Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Trials of a Space Lord  (Read 3181 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: Trials of a Space Lord
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2022, 02:26:05 pm »

A We can use the few strong members of these guys- whether as batteries or people, they're more useful alive.

Can we increase the potency of existing materials in some way? If we can, is there any benefit to one strong item as opposed to many weak ones?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2022, 02:35:23 pm »

B
She's not exactly doing a great job as leader right now; why would she be any better on our side?

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2022, 03:42:30 pm »

Can we increase the potency of existing materials in some way? If we can, is there any benefit to one strong item as opposed to many weak ones?

Kind of! Going magic means you invest some additional power into your constructions, moving them up a tier in potency. You can eventually try to manufacture higher quality material, but that will require a higher tier material as a base.

Going up a tier in potency results in much stronger effects, so it’s generally better to aim for stronger tier than more items.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2022, 01:49:34 am »

B
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2022, 10:50:08 am »

Assuming the pirates are just as good dead as alive, what were to happen if we were to trying and use as much of the surrounding material as possible - be that the base, the pirates, or anything else around - to make something a bit higher-tier? Basically, can many Potency 1 objects be combined into a single Potency 3 or 4 object?

I'm assuming there'd be some problems, but I'm curious. This is a neat system!
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2022, 10:27:41 pm »

B

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2022, 02:38:04 pm »

B
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2022, 10:03:51 pm »

B

(4)

You magic up a pair of handcuffs and toss it at the pirate captain. It clatters loudly at her feet as the music cuts off with a squeal.

You crack your neck.
“It would be best for you if you put those on. “

Her reply is a plasma bolt to your face. Luckily you catch it with a hastily raised ward, but she dives behind the bar as you fling the bolt of burning green plasma back, blowing a fiery hole into the side of the wooden bar.

The fight breaks out in earnest as you charge forward, gunfire roaring as your dominated minions exchange bullets with the cursing, drunken pirates. One pirate aims a shotgun at you, but your power-armored slap sends the man spinning down through bar stools and gun flying from his hand. Bullets ping off your armor as you crash through the bar and hastily block a saber from cutting through your neck with your bracer.

You snarl as purple fire courses over your arms and you launch a flurry of blows. This pirate captain apparently has some measure of skill, deflecting your first few blows. But her blade cannot stand to your magically empowered fists, and as your speed increases she cannot keep up. You knock the sword from her hands, and a few more blows to her torso knocks her down. You magic another pair of cuffs and bind her hands.

Looking up from it appears your dominated squad was mostly wiped out. Sad, you were starting to get used to the smell.

You duck back behind the bar as bullets eat into the wood around you. That is indeed an autocannon they are taking off the wallThe pirate captain spits a globule of blood at you.

You could try rushing out there and dispatching them hand to hand, but you could also try turning to:

A.Necromancy:
Well you have a lot of dead bodies to work with! Turn the dead useless pirates into Zombie Pirates! Able to use guns with minimal accuracy. (Potency 2 Pirate Zombies created!)

B. Pyromancy:
Well you are surrounded by vast quantities of … fine liquor, you could use it. Turn that into the fuel for a hellishly magical flamethrower.
(Create Potency 3 flamethrower)

C.Demonology:
Well, the captain you beat up and captured isn’t probably going to like you much, perhaps you could just sacrifice her to summon a much more useful demon? (Summons a Potency 4 demon.)

D. Something Else?
Available materials are mostly 1 and 2 tier, except for the captain you captured. Enemy pirates are 2nd tier, but in enough numbers to present a threat to your person.

Spoiler: Some “Rules” (click to show/hide)
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2022, 10:14:54 pm »

D. Ferroturgy, obviously.
There’s few solutions to hostile technology quite so elegant as ferroturgy. Metal bullets, metal wires, metal blades, metal armor, all raw material to work as you will! Honestly, you’d be surprised that it wasn’t more common, if you hadn’t invented the discipline yourself.

For example, let’s take these bullets being fired at us.

I mean, literally. Let’s take the bullets, as they’re being fired at us. Don’t even bother letting them get any closer than necessary, that would waste time and introduce unneeded risk. Let’s just grab them out of the air and throw them at similar speeds at the people we want shot instead. Especially whoever’s manning the autocannon - it’d be easier to wrest control of it away if there’s not somebody immediately at its controls.

(Note: ferroturgy is metal-magic. “Metallurgy” doesn’t work due to already being a different thing, and I refuse to use “-mancy” as a general-use magic suffix when it is and always has been specifically for divination.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:50:12 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2022, 01:55:17 am »

There’s few solutions to hostile technology quite so elegant as ferroturgy. Metal bullets, metal wires, metal blades, metal armor, all raw material to work as you will! Honestly, you’d be surprised that it wasn’t more common, if you hadn’t invented the discipline yourself.

I mean, literally. Let’s take the bullets, as they’re being fired at us. Don’t even bother letting them get any closer than necessary, that would waste time and introduce unneeded risk. Let’s just grab them out of the air and throw them at similar speeds at the people we want shot instead. Especially whoever’s manning the autocannon - it’d be easier to wrest control of it away if there’s not somebody immediately at its controls.

(Note: ferroturgy is metal-magic. “Metallurgy” doesn’t work due to already being a different thing, and I refuse to use “-mancy” as a general-use magic suffix when it is and always has been specifically for divination.)
+1 I like the sound of using their bullets against them.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2022, 12:30:21 am »

odds of being able to ferroturgically integrate the autocannon into our armor?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2022, 01:11:55 am »

I disagree on the following grounds:
  • ferro- refers only to iron, not other metals, which are 'metallum' in Latin and 'metallon' in Greek
  • the -t- in 'ferroturgy' is excrescent, since the components are ferro- and -urgy; it implies something like *ferroton (which doesn't exist) in the genitive instead of ferri
  • this is a miscombination of Latin and Greek parts, which will get us laughed out of all the good linguistics parties
I propose we either stick with "metallurgy" and make a running gag of explaining to peons that we're not talking about that metallurgy, or radically switch language branches and call it something nice and Germanic like "orelist".

ETA: Or we could pick a Greek suffix that more directly relates to sorcery ("-urgy" just means "work"; the only connection to magic is the familiarity of "thaumaturgy", "miracle-work"), such as my personal favorite, "metallopharmacy".
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 01:15:00 am by Maximum Spin »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2022, 05:41:02 am »

yeah -urgy is not a magic-related suffix

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2022, 09:11:01 am »

+1 i dont care what we call it
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2022, 02:53:33 pm »

+1 i dont care what we call it
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5