Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 130920 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #435 on: May 25, 2022, 10:11:29 am »

Dear God. That level of of self-delusion makes me want to vomit. Your friend is a much more compassionate person than I am. I find hosting my own family to be insufferable, can’t imagine what he must be going through.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 25, 2022, 10:43:24 am »

Dear God. That level of of self-delusion makes me want to vomit. Your friend is a much more compassionate person than I am. I find hosting my own family to be insufferable, can’t imagine what he must be going through.

You don't kick traumatized people with children out. While I may be facepalming at people like this, trying to fix rationality of people with such a fresh and powerful PTSD is not the best way to go.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 27, 2022, 02:34:24 am »

(... from Junior Reporter thread, with a hint of Out Of Context-ness)

Seems like you'd have to be really bad at your job for you to be able to bomb one of your own planes.
On the contrary. It was the Ghost Of Kiev being that good!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 28, 2022, 07:25:09 am »

Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a bill into law that increases the age limit for signing a contract for military service to 50 years.

Special Military Operation is going according to the plan.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 28, 2022, 07:43:35 am »

Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a bill into law that increases the age limit for signing a contract for military service to 50 years.

Way to discriminate against the WW2 vets!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 28, 2022, 08:01:53 am »

You wouldn't happen to know what the previous age limit was?

Love, scriver~

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 28, 2022, 08:05:14 am »

You wouldn't happen to know what the previous age limit was?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 28, 2022, 08:59:01 am »

So basically they've used up two generation's worth of their "military contract service" pool already.
Love, scriver~

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 28, 2022, 09:32:21 am »

So basically they've used up two generation's worth of their "military contract service" pool already.

Used up is a loud word, it is more of a hidden unofficial mobilization. But they did lose quite a few. Ukrainian claim is that Russia has lost 30K KIA

It may be exaggerated but here is a (Ukrainian) telegram channel with confirmed Russian KIAs mentioned in Russian media and\or social networks. That list has a prooflink for each one. And that list has 2919 names in it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 28, 2022, 10:07:09 am »

It is also entirely possible that far less people are willing to sign a "Contract for Military Service" now that there is a war where the chance of dying is higher than average.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 28, 2022, 11:11:25 am »

The biggest thing the change does is bring the veterans of their earlier wars into eligiblity.

In theory, this could improve the performance of their forces. In reality, those vets are probably rusty as hell, and thenfact that Russia's scraped through the bottom of the barrel amd is nowmdeploying T-62 tanks is likely to offset any gains

As for why that model is significant, it not only carries a worse gun, optics, and electronics, but the armor is plainmsteel instead of the composites used in later tanks. Where you need a heavy ATGM to take out a -72, almost any amtivehicle weapon in the NATO or Ukranian inventory will  take care of a -62. The cheap and ubiquitous AT4 - a very portable one-shot rocket that is onky supposed to be used against light vehicles - will punch right through thenthickest part.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 28, 2022, 11:32:35 am »

The biggest thing the change does is bring the veterans of their earlier wars into eligiblity.

Competent veterans of the earlier wars are either already in the army or among Wagner mercenaries. It is more like a way to save money by utilizing Russian men before their retirement.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 30, 2022, 02:20:32 am »

When do we get to the part of the war where they start throwing everyone that's alive at the war?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 30, 2022, 03:00:16 am »

It’s a special military operation so they won’t/can’t do that. They are training conscripts though, so maybe around mid-Summer you’ll get all of them sent over. Or before as part of their training of things continue to go poorly.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 30, 2022, 03:42:39 am »

I think that the current Russian strategy is rather obvious - grab as much territory as possible before midsummer, then go full defensive enjoying the fact that Ukraine can't level its own cities in the counterattack.

They are actively digging up in Southern Ukraine and bring tons of obsolete equipment like T-62 tanks and D-20 howitzers to achieve this goal
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 167