Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 130131 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #2280 on: February 16, 2023, 06:21:56 pm »

They are taking those children from places they consider part of Russia to other places in Russia.  From their POV, they ain't doing anything wrong because those children aren't Ukrainian anymore. 

I am quite pro free speech even for despicable people but I draw the line somewhere around openly approving genocide. This guy really doesn't deserve his posting privileges anymore. Internet is big, there are many places where he will be welcome, this forum shouldn't be one of them.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 06:23:59 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: February 16, 2023, 06:31:35 pm »

Trials and arrests of ex secret policemen and state security officers might have saved a free Russia, but hindsight is, alas, 20/20.

Perhaps you could say hindsight is 2022.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: February 16, 2023, 06:59:47 pm »

For those who like more technical stuff about the war https://www.youtube.com/@PerunAU/videos

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: February 16, 2023, 07:21:51 pm »

They are taking those children from places they consider part of Russia to other places in Russia.  From their POV, they ain't doing anything wrong because those children aren't Ukrainian anymore. 

I am quite pro free speech even for despicable people but I draw the line somewhere around openly approving genocide. This guy really doesn't deserve his posting privileges anymore. Internet is big, there are many places where he will be welcome, this forum shouldn't be one of them.

Maybe I'm missing nuances of English language, but the way he is writing that he is just stating "their point of view", isn't he? I mostly stopped paying attention to him, but I can not really see those two sentences as approving genocide.

Edit: and I read the explanation one of you guys gave earlier about how the UN definition of genocide differs from its original usage, and I agree that the reeducation of those children constitutes an attempt at genocide. I just wanted to point out that POV thing, even if I myself considered reporting that post.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 07:26:25 pm by Ganondworf »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: February 16, 2023, 07:30:35 pm »

Have you tried actually reading the shit diamond spews for longer than five seconds? It's pretty blatantly an attempt to brush off shipping children into concentration camps as perfectly normal because [stupid reason that only works if you deny that Ukrainians are a sovereign country that doesn't deserve to be invaded and subjected to genocide]

Maybe having more than one moderator might be a good idea for this forum, given I know that he's going to be busy with the steam release and such...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: February 16, 2023, 07:34:40 pm »

Have you tried actually reading the shit diamond spews for longer than five seconds?

No I haven't, for the sake of my own sanity. I stopped at "Western Satanists". If you say that he's justifying genocide, then in the light of his demonstrated behaviour I am quite happy with accepting your word for it. So the report button is not working as intended?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 07:42:35 pm by Ganondworf »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: February 16, 2023, 07:42:20 pm »

It doesn't work in any conceivable way. Not as "playing devil's advocate" because his advocacy is still insane from that perspective too. When is kidnapping children from parents justified? What does what the scumbag trafficker thinks is or is not Russia matter?

And, of course, in the context of the other lunacy which is nonstop heroization of the Russian authorities, I don't think they are playing devil's advocate at all, but are rather in full support of these actions, and are plainly stating the fucked up reasons they think it is OK.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 07:45:30 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: February 16, 2023, 07:45:39 pm »

So the report button is not working as intended?

Report button works, mods asleep is the problem. :P
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: February 16, 2023, 07:46:47 pm »

mods asleep post pony gifs

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: February 16, 2023, 07:52:54 pm »

Maybe I'm missing nuances of English language, but the way he is writing that he is just stating "their point of view", isn't he? I mostly stopped paying attention to him, but I can not really see those two sentences as approving genocide.

Well, then compare it to something like:

From the Nazi POV Jews were subhuman parasites and they weren't doing anything wrong eliminating them Formally, this phrase is factually correct and is not a direct approval of the Holocaust but in fact, it is saying that the Holocaust being a horrible crime is merely a matter of opinion

Also,  basically said that forcefully assimilating children is "moving children from place to place", now that is like saying "Germans merely moved Jews, residents of what they considered to be the Third Reich, from place to place"
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: February 16, 2023, 07:59:10 pm »

Well, then compare it to something like:

From the Nazi POV Jews were subhuman parasites and they weren't doing anything wrong eliminating them Formally, this phrase is factually correct and is not a direct approval of the Holocaust but in fact, it is saying that the Holocaust being a horrible crime is merely a matter of opinion

Also,  basically said that forcefully assimilating children is "moving children from place to place", now that is like saying "Germans merely moved Jews, residents of what they considered to be the Third Reich, from place to place"

Thank you, that actually helped me. It was not a language problem.

Edit: removed some quotes
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 08:04:22 pm by Ganondworf »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: February 16, 2023, 08:49:57 pm »

Yeah, context matters.  You can use statements like that when writing a book detailing on their behavour while it being fine.  It's not fine the way RD is using it, though.

I'm gonna hit this one, because it's an actual question and one that can be answered.

It won't matter to RD, but you shouldn't forget that Yanukovich signed an agreement that let him remain on as President before fleeing the country anyway.
He fled the country, what was he fleeing from exactly?  The Parliament I dimly recall removed him from power for abandoning his duties, even though he had valid reasons (imminant murder) to do so. 

RD's phraseology is also important here.  "Imminant murder".  How does Russia deal with dissidents?  Murder?  Poison, home invasions, muggings on the road, various window related events.  Murder as state policy.  Ukraine doesn't do things that way, and it can be proven.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-crisis-yanukovich-idUSKCN1PI27B

Turned out he was only facing 13 years in prison, and his crimes include ordering state security elements to engage in mass murder, as well as accepting billions of dollars in bribes.

There's also Viktor Medvedchuk.  Why is he not dead, if Ukrainian politicians have to worry about being killed?

The biggest failure of Russians in the war is to assume all countries are the same as them.  Here's RD engaging in the same behaviour right here, assuming that disgraced politicians can expect murder in the future.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 08:55:27 pm by Devastator »

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: February 16, 2023, 09:01:22 pm »

The Russian narrative is that Yanukovich fled due to imminent threat to his life after police and security left their posts at the capital, but yes what he really was fleeing from was jail, and became a useful idiot for Russia.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: February 16, 2023, 09:06:37 pm »

RD claims he's British ::) while saying things like "we democrats" and "western Satanists". That and spouting wild nonsense that's only rational to someone fully immersed and marinated in the domestic brand of Russian state-sponsored stupid.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: February 16, 2023, 09:16:40 pm »

As if it wasn't very obvious they're a Russian troll spouting the same usual bad-faith talking points.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 167