Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 130297 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #2115 on: February 09, 2023, 05:18:53 am »

The current offensive is very heavy and loaded with basically all remaining modern tanks.  Essentially everyone who got preserved by the deaths of thousands of mobilized over the past four or five months.  They're armed with the missing unit types that have been taking fewer casautlies than expected, the missing T-80 BVs and T-90Ms.

They're also getting absolutely smashed in massive quantities, and quite frankly, are irreplaceable guys who were carefully gathered together and preserved for six months.

People talk about Russia being able to absorb endless casualties, but these units were saved for this offensive and they're dying really really fast.  You're not wrong to be worried, but the Russians dying right now are ones that were preserved too carefully to be meaningless.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 05:21:11 am by Devastator »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: February 09, 2023, 05:45:28 am »

Western Satanists. I'm dead.

I changed my mind, don't ban this guy Toady, he can be our court jester.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: February 09, 2023, 05:59:07 am »

Western Satanists. I'm dead.

I changed my mind, don't ban this guy Toady, he can be our court jester.
Probably best to just ban him in his own best interest.
Please don't laugh at the guy. Pointing and laughing at psychiatric patients is very unkind, even if their delusions are offensive.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: February 09, 2023, 06:01:00 am »

SpaceX has restricted the Ukrainian military's ability to use Starlink satellite internet to control drones in the war zone, SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell has said. She stated that SpaceX's Starlink satellite internet "was never intended to be used as a weapon".

Heh. Why I am not surprised? Rather unpleasant news, we'll need to find new means for controlling stuff like naval drones
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: February 09, 2023, 07:29:44 am »

Not to be a non native nitpick, but isn't it 'orbits the sun' (or 'flies in an orbit around the sun') instead of 'orbits around the sun'?
An arguable point.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TL;DR; some might feel the "around" to be superfluous, and I might never miss it if absent and there are no confounding issues about its absence. But I don't think it hurts, given that you can use non-"around" clauses of similar contextualisation in the same place. Good question, though.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 07:37:53 am by Starver »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: February 09, 2023, 09:04:26 am »

My linguistic antennae would consider the use of the word 'around', when 'orbit' is used as a verb to be a pleonasm, since orbiting already implies circular or elliptical motion.

"It orbits." "What (not where) does it orbit?" "The Sun" (The where question would be more appropriate to ask when curious about it's apostasis, hypostasis, and inclination)

When used as a noun however, it becomes less apparent, for the question would become

"It is in an orbit."  "It is in an orbit around what?" "The Sun". In this case, the word around is necessary to complete the sentence.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 09:06:12 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: February 09, 2023, 09:53:08 am »

Just watched a video of a Russian priest saying to Russian soldiers "There can be no mercy to satanists, no matter what form they take: a soldier, an old woman, or a child"

"Satanist children" is something that is new even for me, who is beyond used to being called a Satanist.

_______

The funniest part - this church is completely legal in Ukraine

Edit: found it on Twitter with English subtitles - https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1623274200684285952
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 10:05:26 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: February 09, 2023, 10:50:57 am »

What's happened to the Russian patriarchate in recent months is horrifying, and deeply un-Christian. I've mentioned before how tragic it is that people from Orthodox churches are going to war against each other.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: February 09, 2023, 11:08:01 am »

It's always tragic when religion ends up used as just another weapon in war. Whether it be between branches of christianity, whether they're different but have a shared history (people of the book, as muslims would put it), just when used for this purpose at all.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Jrleebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: February 09, 2023, 11:50:00 am »

My linguistic antennae would consider the use of the word 'around', when 'orbit' is used as a verb to be a pleonasm, since orbiting already implies circular or elliptical motion.

"It orbits." "What (not where) does it orbit?" "The Sun" (The where question would be more appropriate to ask when curious about it's apostasis, hypostasis, and inclination)

When used as a noun however, it becomes less apparent, for the question would become

"It is in an orbit."  "It is in an orbit around what?" "The Sun". In this case, the word around is necessary to complete the sentence.
it throws itself at the sun and misses

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: February 09, 2023, 03:09:24 pm »

Edit: found it on Twitter with English subtitles - https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1623274200684285952

Western Satanism is when children exist, but glorious Russkiy Mir is when children die.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: February 09, 2023, 03:10:13 pm »

The Church have been used for a long time. Early on --when Ukraine was still subordinate of Russian Orthodox Church-- it was used to promote the Russian narrative and the necessity of Ukraine's geopolitical alignment with Moscow.

More recently, it been used to provide a better unifying narrative to fight for than tzar Putin's imperialism, in similar fashion to the 'Russian mir' it frames it as war of values/cultures playing on the pervading attitudes regarding pluralism and the decline of conservative values. On several occasions Putin began his addresses to the nations with jibes about ~ westren rich gay people from villas telling them what todo. This framing as fight for conservatism (and coastal elites) is something that many in USA right took too, just as the framing as anti USA hegemony is something that many in China took to.

Meanwhile this is just the "good ol' " war. Whether you like or not, black and white narratives and dehumanization helps to break down moral inhibitions and morally disengage from the horrors of war, and Soldiers who have come under fire often find God.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 03:56:59 pm by jipehog »

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: February 09, 2023, 04:10:28 pm »

Western Satanism is when children exist, but glorious Russkiy Mir is when children die.
That's a cheap shot, you can similarly use Iraq's half a million dead as an example of western freedom

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2129 on: February 09, 2023, 04:29:54 pm »

Praise Stan.
Yo Zelensky I wrote you but you still aint callin
I left soldiers in Donbas there probably was a popular uprising or something you must not have got em
Sometimes I invade a little sloppy when I plot em
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 167