Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 61224 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #525 on: December 13, 2022, 12:57:38 pm »

(@Scriver, initially at least.)
Well, there's always the example set by China (national, including Social Media Credits/Demerits both from and to real-life activities and opportunities) or one of those NextDoor-type intentionally geographically fragmented systems (I've had at least a couple "Please come and join us at the North Southcentral Eastwestwick Village Forum page, with the following code, and chat with you fellow neighbours..." come through my door over the last year or three[1]...).

I'm ultracynical about having to engage, this way, and while it's still a worldwide scrum where you don't have to be tied down to either private or governmental mode of online communication (assuming you're lucky enough to still have that choice) then I can mitigate a lot of the problems in the current "overpowered information holder(s)" system by just voting with my fingers and choosing whether/how to participate in any given bandwagon.

[1] For all I know, everyone in my suitably little isolated bit of geography is now using this exclusively to talk about how asocial I'm being. But nobody's saying it to my face, so maybe someone else is just pretending to be me, and doing a good job of entirely neutrally representing myself, in absentia

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 14, 2022, 12:58:42 am »

I've been thinking for some time that I want to see a public/national attempt at a social media site. I'm not sure what I want from it in terms of the differences between different social media sites. I just feel like if social media is going to be butting into such a important aspect of people's lives as social media does today, then there is a big argument for not just leaving it to private interests.

I also think a lot about whether it would be good to have nationalised/public "town square marketplace" where people can put up their digital "market stalls" the way fur example amazon enables non-amazon private people to sell through amazon. Basically to prevent the kind of monopolisation amazon do even on independent Internet outlets where amazon's market dominance means that if you aren't selling through amazon you aren't visible to customers.
That already kind of exists; Tiktok.

And not the tiktok that we get here in the USA or most of the world, but the one they get in China, where the government, fully recognizing that social media with no drive other then having an algorithm maximizing engagement is toxic (and a major engine of social change that that they want control of):
1) Limited the daily time spent on it.
2) Artificially controls the topics so that its not 90% dances/whatever by volume and is instead largely educational/patriotic/whatever.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 14, 2022, 01:26:43 am »

I've been thinking for some time that I want to see a public/national attempt at a social media site. I'm not sure what I want from it in terms of the differences between different social media sites. I just feel like if social media is going to be butting into such a important aspect of people's lives as social media does today, then there is a big argument for not just leaving it to private interests.

USA has the issue of the 1st amendment. They wouldn't be able to remove any content except that which outright breaks a law (and most hate speech doesn't.) You'd be drowned in "Kill all <slur>s!", and the best you could do is have a setting to filter it out (via manual flagging or an algorithm, both subject to false positives and potential legal challenges.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 01:37:45 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 14, 2022, 01:39:23 am »

I may be imagining things, but from my personal experience, Twitter moderation became noticeably more pro-Russian in anything war-related.

Oh, and it is currently impossible to register using a Ukrainian phone number :D
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 14, 2022, 03:37:00 pm »

Oh, that is already happening. I've moved on, and hope the US proposed ban on Government phones having TikTok is expanded to Twitter. I mean, Twitter gave us Trump, so it has to Go.
Ahem: that fucking COPS show not being shut down and all the other fucking "reality" tv garbage since then not being punished brutally is why the piece of shit who made Survivor decided to take a terrible businessman and present him as a savvy CEO as a joke which apparently nobody got is how we ended up with the orange cunt as a president.

The discovery by the british of tea in india and sugarcane/ideal climate to grow it in the americas combined with their willingness to destroy the world for it is how we ended up with the slave trade and general eurotrash willingness to slaughter natives is why the US is built on a bedrock of dead natives and horribly abused slaves and white people being garbage left us with a chunk of bitchass loser racists that are STILL pissed at them losing the civil war which enabled a party willing to appeal to exclusively them with no morals to speak of into a perfect storm of the absolute worst and least discriminating garbage people voting for the absolute worst piece of shit ever elected and bitching nonstop that he lost.

So now a rich bitchboy bought twitter to try and appeal to the smallbrained racists who hate it being used for anything but advancing their racist bullshit.

Mastodon on the other hand is great.
You misspelled "Amen"

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 14, 2022, 08:52:26 pm »

Twitter has become a transphobic hellhole.

send toot
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 14, 2022, 09:05:21 pm »

It wasn't already?

I kid. Sort of. Transphobia was already rampant, but Elon's throwing a transphobic shitfit after his wife left him and was hanging out with Chelsea Manning AND his daughter came out and basically disavowed him. Given he runs the company as his own fiefdom despite claims of being pro-free speech (Funny how that only ever, ever seems to apply to right-wing commentary when it's stated out loud, isn't it?) it's hardly a surprise.

Depressing, yes, but not surprising.

Speaking of though, after the recent LGBTQ club shooting there was a tweet sent out by the LGBA blatantly ignoring trans victims. Everyone got on their backs, including a self-avowed gender critical, all telling them they were being disrespectful twats.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 14, 2022, 09:37:50 pm »

Honestly, I didn't used to see the t slur on there, and now I'm seeing it regularly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 14, 2022, 10:12:19 pm »

You folks might find these two articles interesting:
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/12/14/business/bernard-arnault-richest-person/index.html

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/12/14/tech/elonjet-twitter-suspended/index.html

In the first, the now-richest man stopped using his private jet because he was "Twitter shamed" over it's use.

In the second, Mr. Musk suspended the account of the person tracking HIS private jet.

...what a shock

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 14, 2022, 10:16:36 pm »

Moreso, Elon claimed to rid Twitter of bots, yet a woman managed to prove him wrong. Oopsy

https://www.iflscience.com/woman-finds-the-bots-are-very-much-still-on-twitter-with-two-word-test-66609

Taking bets on how long her account lasts...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 14, 2022, 10:49:06 pm »

Honestly, almost every night I see the same 8-10 character hashtag in Chinese trending to the moon and what seems to be thousands of copies of exactly the same tweet from a bunch of different accounts. As far as I can tell it's an advertisement.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 14, 2022, 11:25:07 pm »

Yup.  Been more common.

I've got it easy because I only ever followed twitter to read about a dozen individual feeds, and I can still find those people elsewhere.  Gotta be rough for others, though.

I also browse in a window sized to remove all 'trending' and 'suggested accounts' on the right side of the screen.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 14, 2022, 11:32:44 pm »

The alternatives to Twitter are crap, because they are not scalable (sure, some have decent features and good online communities, but that will not scale upwards). Even the got-no-Twitter-account-but-follow-some-feeds people are not going to want something new.

Without that alternative, Twitter will survive and become profitable. Firing the board was an excellent first step towards a positive profit margin.

For the blue-check's $8/month fee, that seems like a few dollars too much, but it links a bank account to the Twitter account, and wouldn't that assist with enforcement of those federal/state hate-speech laws and with keeping hate-breeders from getting new Twitter accounts after their old Twitter account was banned?

Should do the math on that.  Something like 10% of the costs were for staff.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 15, 2022, 02:04:35 am »

Every day that passes it deteriorates a little more, it's like a car wreck in slow motion.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 15, 2022, 09:33:41 pm »

It gets worse:
Elon's threatening legal action against the kid tracking his movements, and now forbids accounts from tracking people.

Because apparently only Corporations and Rich People can do that, obviously.  :P

...I wish Twitter was dead already.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 69