Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 130130 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #2295 on: February 16, 2023, 09:43:51 pm »

Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: February 16, 2023, 10:16:15 pm »

In times such as these, there is only one correct response:

mods asleep post pony gifs

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: February 16, 2023, 10:45:14 pm »

That's a jpg, apparently.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: February 16, 2023, 11:12:31 pm »

Guys he parses arguments like no other, I think we have been defeated.

Anyway, random dragon is being silly. Toady’s method of moderation is to do it privately and slowly, so even if he is unhappy with RD’s nonsense, RD will get PM’d and probably a handful of warnings before the banhammer falls. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to use the forum.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: February 16, 2023, 11:23:17 pm »

Yeah I don't think it's exactly ideal that one troll gets to have leniency and the only recourse the entire rest of the thread has is "don't use the forum" to be honest, especially if that entails giving genocide denialists a platform to spew their shit. :V

We've already had incidents elsewhere here where DDA's devs having an open Putinist troll on their dev team has become a "dude no, stop" topic, so evidently refusing to let pro-Russian trolls just be quietly forgotten about is starting to become a problem here. If this ends up getting to the point where badgering Toady to not tolerate that sort of behavior on his forum gets me in trouble, welp. I've picked dumber hills to die on in the past, I think "hassle mods to maybe consider not tolerating someone acting like it's normal to ship people to camps" is one of my better choices of hill.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 11:32:16 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: February 16, 2023, 11:37:42 pm »

The entire rest of the thread hasn’t decided to call Toady out on being a deficient mod, just you. RD is free to post his nonsense, just as we’re free to tell him he’s posting nonsense.

I mean, aside from the previous troll dropping in to agree with RD, all the responses have been that what he’s saying is utterly ridiculous, so him having a platform for his ridiculous views is also providing plenty of opposing viewpoints to be highlighted too.

Equally so, RD hasn’t broken any rules. As I said, Toady doesn’t jump to the banhammer, so RD’ll get a talking to, and if he doesn’t buck his ideas up, he’ll get banned eventually. This isn’t leniency because it’s how it’s always worked, so far as I’m aware.

If he keeps posting things you have issue with, keep reporting him. If that isn’t good enough… well, don’t use the forum :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: February 16, 2023, 11:43:58 pm »

The other alternative is he just locks the thread.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: February 16, 2023, 11:45:38 pm »

To be fair I suppose, he hasn't even logged in in five days so it's not like he's actively ignoring the problem, he just hasn't seen it yet.

Now maybe it does mean that appointing an actual dedicated moderator at some point along the way might've been a smart idea at some point, since at bare minimum even if we weren't having this sort of "waiting for Toady to log on to see what he'll do" thing happen it's probably more healthy for the lead dev to not have to be the only one who has to worry about it, but I'm saving the real razzing for if it turns out that sort of thing gets a real lenient response, especially after other-RD's already gotten his posts in multiple threads deleted in the recent past.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: February 16, 2023, 11:51:06 pm »

Truth.

I’m personally surprised politics threads are still allowed on the forum given how they have gone in the past, particularly given the ban on rage threads and Pony threads.

Edit: the other RD I assume you’re referring to was the drive-by troll that posted contentions, contrarian points in multiple threads, rather than just sticking to one thread to pour their idiocy into.

I think we’re doing a reasonable job ourselves of arguing the points, and nobody is getting excessive in doing so, beyond wondering what RD is still doing here.

My assumption is sly attempts at moving the argument away from legitimate criticism of Russian policy and actions, but they’re not very good at it. Possibly this is a training exercise for Russian troll farms?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: February 16, 2023, 11:56:36 pm »

Edit: the other RD I assume you’re referring to was the drive-by troll that posted contentions, contrarian points in multiple threads, rather than just sticking to one thread to pour their idiocy into.

Other-RD being Red Diamond, as opposed to Random_Dragon (i.e. me) since both usernames could be abbreviated to RD. :P
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: February 16, 2023, 11:59:20 pm »

Then you can’t be complaining that Toady isn’t doing anything if Toady is indeed doing something :p

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: February 17, 2023, 03:27:42 am »

There is a debate about whether or not to allow Russian athletes to participate in the 2024 olympics, and a threat of boycott from Ukraine.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/feb/09/ukraine-athletes-ioc-of-kowtowing-to-russia-paris-olympics-2024

Personally I think that Russian athletes shouldn't be allowed to any international sports events, because I believe that a change of Russian leadership can only be done from within Russia, by the Russian people, and so so every effort should be made to show the Russian people that this war is not acceptable in any way and that they are ultimately responsible.

But what concerns me most about this debate is the feeling that the war is starting to be old news to the world. Like "hey, the war started over a year ago, shouldn't it be time to normalize relations to Russia again?". I fear that if international opinion ever comes to that point then Russia will have won.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: February 17, 2023, 03:50:01 am »

@Devastator
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 167