Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Trials of a Space Lord  (Read 3199 times)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trials of a Space Lord
« on: May 12, 2022, 02:42:35 pm »

The Beginning, or Down With the Ship

You walk with a sense of purpose down the rumbling hallway, not letting the sirens piercing the air reach your countenance.

You were a Space Lord, even with your ship breaking around you it would not do to show fear.

You reach the door to your personal hanger and press your hand to the bio lock. It opens with a hiss, and you strangle the sudden terror that threatens to seize your heart.

Your escape craft is gone. Arathorn, your treacherous second in command, likely took it right out from under you.

You rush back down the hallway. A common escape pod will have to do.

Crewmen press around you as push and shove your way through the throng as the Federation fighters continue to pound your dying cruiser

A fight almost breaks out as you force your way into one of the last of the pods, but you brandish your las pistol and the crew step back as the hatch seals in place.

The pod jettisons off into the void, one of a shoal of spiraling pods. The Indomitable, your cruiser, continues to halfheartedly provide covering fire from its turrets into the swarm of fighters around it, even as boarding ships latch onto its hull. But the cruiser is set to crash into the planet below, you won’t see it used against you.

Perhaps you can scavenge and raise her carcass back to life when you return to power.

You were a Space Lord, master of all you survey, and you shall rise again.

What is your name? The more self important the better.

All Space Lords are masters and shapers in some way. What is your preferred method?

A. Gene-Splicer: Master of mutations, you can shape creatures and men into their fullest potential and beyond. Little in the way of biology is beyond your grasp.

B. Cyber-Crafter: Robotics expert and master of cyborgs, you can make wonderous and terrible technology. Circuits and metal bend to your will, and inventions fly forth from your mind.

C. Mystic-Maker: The strange and weird is your domain. Through ancient and forgotten arts you summon your legion, one that science cannot understand.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trials of a Space Lord
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 02:43:00 pm »

Potency

Potency is the measurement of the base strength of a creation, raw material, or foe. Potency is related to the item it is assigned to, for example a potency 3 warship would still obliterate a potency 5 company of warriors.

(Rough idea of scale)

1-Civilian level/ baseline human.
2-Law enforcement, militia level, basic guns.
3-Basic galactic level military, platoon sized effect.
4-Elite and advanced level miltary/ company sized
5-Special forces grade, regiment sized effect.
6-Galactic black ops level, Space Marines, Divison level effects
7-Space Marine elites, army sized effects
8-Primarch level, multiple armies sized effects.
9-Primarch+, world sized effects.
10-Emperor of Mankind level, solar system sized effects

Magic
So you have chosen the path of magic! Limitless possibilities await you! Infusing Magic into raw materials and creations enhance your potency by one! However, this does carry the drawback of your creations losing potency and effectiveness the longer they are away from you unless precautions are taken.

Quick Creation:

All Space Lords, in addition for their gift for grand projects, can quickly whip together improvised tools for their situations. Most creations are well within reach except for the most outrageous. Roll a 2d6 and take the higher result, with a 1-3 being a sub-optimal result and and 4-6 gets you broadly what you were aiming for. With more time you can correct your creation.

Conflict: So when conflict/combat between two peers are needed and about equal potency, a roll is made. When potency is equal and no mismatch in powers, a straight 1d6 roll is made, 1 leading to painful failure, 3 is failure but an opening is made, 4 is success but consequences ensue, and a 6 is a clean success.
When potency is 1 higher or lower, roll is made with advantage/disadvantage respectively. 2 higher or lower is max roll or lowest roll, and higher than that is utterly outclasses.

Reminder that Potency only applies with like objects. Cleverness can overcome power disparities. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:15:50 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 02:53:07 pm »

C
Magitech is fun.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 03:00:17 pm »

C

We are Komra, The Bloodthirsty, Ruler of Men and Destroyer of Worlds

((This is a suggestion, I'd like to see what other people think of. Mine's almost cartoonish :D))
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 03:48:34 pm »

C is fine, although I wouldn't necessarily mind A either.

Komra sounds a little too COMMUNIST for my tastes. How about... Ambrotomegas Pantokrator?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 04:03:00 pm »

Ambrotomegas Pantokrator
+1. We need no title beyond this, for we have already made our name synonymous with supremacy.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 02:16:48 am »

Ambrotomegas Pantokrator
+1. We need no title beyond this, for we have already made our name synonymous with supremacy.
+1

C
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 08:07:02 am »

The escape pod violently tumbles across the ground. Locked into your seat, you watch ground and sky swap places in quick succession. Until it finally comes to a stop.

You, Ambrotomegas Pantokrator, Space Lord, clamber out of the pod, robes twisting in the wind. A sheer cliff drop leading to the sea lay at your back, while rolling hills lay on the other side. You are alone for a moment, but you have no doubt that scavengers will come for your pod.

It is Gomoruga you have landed on, after all. The whole planet is full of pirates. Which is why you have come here, of course.

You turn to the Pod and the crewpersons getting out the pod and eyeing you with wary glances. The pod is damaged, but you could salvage something from it still. The crew people are normal unenhanceds, perhaps useful as raw material or fuel.

You have a short time to prepare for the pirates coming to loot your pod. What do you do?

Space Lords, of course, are capable of bending circumstances and matter itself to their whims. In this case you are rather rushed for time so your creations may be less than optimal. You have the Damaged Escape Pod, Potency 2, and looks like 6, no make that 7 crewpersons.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A- Damaged Escape Pod (Potency 2), You could turn this into powered armor, a turret, an ensnaring trap to beguile the pirates.

B-Seven Crewpersons (Potency 1) Being Potency One, you could either “improve” them with pieces of the escape pod or sacrifice them to summon demons or void creatures. Your choice, Space Lord.

C- Do nothing for the moment!

(Will gain experience with your chosen method)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 08:49:10 am »

I would say A and make ourself some sort of powered armor - it doesn't have to be perfect (though obviously the higher quality the better), but we need something to protect ourselves if caught unaware. I would personally say focus on defense, with a magical shield if at all possible. Hopefully we're strong enough to handle some basic enhanced combatants with what we've already got and some solid defense.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 09:46:23 am »

How about we rig the escape pod as a trap that will wipe the minds of anyone who attempts to get into it and anyone close to them (except us), then hide. When the pirates trip the escape pod, we straight up destroy their minds and then turn them into mindless servants?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 09:51:18 am »

How about we rig the escape pod as a trap that will wipe the minds of anyone who attempts to get into it and anyone close to them (except us), then hide. When the pirates trip the escape pod, we straight up destroy their minds and then turn them into mindless servants?
+1 to that! Maybe also fill it with illusory riches or whatever to prompt as many to approach it as possible?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 12:24:00 pm »

I am somewhat concerned that a trap is less useful in the long term than some of the other options.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 12:28:09 pm »

Hmn. True.
What about repairing the thing and making a getaway?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 12:31:32 pm »

Hmn. True.
What about repairing the thing and making a getaway?
I think of escape pods as by definition single use, without the kind of thrusters you'd need to reach orbit... we might be able to make a ship out of it, although without fuel we'd probably have to either burn the crew as fuel, or sacrifice them to demons for help. :P

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 12:34:16 pm »

Actually, I think we could manage to sacrifice the pirates to the warp, we just need to be able to subdue them. Hmn.

Skies’ power armor idea is gaining appeal.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5