Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 131320 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1275 on: September 21, 2022, 08:19:29 am »

So did this partial mobilisation mean an actual declaration of war?
Love, scriver~

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: September 21, 2022, 08:38:26 am »

So did this partial mobilisation mean an actual declaration of war?

No. Partial mobilization means "We need more cannon fodder because we are losing the war"

BTW, I don't believe in 300K, Russia lies. Always. If they would want to mobilize 300K, they would say 50K to limit negative effects... I think they'll mobilize no less than a 1M

It will be a WW2-like zerg rush, I hope China won't arm this horde with semi-modern stuff.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: September 21, 2022, 11:14:35 am »

Enemy At The Gates comes to mind, if I am remembering the (start of) the right film.

Other than that, my childhood WW2 Eastern Front tabletop wargaming experience, too.
Spoiler: ...rambling (click to show/hide)

To be pursuing referenda, BTW, I suspect they already know the answer they suspect (or know they can enforce). If nothing else, no matter how faithfully they count the votes, anybody who intends to say "nay" to the idea (deemed ellegible to vote and physically/electronically allowed to) will have nicely marked themselves for extra personal attention once the 90+% assertions of Russianess gets officially rubberstamped.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: September 21, 2022, 11:21:14 am »

Quote from: The Guardian
Google searches for “how to break an arm” reportedly surged in Russia after Vladimir Putin announced an immediate partial mobilisation of citizens to fight in Ukraine.

Seems like some folk are not so happy of the mobilisation.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: September 21, 2022, 12:23:25 pm »

Performing self-harm in an attempt to avoid conscription is a proud Slavic tradition. My father lost an uncle that way once.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: September 21, 2022, 12:58:55 pm »

About the change.org petition, a Newsweek article says
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wikipedia says Russia has a mandatory 12-month conscription. Doesn't the September 21st speech mean only those who avoided the mandatory 12-month conscription can avoid the "partial mobilization" conscription?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: September 21, 2022, 01:21:20 pm »

Doesn't the September 21st speech mean only those who avoided the mandatory 12-month conscription can avoid the "partial mobilization" conscription?

Yep! Also, Imagine, you are a Russian professional soldier... You are at war for 7 months with no rotations BUT you know that you have few months left of your contract and you are free... And now they say that your contract is automatically extended until the end of the mobilization!

Or, you are Russian conscript, conscripted almost a year ago. You are among the lucky ones who wasn't sent to Ukraine yet. You had many tense months... it looks like you are among the Lucky ones and will avoid the war... Oh... you are mobilized now and are not going home

The morale of all those guys must be going through the roof.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: September 21, 2022, 02:04:17 pm »

Meanwhile, there is great anger at Putin among Russian "patriots". Reason? British citizens, POWs, were released instead of being publicly executed.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: September 21, 2022, 02:24:03 pm »

BTW, I don't believe in 300K, Russia lies. Always. If they would want to mobilize 300K, they would say 50K to limit negative effects... I think they'll mobilize no less than a 1M

It will be a WW2-like zerg rush, I hope China won't arm this horde with semi-modern stuff.

I won't pretend to really know the intricacies of Russia's logistics and economy at this point, but aren't they struggling to equip and supply the soldiers they have now?  What would they even do with another 300,000 soldiers, much less a million?

For the same reason it seems like the possibility that China would arm them is really remote since I doubt China is going to be giving stuff away for free and if they can't afford to supply their existing soldiers that implies they can't afford to buy Chinese equipment.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: September 21, 2022, 03:29:34 pm »

...and the risk (slight, but, nonzero) of them doing a Barbarossa and opening a second front in the direction of their erstwhile ally in the initial rush.

(Oh, indeed, very very slight, what with the initial blitzkrieg being more-than-stalled, and their own 'friend to the East' being (if anything) more dangerous to try to attack than when the (Reichs)Eagle turned upon the Bear... But I imagine Xi is not relaxing his guard, despite any 'miltary coordination' exercises, and I doubt would even tolerate any move towards an initial Polish-split. (Kazachstan? Let's see what else happens there, first. (North) Korea? No way that'd happen, firstly because of North Korea's militarisation alliances, secondly because of South Korea's militarisation aliances! Mongolia? Well, given the 1920s-1960s, especially, I'm really not sure what initial compromise could even be agreed, and certainly not a "no, you have it..." without either leader making a political/tactical sacrifice...) ...so, yeah, I'm not trying to make a percectly good point there, just demonstrating the additional minor hurdle to add to any such degree of Sino-Russian alliance.)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: September 21, 2022, 09:48:18 pm »

BTW, they are, indeed, mobilizing poor souls that went protesting against the mobilization.

I don't know what they expect from people who a) are against the war 2) can't even throw a rock at riot police...  but they are going to make them into soldiers

And good news 215 Ukrainian POWs were exchanged for ~60 Russian POWs + Putin's pal, leader of the pro-Russian party in Ukraine, Medvedchuk who was arrested early in the war.  Those POWs include commanders of the Azov regiment.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 10:00:33 pm by Strongpoint »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: September 22, 2022, 01:07:12 am »

The Russians on this forum eligible for conscription need to leave NOW. European countries are shutting down visas -- which I'm not sure I agree with -- getting asylum will likely be difficult without these visas or being already a fugitive, they're going to make checkpoints to stop people from leaving the country. Thankfully the border is large. I've heard Georgia or Mongolia are possible destinations. If you get conscripted, break something like your ankle. Make it physically impossible for them to send you to fight.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: September 22, 2022, 02:53:35 am »

I lied at the recruitment center about having even worse vision than I do (by saying I didn't see a letter that I saw clear as day) and got "Category D". I won't get conscripted even if there is a full mobilization. Proud of what I did.

If needed (e.g there is a civil war), I can flee through the Kazakh border and figure out what to do next from there.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: September 22, 2022, 03:06:44 am »

I am female, I don't really have to worry.

Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: September 22, 2022, 03:29:22 am »

I lied at the recruitment center about having even worse vision than I do (by saying I didn't see a letter that I saw clear as day) and got "Category D". I won't get conscripted even if there is a full mobilization. Proud of what I did.

Nicely done.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 167