Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Trials of a Space Lord  (Read 3178 times)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trials of a Space Lord
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2022, 10:12:26 pm »

D. Ferroturgy, obviously.
There’s few solutions to hostile technology quite so elegant as ferroturgy. Metal bullets, metal wires, metal blades, metal armor, all raw material to work as you will! Honestly, you’d be surprised that it wasn’t more common, if you hadn’t invented the discipline yourself.

For example, let’s take these bullets being fired at us.

I mean, literally. Let’s take the bullets, as they’re being fired at us. Don’t even bother letting them get any closer than necessary, that would waste time and introduce unneeded risk. Let’s just grab them out of the air and throw them at similar speeds at the people we want shot instead. Especially whoever’s manning the autocannon - it’d be easier to wrest control of it away if there’s not somebody immediately at its controls.

(Note: ferroturgy is metal-magic. “Metallurgy” doesn’t work due to already being a different thing, and I refuse to use “-mancy” as a general-use magic suffix when it is and always has been specifically for divination.)
+1 I like the sound of using their bullets against them.
+1 i dont care what we call it
+1

Potency 2 Pirates vs Potency 3 (Power-Armor) Space Lord
Roll (2,1)

Ha! The fools feed the engine of their own demise. You stand up and expose yourself to their assault, bullets slamming into your armor as your magic flares and you command the bullets to reverse their course.

For a moment they tremble and slow in the air, and you grin beneath your helmet as you see fear spread in their eyes. They keep firing, however, and bullets fill the air as you just try to concentrate and flip these damn bullets- your concentration shatters at the roar of an autocannon driving a shell into your armored chest.

You fly backwards into shelves containing their shattered bottles and through it. The cannon roars and the shells keep flying so you scramble back, slightly deflecting the shots coming your way.

You might have an opening when they have to reload, but if you can’t capitalize on that it’s going to get worse as the pirates maneuver for a better shooting position on you. Already the captain you captured scrambled away from you and you feel like screaming as you deflect a shell inches from your head.

This won’t do at all.

Take 1 damage. 3/4 health remaining

You could still use some of the previous options. Using various techniques and methods grants you experience in those areas, and we will solidify your ability range once the Pirate Base is conquered.

I’ll provide some Ferro/Metal options here, but feel free to make something different as well.

What do you do?

A. Make a Mobile Fortress
Call up as many metal sheets as you can locate and wrap it into a mobile fortress. Add any guns you find and set them to shooting hostile targets. That autocannon will make a nice addition. . .

B. Orb of Rebuffed Attraction
While perhaps managing the hundreds of bullets being thrown at you was a little. . . much, you can make a temporary artifact to handle the mental load for you. The Orb will convince the bullets coming to make a home in your body to return home, grabbing the bullets and redirecting their trajectory.

C.Spinning Disk of Doom
Just get some metal, polish it up a bit, but a Rune of Murderous Intent on it and just give it a toss in the general direction of some necks. You could probably whip up a few of these.

D. Something Else?

And for Future Reference. . .

F. Ferroturgy?
M. Metallurgy?
P. Metallopharmacy?

Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2022, 10:17:00 pm »

C
Killing them faster is always an effective way to resolve a combat situation.

F
It's not a term being actively used by other concepts, and it rolls off the tongue reasonably well, or at least no worse than other common names for arcane disciplines. The other two options are each missing one of those.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2022, 10:48:59 pm »

D. Maybe we're not actually good at metallopharmacy after all. Maybe that's why the ship went down in the first place. Maybe we should just try summoning demons by sacrificing the pirate captain instead.

It's totally called metalloPharmacy though.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2022, 10:58:31 pm »

Please don't call it that. That just doesn't sound good.

Every Space Lord knows that anything you invent needs to have a name that sounds good. Nobody can be afraid of a master of "metallopharmacy" when they can't even say the name of the discipline without laughing. No metallopharmacist is going to strike fear into those who hear them referred to as such.
A ferroturge, though? A master of ferroturgy? Well, the discipline name isn't intrinsically terrifying, but the sound of it isn't ridiculous, either.

If people hear you're a metallurgist then they're just going to think you make alloys, and that's just kind of worthless.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2022, 11:37:31 pm »

A

S for Siderurgy, else F for metalloPharmacy

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2022, 11:55:51 pm »

A ferroturge, though? A master of ferroturgy? Well, the discipline name isn't intrinsically terrifying, but the sound of it isn't ridiculous, either.
I think you and I have different ideas about what sounds ridiculous.

My ideas are better.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2022, 01:56:25 am »

C

I really like the sound of metalloPharmacy so that's the one I'll go for.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2022, 04:59:52 pm »

It's totally called metalloPharmacy though.
+1

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2022, 06:15:56 pm »

C

F
It's not a term being actively used by other concepts, and it rolls off the tongue reasonably well, or at least no worse than other common names for arcane disciplines. The other two options are each missing one of those.
+1
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2022, 04:49:29 pm »

C

F
+1
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]