Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 131010 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #495 on: June 09, 2022, 09:07:32 am »

And now they are sentenced to death.

I think it is done to increase their "price" in POW exchange.

Or Russians want to put their "DNR" in the same list as ISIS,
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 09, 2022, 09:30:31 am »

Russia might want to execute them to dissuade any other foreign citizens.
Every foreign citizen fighting with the Ukrainian Army builds support with their home country.
It's a long term problem for Russia.

I would very much like to be proven wrong.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 09, 2022, 11:43:50 am »

Mercenaries don't have Geneva Convention protection.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 09, 2022, 12:05:49 pm »

The British guy, at least, is not a mercenary. He's been a Ukrainian citizen for years and simply enlisted. He's a straight-up soldier.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 09, 2022, 12:27:52 pm »

Mercenaries don't have Geneva Convention protection.

Article 47 -- Mercenaries

1. A mercenary shall not have the right to be a combatant or a prisoner of war.

2. A mercenary is any person who:

(a) is specially recruited locally or abroad in order to fight in an armed conflict;

(b) does, in fact, take a direct part in the hostilities;

(c) is motivated to take part in the hostilities essentially by the desire for private gain and, in fact, is promised, by or on behalf of a Party to the conflict, material compensation substantially in excess of that promised or paid to combatants of similar ranks and functions in the armed forces of that Party;

(d) is neither a national of a Party to the conflict nor a resident of territory controlled by a Party to the conflict;

(e) is not a member of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict; and

(f) has not been sent by a State which is not a Party to the conflict on official duty as a member of its armed forces.

Those men are not mercenaries. It is an execution of POWs
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 09, 2022, 03:41:24 pm »

And now they are sentenced to death.

Stinking fuck nazi Ukrussians of the people's republic
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 09, 2022, 03:59:28 pm »

They two Brits were defending Mariupol and were taken prisoner after they surrendered.

(source: Metro, picture: Sky)

They have been residents of Ukraine since 2018.

The third man sentenced to death, Saudun Brahim, was a student in Kiev before he joined the Ukrainian army in december 2021. Couldn't find much more about him.

I wish I had a fraction of their courage.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 10, 2022, 12:11:10 am »

I am 95% sure that it is done to exchange those guys for Russian POV at a good rate...

If not... Well, by the "laws" of this "republic" they have a month to appeal... So in a month we'll have a very pissed British nation and foreigners in Ukrainian service won't surrender anymore (and may become less prone to taking Russian prisoners)

This DNR will receive a well-deserved status of terrorists and Russia will join the lovely list of State Sponsors of Terrorism

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 10, 2022, 01:37:37 am »

I figured surrendering to Russia would end poorly.

Also what happens when they put a whole country on a list of terrorist organizations?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #504 on: June 10, 2022, 09:08:29 pm »

As far as I understood, their execution is mostly a PR stunt, as they are simultaneously waving the fact that there is no death penalty in Russia, henceforth having Dombass be annexed by Russia would be a way to save them. Russian vloggers seem to imply they can appeal their sentence and some of them think it will be commuted in life imprisonment.

"People's Republic" in the Dombass and in Crimea (well, before its annexation) are usual clients of that kind of terrorism and extremist tactics. These are the same guys who shoot up civilian planes.

Part of me really want Russia to collapse economically and leave them on their own, explaining themselves to Ukraine legitimate power.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 11, 2022, 12:07:55 am »

Donbas region is a very, very sad story. The second richest region of Ukraine pre-2014 (after Kyiv) is now European North Korea. Depopulated, with severely damaged infrastructure, with the new generation being traumatized by the war and 8 years of brainwashing...

I see no good scenarios for them. Russia's victory, Ukraine's victory, long war, new stalemate. All options are bad or very bad.

Ukraine's victory is probably the only option that gives them some hope* but we are still talking about decades necessary to reach the quality of life of 2014, IF Western countries will help with the recovery.

*Isn't it ironic that people there see it as the worst option?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #506 on: June 12, 2022, 06:59:27 am »

So I can confirm that they can ask for grace, in which case their death sentence would be commuted into a 20 years prison sentence. Will they do it, and will it be accepted by the puppet judge, that's other questions.

Also, it is for certain : their execution would be a warcrime, as the three of them were under Ukrainian army contract. A french commission is currently boots on the ground to investigate other warcrimes and it took interest in that POW situation.
Captured foreigners are not mercenaries, they are proper soldiers. The benefit of having a competant Ukrainian military infrastructure with little under-the-table contracts.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 13, 2022, 01:39:08 am »

Also, it is for certain : their execution would be a warcrime,
Since when has that stopped them from doing it?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 13, 2022, 05:00:10 am »

Also, it is for certain : their execution would be a warcrime,
Since when has that stopped them from doing it?

Yeah, seems more like if it's not a war crime, the Russian troops don't deem it worthy of doing.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #509 on: June 13, 2022, 05:27:17 am »

In my very uninformed opinion, what may possibly stop them is the perspective of a prisonner exchange. The small spinoff cities are currently shitting their pants right now, their armies is made of every single state worker they could find. They don't have anyone to play the violin because the poor sods of the conservatory have already been pasted by Ukrainian artillery.

Russia, which has been keeping the cities on life support since the beggining of the war, is probably on its last leg as its economy collapse.

My (again, very uninformed and unprofessional) opinion is they will try to use them as hostages to save the skin of their command. They will appeal their sentence and ask for grace, the process will be lenghtened indefinitely and threaten to off them when Ukraine will come banging at their door.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 05:29:06 am by Cathar »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 167