Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 130265 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #285 on: May 04, 2022, 10:18:48 pm »

Besides the usual Short Victorious War reasons, he also appears to genuinely believe that the Russian Empire deserves to be reborn and rule over all that it once held.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 04, 2022, 10:29:25 pm »

I still don't get what Putin is getting out of this, other than an ego trip.

It makes me thankful we have term limits in the US; it limits the damage egomaniacs can do.

Of course, it doesn't help if there are other places without such limits... QED.

I really hope my kids don't have to live through a world war. Bad enough they've had a pandemic already.

Putin seems to have more control of his country since the war started.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 04, 2022, 10:53:42 pm »

It makes me thankful we have term limits in the US; it limits the damage egomaniacs can do.

Of course, it doesn't help if there are other places without such limits... QED.

I really hope my kids don't have to live through a world war. Bad enough they've had a pandemic already.
He thought he would win in a week.

He thought that the world wouldn't care.

He thought his army wasn't so hilariously inept.

Here in Russia, we have a saying. "Индюк тоже думал, да в суп попал". "The turkey also thought, and ended up in a soup".

Слава социалистическим партизанам!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 10:56:04 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 04, 2022, 10:58:19 pm »

They are really, really trying to piss off Israel. I hope they realize Israel has a red button too, that is not bound to NATO command structures.

Israel doesn't just have nuclear arms they don't admit to. They have an extremely advanced air force, including the F-35. They also don't have any Article 5 issues keeping them out the way the rest of NATO does. Even in pure conventional warfare, Israel would be a devastating addition to Ukraine's defense.

Israel won't intervene in Ukraine in any meaningful way. But Israel can team up with Turkey (we live in a weird timeline) and solve the security risk called Assad's Syria
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 05, 2022, 07:00:54 am »

Israel won't intervene in Ukraine in any meaningful way. But Israel can team up with Turkey (we live in a weird timeline) and solve the security risk called Assad's Syria
Talk about "strange bedfellows"... I'm not even sure how that would work, even with convoluted layers of "my enemy's enemy is my friend". But, as you say, this particular universe's savegame seems to have a (so far) nonfatal corruption in its entity-affinity datastructure .

(And given who else is annoyed at Turkey, and who else is annoyed with those, etc... Projecting forward, it's obvious that Israel and Palestine end up best of buds in the near future!)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 05, 2022, 08:05:03 am »

Projecting forward, it's obvious that Israel and Palestine end up best of buds in the near future!

That would be quite the plot twist!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 05, 2022, 08:19:01 am »

Pulling the reins tighter is not something you do when you're in control, it's what you do when you find you're not in as much control as you thought you were or at risk of losing control, in an attempt to regain control.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 05, 2022, 08:44:00 am »

Or, you've always wanted more control, and now that you've manufactured a crisis - you can have it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 05, 2022, 09:21:52 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You have a city with 90% of its buildings being partly or completely destroyed. You have many homeless and hungry people in this city. You have bodies yet to be recovered.

You also have a crew of workers. What do you you do? You send them to change road signs from Ukrainian to Russian. Priorities! That one damned Nazi і must be removed and replaced with the proper, holy Russian и... It was worth to destroy Mariupol for this.

I can't understand how these monsters explain destroying a Russian-speaking city with ~50% ethnic Russians. How can they call it liberation...
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 05, 2022, 12:25:05 pm »

Are they living under Nazi rule? No!

Are they living at all? Pfft, semantics.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 07, 2022, 09:21:34 am »

https://twitter.com/MacaesBruno/status/1522939929663311873

Just a random snippet from Russian television that casually calls for the physical elimination of 5% of Ukrainians (~2M people)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 07, 2022, 09:53:09 pm »

What scares me most about that television snippet is the aggressive war on truth. It looks like a nightmare written by Orwell. Trump must have learned it from those guys.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 08, 2022, 11:44:01 am »

Haha.

I was about to say, isn't the rank of colonel awarded to every Russian making it through Kindergarten?

https://twitter.com/The_IntelHub/status/1523305708451622912

Soon

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 08, 2022, 05:21:14 pm »

That's a seriously disturbing clip. Kids dressed as soldiers and tanks. Even if (or especially if) that's a yearly thing to have kids participate in the May 9th parade, it's disgusting.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 08, 2022, 09:01:55 pm »

Not seen the clip as a whole (I tend not to run embedded videos when I can help it, for a number of reasons) but I see the freeze-frame placeholder image.

Insofar as "kids dressed as soldiers", I'm less condemnational about. I remember dressing as a pirate[1]when I was 9ish. I don't think either myself or my parents[2] wished to force anyone to walk the plank. It's no more (or less) reprehensible than those drone-shot footages of police vehicles or tealights or general groups of building residents being arranged into the giant Z-patterns in what has basically been made the equivalent of stepping out of your front door/leaning out of your window/standing on your balcony and performing the ritual ofclapping/bashing-pots-and-pans for the country's healthcare workers, every Thursday evening at 8PM or whenever. No doubt (from what we hear about what they hear) it's a 'laudible attempt to applaud those who are undertaking a good cause', and it's manipulation from above that has engineered the 'choice' to go for Z-marked armoured vehicles and kid-sized 'uniforms'. And we already have trouble with the ideas from the apex of the Russian Realpolitik; this neither dents nor embosses the form it already inhabits, to any great degree.

(The annual parading of military-themed displays is something that we expect of Russia, and other regimes of an authoritarian ilk, and do not forget the outrage when Biden's predecessor mooted the possibility of his very own military parade through the streets of D.C. after being inspired (IIRC) by some visit to NK/wherever, IIRC, in one of the many ways he seemed to be a sponge for Cult Of Personality performance-pieces.)

So I'm not outraged. Par for the course, and to solve just this one aspect is impossible, it needs all kinds of detadicalisation to be applied, de-brainwash the state-media-fed population and give them the ability to both access and believe true-and-credible news, to give them the opportunity to appreciate a less filtered and less one-sided viewpoint and make it possible to decide for themselves whether they still supported the fascistic 'denazification' or not.

Then I'll be happy to condemn those who display the demi-Hakenkreuz prominently, get their children to ride replica tanks, etc. Just as any attempt to traditionally celebrate Empire Day in modern-day Britain[3] should be frowned upon.

[1] Not consistently. It was for a particular special occasion. Honest, ye lubbers! Aarrrrgh!

[2] Who I'm fairly sure only assisted me in my characterisation, and did not force the theme upon me for their (or their political masters'!) own gratification.

[3] With schoolchildren parading tableaux vivants of the various dependant nations, maybe here a trailer of stereotypical Canadian gold-panners and Mounties (meh...), but there a float of spear-holding, grass-skirted children in blackface/bodypaint depicting one or other of the African territories. Back when that was a thing, it wasn't a conscious insult... probably considered to be honouring the enlightened former-benighted 'savages', and very few of the adults who organised this would have known much more than their charges about the oppressions exerted upon traditional civilisations in an attempt to (re)civilise them to a more recognisable template. No, they couldn't have realistically known better. But once they could, then it's something to condemn them for, to their faces or otherwise.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 167