Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 131045 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #510 on: June 13, 2022, 05:27:50 am »

Russia has already a long list of war crimes in this war.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_crimes_in_the_2022_Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 13, 2022, 07:27:44 am »

In my very uninformed opinion, what may possibly stop them is the perspective of a prisonner exchange. The small spinoff cities are currently shitting their pants right now, their armies is made of every single state worker they could find. They don't have anyone to play the violin because the poor sods of the conservatory have already been pasted by Ukrainian artillery.

Russia, which has been keeping the cities on life support since the beggining of the war, is probably on its last leg as its economy collapse.

My (again, very uninformed and unprofessional) opinion is they will try to use them as hostages to save the skin of their command. They will appeal their sentence and ask for grace, the process will be lenghtened indefinitely and threaten to off them when Ukraine will come banging at their door.

There is a problem with that... Russian public is already celebrating that soon those filthy mercenaries will be properly punished. Just imprisioning\ exchanging them will be seen as weakness and only add to the growing dissent.

The Russian public is becoming increasingly angry due to the lack of big successes on the front. The last large Russian victory was when Mariupol's defenders surrendered on May 20.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 13, 2022, 07:30:08 am »

My (again, very uninformed and unprofessional) opinion is they will try to use them as hostages to save the skin of their command. They will appeal their sentence and ask for grace, the process will be lenghtened indefinitely and threaten to off them when Ukraine will come banging at their door.

I'm not sure, it could be the case, but I wouldn't count on it.

The first thing that came into my mind of the death sentences was that since capital punishment isn't allowed in Russia, they'd rather have them convicted in the occupied territories since there it's possible. I've got nothing to back this theory, but yeah, just a thought that occurred.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 13, 2022, 07:37:01 am »

'You know, Boris, we'd love to pardon these guys, but it's out of our hands. Those breakaway republics are a bit wild, nothing we can do. Now, if we annexed those, then there could be no death sentence, as we don't do that in Russia. So, you know, as long as you acknowledge the legitimacy of their joining Russia, your guys have nothing to fear. And if you won't, their death will be kinda on you.'

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #514 on: June 13, 2022, 01:52:42 pm »

That is litterally what I heard from pro russian bloggers I'm following.  But even with that, there is no indication that thugs who disregard international law will somehow bow down to Russian law either. The three foreign soldiers were captured at the end of Mariupol's hold. Very, very far from the Dombas. They pretty much couldn't have been captured by separatist troops considering the geography and had to be delivered by actual Russian troops. This has to be deliberate.

Whatever happens to those guys, Russian propaganda will milk it dry. If they are killed, they will blast "western governments did nothing to save them", if they are spared, they will blast on how magnanimous they are, and in the meantime try to exploit every bit of negociating power they can take from it.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 13, 2022, 04:35:37 pm »

Whatever happens to those guys, Russian propaganda will milk it dry. If they are killed, they will blast "western governments did nothing to save them", if they are spared, they will blast on how magnanimous they are, and in the meantime try to exploit every bit of negociating power they can take from it.

That's pretty much what will happen, I agree.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 15, 2022, 02:24:27 am »

That is litterally what I heard from pro russian bloggers I'm following.  But even with that, there is no indication that thugs who disregard international law will somehow bow down to Russian law either. The three foreign soldiers were captured at the end of Mariupol's hold. Very, very far from the Dombas. They pretty much couldn't have been captured by separatist troops considering the geography and had to be delivered by actual Russian troops. This has to be deliberate.

Mariupol is literally in the Donbass. It's in the territory of the Donetsk Oblast. DNR militia forces are heavily involved in the fighting on the eastern front, and Mariupol is their city. And those mercs have been killing their people, and are complicit in crimes against their civilians. So it's only fair they get tried according to the DNR laws.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 15, 2022, 03:45:21 am »

Mariupol is literally in the Donbass. It's in the territory of the Donetsk Oblast. DNR militia forces are heavily involved in the fighting on the eastern front, and Mariupol is their city. And those mercs have been killing their people, and are complicit in crimes against their civilians. So it's only fair they get tried according to the DNR laws.

Remains of Mariupol are indeed in Donbas. But let us be clear.

1) There are no Donbas people. Such nation never existed, doesn't exist, and will never exist. Should Russia win this war, they will become the part of the Russian Federation the next day without any autonomy whatsoever.

2) DNR is not a country. Neither it is a breakaway region. In the year 2014, a group of Russian mercs, Russian citizens occupied a part of Ukraine. They did get some help from local collaborators but all those forces always were commanded directly from Moscow from day 1. Ukrainian Army tried to kick those out but then the actual Russian army intervened and won. Since then this territory is occupied by Russia. Neither local people nor local "leaders" have any autonomy.

3) There are no laws in this territory because laws exist in countries not on occupied territories. Whatever rules established by occupying administration are not laws. The only laws that exist in DNR\LNR are Ukrainian laws. Those "courts" are no justice but a bunch of random guys cosplaying judges and prosecutors. I have as much right to sentence someone to death as them.

4) There are no DNR "militia". All those units are under direct command of Russia. Also, while some of them are voluntary collaborators. Most of this militia are forced conscripts who are used as cannon fodder. One of the many Russian war crimes.

5) Foreign citizens serving in the Ukrainian army are not mercs. Even volunteer units are not mercs. Earlier, I posted the definition of mercenary in Geneva conventions. Read it.

6) Russia doesn't even pretend that Mariupol is a part of the so-called DNR anymore. The city sing was repainted to the colors of the Russian flag, not the flag of the DNR
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 03:46:52 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 15, 2022, 04:00:19 am »

(I wrote my own response to Sean, but Strongpoint has gazumped me with much the same detail and much more personal authority, so I'll defer and cut my couple of paras of "I don't think you meant that...". But I added the following 'while I was here', so might as well still drop it in...)

And this is semi-reportery, but there seems to be concern that Putin was rather unstable on his feet at a recent televised ceremony, adding fuel to the fire that he's not necessarily in the best of health right now (with various guesses as to in what way). A comparison between him and HRH Queen Elizabeth II (who isn't scared to announce her age-related frailties, and has not so much to prove) would be interesting, insofar as how he might be cutting back on as much of the visual eye-candy-of-state as feasible. But, by all reports, he maybe ought not to have gone through with this one.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 15, 2022, 04:51:54 am »

Remains of Mariupol are indeed in Donbas. But let us be clear.

1) There are no Donbas people. Such nation never existed, doesn't exist, and will never exist. Should Russia win this war, they will become the part of the Russian Federation the next day without any autonomy whatsoever.

2) DNR is not a country. Neither it is a breakaway region. In the year 2014, a group of Russian mercs, Russian citizens occupied a part of Ukraine. They did get some help from local collaborators but all those forces always were commanded directly from Moscow from day 1. Ukrainian Army tried to kick those out but then the actual Russian army intervened and won. Since then this territory is occupied by Russia. Neither local people nor local "leaders" have any autonomy.

3) There are no laws in this territory because laws exist in countries not on occupied territories. Whatever rules established by occupying administration are not laws. The only laws that exist in DNR\LNR are Ukrainian laws. Those "courts" are no justice but a bunch of random guys cosplaying judges and prosecutors. I have as much right to sentence someone to death as them.

4) There are no DNR "militia". All those units are under direct command of Russia. Also, while some of them are voluntary collaborators. Most of this militia are forced conscripts who are used as cannon fodder. One of the many Russian war crimes.

5) Foreign citizens serving in the Ukrainian army are not mercs. Even volunteer units are not mercs. Earlier, I posted the definition of mercenary in Geneva conventions. Read it.

6) Russia doesn't even pretend that Mariupol is a part of the so-called DNR anymore. The city sing was repainted to the colors of the Russian flag, not the flag of the DNR
DNR and LNR became nations when they declared their independence from Ukraine. They do not need to be 'recognized' by anyone in order to become nations. And yes, they will merge into Russia when they are back to their original borders, because such is the will of the people living there. Nobody in Ukraine asked the people whether they want to be in Ukraine. Nobody in Ukraine asked the people in Mariupol whether they wanted to be "defended" by the Azov. Russia, asked.

All you're doing is spouting the regular Western public-perception bullshit, substituting terms in order to present the "right" conclusions for anyone stupid enough not to see through them. Whether or not DNR exists as a country, you're going to have to go to DNR and ask there. Whether or not there are laws in DNR, you're going to have to ask the DNR law enforcement. Whether or not the DNR militia exists, you're going to have to ask the DNR militia.

Maybe while you're there in Donetsk, asking around, you'll be hit by one of the hundreds of Ukrainian shells striking the city, and get a feel for which side is the one committing war crimes.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 15, 2022, 05:03:05 am »

DNR and LNR became nations when they declared their independence from Ukraine.

Reichskommissariat Ukraine became a nation as soon as it declared its independence from the USSR! But I must say that Reichskommissariat Ukraine had much more right to be called a country because the Ukrainian ethnic group does exist. Donbasian ethnic group doesn't.

They do not need to be 'recognized' by anyone in order to become nations. And yes, they will merge into Russia when they are back to their original borders, because such is the will of the people living there.

Nation is not the same as a country. To be a country you do need to be recognized by at least a portion of other countries. To be a nation... you need such things as culture, language, history... They are no donbasian language, culture, history.

As for the "will of the people." - 1) No one asked them. There are no legitimate government to represent them. You also have no independent sociology there 2) How about asking those who left the occupied territory to save their lives?

Nobody in Ukraine asked the people whether they want to be in Ukraine. Nobody in Ukraine asked the people in Mariupol whether they wanted to be "defended" by the Azov.

Do you even understand what nonsense your words are?  Ukrainian people defend their land from invaders. Why would Ukrainian people ask themselves to defend themselves?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 05:05:50 am by Strongpoint »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 15, 2022, 05:13:17 am »

We got a Z-ombie here, guys! I honestly didn't expect to see an unironic Putinist shill around here. Also note the implicit denial of Russian war crimes. 🤡

Пошёл в жопу, ватная свинья.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 05:15:30 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 15, 2022, 05:29:44 am »

Oh, I missed this masterpiece of Z-ombie thinking

Maybe while you're there in Donetsk, asking around, you'll be hit by one of the hundreds of Ukrainian shells striking the city, and get a feel for which side is the one committing war crimes.

They bomb Donbas for 8 years!!!!

1) Ukraine has a severe lack of ammunition and artillery systems. No one will waste shells to hit civilian targets for no reason
2) If the enemy fires from within the city you will shoot back and sometimes you will miss and civilians will suffer. It is the reality of war. There were no shelling of Donetsk city since 2015. Perhaps restarting the war doesn't help safety of Donetsk, how do you think?
3) Ukraine doesn't do stuff like - hey, we know that civilians are hiding in the basement of Mariupol theater so let us drop a bunker-buster bomb to kill them just because we can. It was an intentional mass-murder of civilians. One of the many.
4) Any moron can look at fresh satellite photos and compare Donetsk which was "bombed for 8 years" and Mariupol which was "carefully liberated".

PS. Иди за русским военным кораблем

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 15, 2022, 06:10:59 am »

DNR and LNR became nations when they declared their independence from Ukraine.

Reichskommissariat Ukraine became a nation as soon as it declared its independence from the USSR! But I must say that Reichskommissariat Ukraine had much more right to be called a country because the Ukrainian ethnic group does exist. Donbasian ethnic group doesn't.

They do not need to be 'recognized' by anyone in order to become nations. And yes, they will merge into Russia when they are back to their original borders, because such is the will of the people living there.

Nation is not the same as a country. To be a country you do need to be recognized by at least a portion of other countries. To be a nation... you need such things as culture, language, history... They are no donbasian language, culture, history.

As for the "will of the people." - 1) No one asked them. There are no legitimate government to represent them. You also have no independent sociology there 2) How about asking those who left the occupied territory to save their lives?

Nobody in Ukraine asked the people whether they want to be in Ukraine. Nobody in Ukraine asked the people in Mariupol whether they wanted to be "defended" by the Azov.

Do you even understand what nonsense your words are?  Ukrainian people defend their land from invaders. Why would Ukrainian people ask themselves to defend themselves?

The 'Donbasian' ethnic group are Russian-speaking Ukrainians, Ukrainians of Russian descent and Russians of Ukrainian descent. Ethnicity is not an either/or. By saying they 'have no right' to self-determine, you oust yourself as a fascist.

There was always a legitimate government there. The Donetsk Oblast and the Luhansk Oblast are regions with local governance. Look up what an "oblast" is if you're sufficiently equipped for the task. The local government represents the people of the region, and the people of the region didn't want to stay in Ukraine. So the regions seceded.

Ukrainian people aren't defending "their" land from invaders right now. Right now the Donetsk and Luhansk militias are pushing Ukrainian invaders out of their territories, with the help of the Russian Army. And the Russian Army is also making sure that none of the other threats the Ukrainian government poses to the people of Russia, and the people under Russia's protection, continue to be threats.

Oh, I missed this masterpiece of Z-ombie thinking

They bomb Donbas for 8 years!!!!

1) Ukraine has a severe lack of ammunition and artillery systems. No one will waste shells to hit civilian targets for no reason
2) If the enemy fires from within the city you will shoot back and sometimes you will miss and civilians will suffer. It is the reality of war. There were no shelling of Donetsk city since 2015. Perhaps restarting the war doesn't help safety of Donetsk, how do you think?
3) Ukraine doesn't do stuff like - hey, we know that civilians are hiding in the basement of Mariupol theater so let us drop a bunker-buster bomb to kill them just because we can. It was an intentional mass-murder of civilians. One of the many.
4) Any moron can look at fresh satellite photos and compare Donetsk which was "bombed for 8 years" and Mariupol which was "carefully liberated".

PS. Иди за русским военным кораблем
1) Ukraine had no lack of ammunition for the past 8 years. They started lacking ammunition when Russia blew up or took away most of their stockpiles. And when they spent all of their ammunition firing at Russian and LDNR troops. And now NATO is supplying them with more ammo and artillery. Several NATO 155mm shells that failed to detonate have already been recovered in Donetsk. Maybe now that DNR government asked Russia for Iskander systems to deal with Avdeevka and other artillery strongpoints around Donetsk the situation will change.

2) There is no military in Donetsk. Literally none. The only 'military' there are the people actually living there, the law enforcement and crisis response. And Donetsk has been shelled constantly since 2014. Look up reports by Patrick Lancaster.

3) Ukraine literally does it. All the time. Russian forces take care not to hit civilians, otherwise Avdeevka and the problems of shelling in Donetsk would have already been over. Not too long ago Zelensky's spokesman Arestovich said "we can shell Kherson if we want to, it's our own city". Right this moment there is several hundred civilians forcibly held in the Azot plant in Severodonetsk by the VSU, to be used as human shields. Just recently a spokesman for Ukrainian military said "the reason we fight in cities is that it makes it easier to maneuver and take cover from incoming fire, reducing our losses". The Ukrainian military right now, is a terrorist force. And they're firing on what they insist is their own civilians.

4) And any moron can see how much destruction was actually wrought on Donetsk. And any moron can look at Mariupol and consider that perhaps the several thousand shells Donetsk gets hit with a year, are different to several thousand shells a day during the fighting in Mariupol, street-to-street fighting with heavy armor and terrorists hiding out in civilian buildings with Javelins and NLAWs. And any moron could also realize that, perhaps, a city that still has functioning crisis response, firefighting, and rescue services, won't suffer large-scale fires and will gradually rebuild as it takes day-to-day damage, compared to a city where none of that is possible, water supply and power has long been destroyed, every stray shell hitting a building could start a fire that nobody will put out, there are caches of weapons and ammo set up throughout causing devastating explosions when they are hit, and to top it all off the maniac "defenders" fire on anyone who moves through the streets, making damage control completely impossible.

Good day to you too.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 06:13:03 am by Sean Mirrsen »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 15, 2022, 06:20:05 am »

It is incomprehensible to me that someone who is mentally capable of playing DF can let themselves be so completely deluded by Russian state propaganda.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 167