Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pointy-Eared Guide  (Read 1461 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pointy-Eared Guide
« on: May 25, 2008, 09:08:00 pm »

As the wiki notes, the pointy-eared tree-huggers (also known as 'elves') have really terrible starting equipment, and restrictions on where they can get equipment from, but are the fastest of the three default races.

Has anyone found any techniques for sucessfully getting better equipment as an elf, since the elves have no shops, and you can't wear human or dwarven equipment? Are there any other tips or tricks elf-players have?

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Re: Pointy-Eared Guide
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »

Kill your country men. They usualy have fairly good armor.. =] you can even burn the bodys on there beloved trees if you want.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »

Just practice wrestling and sleep in a few rivers.  If you can get really high skill in wrestling combined with as many agility boosts as you can get, you will be virtually impossible to hit.  Who needs armor?

You can still use human weapons and shields, mind you.

Also note that you will start with better armor if you pick a melee weapon instead of a bow.  But make sure to take some skill in bowmanship so you're not crippled the first time you try to fire an arrow, as you'll want to train up your bow use so that you can take full advantage of your uncanny speed.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 03:37:00 am »

Or if you're really boring and stupid, how about using Dwarf Companion? Nothing shows lack of skill like cheating! However, this is perhaps one of the most fun things to do with elves. I often turn myself into a skeletal zombie elf swordmaster with legendary bow skills and god-like speed.

It's quite interesting. I killed almost an entire Pocket-sized world.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

I've never been able to get DC working, it just crashes on me, despite having the latest Python + the runtime you need to play it installed.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

You're better off getting the DC 0.10 EXE version.  It's in the thread, and it's the only one that works for me, too.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 09:54:00 pm »

Incidentally the guy who made the exe version released a 0.11 version which fixed the random crashes for me.
Which were only occurring half the time with the 0.10 exe anyway, but having it work 100% of the time is nice too.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 12:31:00 am »

On the website here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Dwarf_Companion#Important_warning  - only the Python method is mentioned, which crashed. I tried doing a search and browsed around the boards for a forum post with an exe, but can't seem to find one.

Do you have a link? (I think you meant above that theres a non python version?)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 02:30:00 am »

There is one thing though that you can say about Elves that gives them one HECK of a trade off

Because they are nearly immortal (as good as immortal) you will never see one age to death.

Though I don't know many people who play Dwarf Fortress enough for even a human to have died... in total.

Though I guess if there is ever a "Speed up time" option to allow a few years to pass it would be more useful.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 03:39:00 am »

Yeah, I'm sure the Elves brag about that one.

"Way to go, guys! You lived that guy to death! Ha-ha!"

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 03:39:00 am »

Thanks guys, I got the exe version to work! You are all awesome.

Regarding the elven lifespan...

Thats true. I saw a series of elven leaders in a world I'm playing now whom (well, alright, two) - were born in the year 1.

I think my year is 1055 or something?

Styrre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 01:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>Because they are nearly immortal (as good as immortal) you will never see one age to death.</STRONG>

That is why evolution made the retractable bridge. As the elf's natural enemy, it keeps the population in check.

The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush! Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!

mkbunday

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 01:54:00 pm »

Elves are actually very powerful once you've got them started, here is my current character.

That one blood stain is from the ONLY time I've gotten injured this game. You mostly just dodge and block everything. The only tough part is starting up, because of the equipment issues mentioned. The way I started was with 10 in sword, 9 in wrestling, 8 in armor, 7 in shield, and 6 in throwing. Basically, the weapon you start with is crap, so go kill a goblin and trade the silks for a metal weapon ASAP. And don't bother with quests from the elves, go straight for human towns. It's too much bother finder the druids.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »

Interesting.

Though, what I'm thinking of doing is - I have to do the research first to see if it'll mess up the history of my dwarven people or whatever, or what other bugs it might have - is changing the civ_controllable tag on my next fortress from Dwarves to Elves, creating a Lothlorien style tree (well, I'll pretend the bottom levels are trees) city, and then when it dies, sending my elf adventurer to get a full suit of legendary elf weapons and armor. I've heard rumors there are troubles with Elves cutting down wood in fortress mode though, so that might be a problem.

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: lastofthelight ]

Pages: [1] 2