice that amounts to creating The Shire, someplace that's so peripheral that it gets forgotten, I'd expect that to be easier than if I pick the world-wide crossroads or something on the border between hostiles.
Its funny how in completely seperate posts, we've both gravitate between locations being a sticking point for difficulty, but the matter of the fact is that if you go to a dangerous place, you're going to have a dangerous time. I have another section to add about combat particularly which isn't really something a casual token modder can do much about.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah that's my couple of cents on the matter with some light suggestions within.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 07:33:16 pm »

I think location would be the best way to do it as well.  But it has to be made very clear what the dangers you will face.  How far away in the world various dangers are, and how interested they would be in you.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 07:52:57 pm »

Location/distance from enemy civs is definitely a way to decrease difficulty, as is a "violence slider" that was once proposed as a worldgen preset option for future myth and magic update options, along with randomness, magicalness etc.

For distance related difficulty, I had thought about goblins trying to bring siege engines as something that, if you're far enough from their civ they can still bring mounts and trolls but siege engines become impractical to bring along.

I like the ability as we already kinda, not necessarily deliberately, have to set up your own difficulty by choosing peaceful locations or violent ones, disabling invaders, temperature calculations, etc

We also have d_init.txt settings now, but config files like that people don't like to have to dig through the game files to find them. If we have access to those settings from an in-game or even title menu only setup screen, that would make disabling invaders, economy, etc much easier for newcomers. One new configuration or in-game difficulty setting could be a "player fortress siege priority" value, where increasing the value increases the likelihood civs that are hostile to you will send sieges to your fort instead of other targets, as well as an option to allow civs that are out of range to interact with your fort by default to send caravans or sieges as long as they have access to you by an over land route
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 08:04:38 pm »

There is challenge from game play.
There is challenge from bugs.
There is challenge from game design flaws.
There is challenge from RNG.

I've played DF for a long time on-and-off. It's > not FUN < to constantly lose fortresses I've spent several real life days building up to things beyond my control.

Difference between "hard" and frustrating. I should lose a fort if I mess something up, not if a dork decides to go swimming in a drainage canal with her newborn infant, or the game lags out due to numerous game logic issues, or the dorks simple refuse to do their jobs because they are too busy reading, or a caravan glitches out, or Miner McGreedy has several pages of items in his inventory the fortress needs, or any of the other issues that can happen beyond my control.

Yes I mod the game files to reduce some of the headaches.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 09:16:26 pm »

I think location would be the best way to do it as well.  But it has to be made very clear what the dangers you will face.  How far away in the world various dangers are, and how interested they would be in you.

I agree to some extent, but I also think most of this information should be discoverable from the map itself. I do agree that the game often needs more explanation of what's happening internally to cause various external effects. However, I also think the game needs to retain some of its overall mystique. I think players should be able to conclude, for themselves, what the effects of their own decisions are likely to be, and to investigate the world around them to look for causes.

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 09:31:28 pm »

Difference between "hard" and frustrating. I should lose a fort if I mess something up, not if a dork decides to go swimming in a drainage canal with her newborn infant, or the game lags out due to numerous game logic issues, or the dorks simple refuse to do their jobs because they are too busy reading, or a caravan glitches out, or Miner McGreedy has several pages of items in his inventory the fortress needs, or any of the other issues that can happen beyond my control.

I don't know. Some of those sound kind of fun to me, or at least interesting.

GumNut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 11:11:23 pm »

My main issues with difficulty are actually food abundance, trading and migration.

Food production is extremely efficient and quickly becomes trivial, requiring little to no work to feed a fortress no matter the size.

The value of easily renewable resources (e.g. masterful lavish roasts) makes trading fairly trivial since you can quickly buy out entire caravans with little difficulty even with a minimal fort.

Migration though is what, in my opinion, actually impacts the difficulty the most. If the migration was more reasonably paced and your dwarves weren't as easily replaced the difficulty would change drastically. Losing a squad or two of dwarves would have a deeper impact than "oh, I didn't realize my legendary X was in the squad, guess I won't get masterful X for a while". And a migration wave would have a deeper impact than "guess I need more bedrooms for my new haulers". You would also be required to do a bit more careful planning since you wouldn't as easily simply throw more dwarves at the problem (hauling stone from candy levels to surface cause it's convenient for you as the player). It would also make babies more meaningful since they would have more of a chance of being a valuable way to populate your fort. Making changes to food production and production values would impact the migration waves since the migration is based on produced value, but I feel like having a multiplier for wave sizes and a value for the chance that a wave will try to show up in a given year would go a long way towards being able to personally adjust your difficulty.

Personally I'd probably enjoy playing with a wave multiplier of 0.2 and a wave frequency (chance that a wave will try to migrate) of 0.5 in the current state of the game.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 05:05:21 am »

Most of the difficulty by far comes from figuring out the user interface. If anything in the game should be easier, this is it. Well, and fixing bugs so you don't need to learn how to play around them.

spinnylights

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Leather Dress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 07:56:44 am »

Just for the sake of convenience, here's a copy of Threetoe's post from the blog in case anyone else wants to get caught up quickly:

Quote from: Threetoe 05/20/2022
How hard a game should Dwarf Fortress be? The more technical among you have already found the text files that govern this. The various triggers that cause everything from dragon attacks to goblin snatchers are relics of a more primitive game where nothing existed outside the patch of mountain you dug into. Now the world is super-big, filled with all sorts of bad stuff waiting to find you. The triggers still exist, simulating the rumors of your wealth that the trade caravans spread to the outside world. However, nowadays, instead of generating an army from nothing, enemies are drawn from existing populations all over the world. The triggers are pretty much the same, but it is possible to do stuff like tick off the elves with a raid in order to get them to attack early. That might give you some control, but you are still on the same clock for everything else.

It's for the sake of the noobies that the triggers exist. No one wants to get overrun while they are still figuring out how to play in year 1. There has to be a default difficulty. We are in the process of logging the invasions versus different scenarios to calibrate this. Should it be based on population? Maybe traded wealth? Maybe you think you should have some time to prepare for the invaders with your hundred dwarves. Or maybe you want the dragon to come right after you buy out your first caravan. We are going to make this all customizable in a settings menu, but what about before you mess with that? How hard should the game be?

Sound off on the regular channels! We are monitoring you.

I kind of feel like he's talking about difficulty sort of in terms of combat/"world threat." In my mind, there's more of a built-in threat slider than a "clock" in the game in terms of how much wealth you generate over time, and how much you buy from caravans, because you have a degree of control over those things. If you're not ready for "big threat," you can take care not to generate too much wealth as you make your preparations for big threat, e.g. by using low-value materials or sticking to utilitarian items or the like, and also not to export too much valuable stuff. This lets you tell the game to some extent how much threat you think would be fun or exciting or whatnot at that time. To me this system is already really really elegant, one of my favorite in any game really, because controlling the amount of wealth you generate and deciding on your approach to the next caravan and so on is itself a kind of fun and interesting little set of games to play I feel like, so it's neat to communicate this larger gesture of "let's dial the threat up" or "not so much threat just yet" or whatnot through the means of that game. It also feels sort of like cool RP to me to do—laying low and building in secret, or being brash and confident and showy, make lots of fancy art and having a rowdy tavern and so on. Through this means, you can think about what sorts of dwarves these might be and why they might have come to this place and so on during the early game, so I feel like the "classic" trigger system is really nice both on a narrative level and on a mechanical level.

Of course, it tells the story of like, "word spreading about your fortress" in a pretty impressionistic way. I think it works really well on that basis, like on the basis of just giving you the visceral feeling of that happening, but I also do totally like the approach of having actual rumors that spread around the world and other simulated settlements and societies that they spread within and so on. That gives you a whole new perspective to look at the idea of "the story of your fortress" from, the sort of "macro high fantasy" angle, legends passed down through the ages and elaborate geopolitics and so on, and it's neat to imagine something on that kind of huge narrative scale playing out on as minute a level as one reindeer vs. beak dog interaction in front of you or whatnot. So I'm totally happy with the current direction.

There's an obvious sort of tension there with the old system of course, just because it's so vague, it just says like "(X) shows up when (a/b/c) numbers align" or whatnot, so it doesn't map very obviously onto a system that's trying to simulate large-scale sociocultural interactions. In that context, your fortress is just one settlement among many basically, and it doesn't really make as much sense to put you in this like super protagonistic role that the old trigger-based system has you in. The difficulty with that of course is that like, if you look at it from the perspective of vaguely medieval history or something, a  "highly accurate" simulation might have 80 years of peace in a large city or back-to-back wars sweeping through a tiny town, in either case due to forces well beyond them. If you were just playing on the scale of one settlement in that kind of context, you would only expect to have an impact on large-scale patterns of peace and conflict in the world around you if you were very politically prominent relative to surrounding settlements. You would only expect to reach that kind of position well into the game, when it's less important for you to be able to carefully restrain the amount of threat you're under. So, from the earlier perspective of "the joy of playing to tell the game how much threat you want early on," this tendency in a "highly accurate global politics simulation" feels kind of awkward.

What I think might work in well in this context is to have every settlement follow the same set of triggers in the simulated larger world as in the player's fortress, or at least a similar set of effects. Like, a model of a small town that looks more like, "no one knows they're here yet, so they're safe," and where there is some early stage in a settlement's development where it is "lying low," and in a way that in the player's case they can kind of influence in various ways by adjusting their playstyle. I'm not sure the current set of what stimulates rumors quite does this, because it seems to center mainly on artifacts, which are produced at a relatively constant rate which the player doesn't have much control over. It does seem like it would make a kind of reasonably-fast linear ramp-up in difficulty over time, which would probably be all right, but I think it would be lovely to preserve the ability to "lay low" or "be brash and bring on the big threat" in the early game even within the larger political simulation. In a way I think this goes beyond "mere difficulty"—even for an experienced player, it has to do with the sort of story you feel drawn towards that time around.

To be honest, I kind of feel like it would work fine to keep the existing triggers as they are for the player's fortress more-or-less and just treat the other settlements in terms of the rough wealth they've generated over time and their population size. Then there could be a larger world with complicated large-scale stories playing out and the player fortress would fit elegantly into it in a way that preserves the lovely quality of the early game. I think giving a kind of "manual threat slider" in the settings is great too, as long as the game has any sense in the background of a "sliding threat scale," just because that gives another fun way to play the game, experimenting with the different threat settings or designing little "scenarios" you want to play out. If you're treating the other settlements similarly to the "old school" trigger model, it kind of implies that every town has a "threat level," so artificially lowering or raising any town's threat level (including the player's) doesn't seem too weird still from the perspective of the game design.

I guess, at the same time tough too, I don't necessarily think the triggers are the be-all-end-all of this kind of design for sure or something, I just do think they work quite well, specifically basing the threat level off of generated and exported wealth. That approach is nice in that it's worked into the game everywhere on a variety of levels, how you approach it has to do with your holistic sense of what your fortress is all about that time instead of just like "what the game thinks you should do" or whatever, and it's never exactly the same problem twice. Probably any system with those properties would be at least as good, if it turns out that other things about the larger-scale simulation fit in too awkwardly with the generated-and-exported-wealth-leads-to-threat approach. Wealth is nice because it's a number you can just kind of attach to everything freely and the player will accept it to some extent, because it has to do with how much things are worth in the dwarves' world, so although we would expect e.g. gold to be valuable it's fine and even desirable to some extent to surprise the player here and there with how valuable something might be or not, so you can base your idea of the worth of everything largely on other concerns then seeming credible to the player. It's nice to have some idea that you can work into the game everywhere where the player won't have too strong a set of fixed ideas about how the thing should be. I'm trying to think of other aspects of the game that are similar, but population and created artifacts and so on, while similarly abstract in scope, are much less under the player's control. There's the biome of course, but even that is a part of your thoughts about how you will generate wealth, because it determines the medium upon which you'll do this. :P Those dwarves, so ruthlessly industrial… XD
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 11:03:16 pm by spinnylights »
Our little Kinsmen — after Rain / In plenty may be seen, / A Cross and Grumbly multitude / The soiled Ground upon // A needless life, it seemed to me / Until a little Roc / As to a Tavern saucily / Advanced and breakfasted. // As I of He, so Armok, me / I pondered, may have judged, / And left the little Mountain-folk / With Wariness enlarged. —–Emily the Poetic Thorns

UristMcGoose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 11:39:46 am »

I think location should be a big part of difficulty. Also, some way to increase the likelihood of invasion or events for a challenge.  Currently the game provides enough to help mitigate difficulty in my opinion (i.e. boarding up and being a hermit). Mostly I think we should have more tools to make things interesting and dangerous.

fortunawhisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 06:48:58 pm »

I think the difficulty the game settings should default to are 'medium', so that all challenge features are enabled. If anything, it should be slightly more challenging at launch than normal. The game is notorious for its difficulty (earned or not) and should lean into the 'losing is fun' maxim. And if the first patch note is something like 'Armok demands slightly less blood' ... *chef's kiss*. I think the current starting defaults tend to work reasonably well, although for the sake of new players it might be worthwhile to identify hazards at the civilization selection, site selection, or embark screens. The game already does this for salt water, maybe that could be expanded. Here are some conditions that could trigger a warning: Civilizations at war with you, proximity to hostile sites, hostile terrain, hostile wildlife, or isolation from the parent civ. You could also think about difficulty in terms of long before something interesting happens from off-map activity. A very challenging game tends to have immediate problems, the easiest almost never. In my opinion, I think the right mark there is around 1.5 to 3 years.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 09:37:18 pm »

I don't think there should be something as crude as a "difficulty slider." 

I think it should be an extension or maybe even a simplification of the current situation where you craft the difficulty to yourself by literally generating and playing in the kind of world that has what you want in it.

You get to pick your own idea of fun.  I like volcanoes and metal and lots of megabeasts and semi-megabeasts to make it not such a playground.  The embark is dwarf utopia but the rest of the world has other ideas.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2022, 03:02:59 pm »

Answering to this:

It's for the sake of the noobies that the triggers exist. No one wants to get overrun while they are still figuring out how to play in year 1. There has to be a default difficulty. We are in the process of logging the invasions versus different scenarios to calibrate this. Should it be based on population? Maybe traded wealth? Maybe you think you should have some time to prepare for the invaders with your hundred dwarves. Or maybe you want the dragon to come right after you buy out your first caravan. We are going to make this all customizable in a settings menu, but what about before you mess with that? How hard should the game be?

I think theew should be TWO settings:

Newbie - As now. Invasions and monsters etc are coded in to show up at various game posts, like pop reches 30 and so on.

Experienced - In this setting, invasions and monster attacks and so on should be based on the world you generated and your location.

So if you're embark close to a dragon, a cyclops and a necromancer that wants to rampage, then all hell can break loose right at the beginning of the fort.

My reason for preferring that is I love the idea of a fort just being part of the generated world with no special advantages or anything. The game should IMO not have a difficulty level as such - it should just be like, if you pick remote, safe site with no neighbours, then you might be out of harm's way and never get attacked. If you pick a site in the middle of mayhem, you should be attacked constantly.

I really like that there's inpredictibility to it - that when you pick a site, you can't know if there's a bunch of monster lairs around it. This to me is just realistic and cool and I think it would just be fun if you got attacked by some megabeats when you're just 7 dwarves in the fort.

And it would also make the forts very different. One fort would be very peacefull, and it would be about making nice bedrooms and so on, another one it might be constant bloodshed.

Wealth makes sense to me though as a trigger for some kinds of attacks.

Raid attacks are, I guess, about plunder, so the goblins would not bother to plunder a poor fort with nothing to grab. I am not aware if DF-dragons are like Smaug in Tolken and are motivated by gold - but if they are, they should also just show up if the rumour is around that you're a rich site.

Some monsters I guess have no special motivation for attacking one site instead of another, (I guess werebeasts and hydras don't care about wealth and probably just attacks whatever is close by for the heck of it.)

So I think it should be like, there's different kinds of attacks:

- some attacks you get simply because there's dwarves to kill and eat there, they only depend on location.

- some attacks are for money, so the likelihood of them should depend on traded wealth or on fort value*

- some attacks are because of poitics, say if your civ is a war with some other civ. I guess goblins also invade sites because they want to take over the world, I don't see why they would not like to conquer a small fort just to grab it and bathe the world in chaos.

*I find it fair that visitors would realize roughly how rich the fort is based on tavern talk and then spread the rumour, so I find it fair enough that the goblins know how wealthy you are, also if you don't trade much.

It would be cool if you got some sort if indication on embark as to the difficulty - like if you embark right next to 3 dark forts and a necromancer tower, the game should tell you there will be a lot of action.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 06:33:17 am »

It would be cool if you got some sort if indication on embark as to the difficulty - like if you embark right next to 3 dark forts and a necromancer tower, the game should tell you there will be a lot of action.
 There is a screen in the choose-the-embark-point that tells you how hostile the area is, and who your friends and enemies are at that point. Legends Mode Viewer tells you who your civilization is at war with.

'Embark Anywhere' allows interesting location options ( including inside other settlements ), and sometimes a world record for fastest way to kill all of the dorks. 
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?
Pages: [1] 2 3