Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The "I'm not nuked yet" thread  (Read 1646 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "I'm not nuked yet" thread
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2022, 02:13:26 am »

With in the next few weeks god will probably be turning up the thermostat and I'll probably be wishing I was in a nuclear winter.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2022, 02:19:29 am »

Ah, but the first few weeks of heat feel so good.
Then it's wishing for winter.
Then the first few weeks of winter come, and it feels so good to be cold again.
Then it's wishing for summer.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 02:37:18 am »

Not where I come from it goes from like ten minuets of pleasant right into OH GOD I'M BURNING when it hits summer.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2022, 09:45:36 am »

Not where I come from it goes from like ten minuets of pleasant right into OH GOD I'M BURNING when it hits summer.
I could see that.
Where I'm at, it's generally a dry heat early on.  We don't often get much over 90 degrees Fahrenheit where I live.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2022, 09:59:05 am »

Call me a pessimist, but to me it seems inevitable. So much sabre rattling, new empires, new hate, new wars, new alliances. This can't end well. The nukes might fly in a few days, or they might fly in ten years. But it is going to happen. We've had 70 years to prove ourselves sane as a species and get rid of our self-extermination device. We failed.

I'm looking for a better place to live in a post-apocalyptic world. A better way to live, too. My last hope for humanity is that maybe, just maybe, the survivors of the coming catastrophe will be wise enough to build a better future. And maybe I could even play a part in that future. Probably not, though. Oh well. I've been lucky and had a good life.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2022, 10:24:02 am »

Actually, the massive amount of time in which countries have pointed nukes at one another proves that massive Nuclear Armageddon is quite unlikely.
Or, essentially if we were going to nuke ourselves back into the Stone Ages, we would have done it by now.

It may help to remember that there is a lot of steps between Crackpot President Hits Button & Nukes Be Flying. 

Plenty of opportunities for various individuals to say "NO".
And the Crackpot President(s) know that.  So they do NOT test their ability to Hit that Button.

I feel it's important to remember this for two reasons:
1) Nukes are currently allowing Genocide to occur, and are being used to justify inaction in the fact of that Genocide.
2) One has to push those Nuclear Armageddon fears out of their mind in order to get on with the work that is human existence.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2022, 01:51:14 am »

I could see that.
Where I'm at, it's generally a dry heat early on.  We don't often get much over 90 degrees Fahrenheit where I live.
We have a humid heat here and it is god awful and the hottest it's gotten in this area is around 125 Fahrenheit but usually it stays closer to 100 Fahrenheit.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2022, 02:34:00 am »

I appreciate your attempt to calm me down, EuchreJack. And of course I hope you are right. But those arguments don't convince me at all, unfortunately.

Actually, the massive amount of time in which countries have pointed nukes at one another proves that massive Nuclear Armageddon is quite unlikely.
Or, essentially if we were going to nuke ourselves back into the Stone Ages, we would have done it by now.
Sorry to say it, but all this proves is that we've been really lucky. There is a whole https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_close_calls. On at least two occasions, a single man taking the right decision at the right time saved the world. (Vasily Arkhipov in 1962, Stanislav Petrov in 1983). Not everyone will do the right thing like they did. We can't count on being so lucky all the time.

There are a few factors that make the situation today more dangerous than perhaps ever before. There is not a single "button" that can be pushed; with tactical nukes things can escalate in a gradual manner.
During the Cuban Missile crisis, Khrushchev was a reasonable guy and he was willing to swallow a loss for the greater good. Now we have Putin, who is apparently driven by a deep resentment. The type of person who would escalate, rather than back down. Back in the time of the USSR I feel there was a sort of basic common ground, a willingness to communicate and negotiate that is sorely lacking now. Whereas the public has been lulled into a false sense of security.

And then there is the fact that Trump has killed off several nuclear agreements. The damage that guy has done..

In my opinion, MAD is an absolutely mad idea and people world wide should be on the streets right now. Demanding an end to the Russian invasion, of course, but also to these kinds of weapons.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2022, 03:16:25 am »

I'd just like to say that I doubt the fart master that is Putin has the balls to push the button.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2022, 05:56:26 am »

Had a friendly Mi-24 with a full load flying over my house earlier today (like 5 meters above the roof).

Local authorities installed a new air siren which is louder and more annoying than the last one

Yesterday, a Russian cruise missile killed a lot of fish in a pond which is located ~20km away from my current location. Good way to spend a lot of $

Still, not nuked yet. 
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2022, 01:19:30 am »

You want to know something weird, its been hot for the last few days but today it was cold and that's not normal, what the hell is going on with the weather here?
Pages: 1 [2]