Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 129982 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2022, 04:37:15 am »

It is horrible, but as my philosophy is basically human-centric, I can't support the extinction of humanity, even if it saves other species.

There will be no extinction. I can't imagine a single man-made event that won't leave enough people to reproduce. Even in case of full nuclear exchange, there will be places with human populations with DNA pools of sufficient size.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2022, 02:41:35 pm »

It is horrible, but as my philosophy is basically human-centric, I can't support the extinction of humanity, even if it saves other species.

To be clear, me neither. I was venting my darkest feelings there, not expressing what I seriously think.

On the bright side of things, events in Ukraine have been a wake-up call for me to stop sleepwalking through life, to get into action and help build a future. See if there is some community working on a 100% sustainable way of life and join it.
Please don't join a cult.  Usually the cult leader is kinda ugly and insists on sleeping with everyone.

Transforming that into a positive, you should instead strive to make your existing community work to be closer to 100% sustainable.

BBC reports that Ukraine fears children taken to Russia might be subjected to child trafficking.

Spoiler: from BBC live updates (click to show/hide)

No duh.  They're just now figuring out that the whole point of the Russians taking Ukrainian children is so they can give them to childless Russian Oligarchs/Bureaucrats/Generals?   

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2022, 04:01:07 pm »

Here's the news about it from BBC:

Quote from: BBC
Moskva warship has sunk - Russian state media

Russia's defence ministry says its Moskva missile ship has sunk, state media is reporting.

Ukraine says it carried out a strike on the vessel, while Russia claims ammunition on board blew up.

"During the towing of the Moskva cruiser to the port of destination, due to damage to the hull received during the fire from the detonation of ammunition, the ship lost stability," the Russian military department said in a statement.

"In the conditions of stormy seas, the ship sank," it added.
Hurray!
Now that's a costly loss. Those things take years to build
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2022, 04:17:13 pm »

Here's the news about it from BBC:

Quote from: BBC
Moskva warship has sunk - Russian state media

Russia's defence ministry says its Moskva missile ship has sunk, state media is reporting.

Ukraine says it carried out a strike on the vessel, while Russia claims ammunition on board blew up.

"During the towing of the Moskva cruiser to the port of destination, due to damage to the hull received during the fire from the detonation of ammunition, the ship lost stability," the Russian military department said in a statement.

"In the conditions of stormy seas, the ship sank," it added.
Hurray!
Now that's a costly loss. Those things take years to build
A bit of good news and deserved vengeance.  Here is to plenty of future "ammunition accidents"!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2022, 04:28:46 pm »

I find myself surprised at the way Russia wants to be viewed when they claim things like 'ammunition detonations' sunk one of their warships. Surely it's better optics to be sunk by enemy action than by carelessness or poor maintenance. 'Course I'm not an oligarchic dictator, so my perspective is probably skewed on which looks better.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2022, 04:50:58 pm »

I find myself surprised at the way Russia wants to be viewed when they claim things like 'ammunition detonations' sunk one of their warships. Surely it's better optics to be sunk by enemy action than by carelessness or poor maintenance. 'Course I'm not an oligarchic dictator, so my perspective is probably skewed on which looks better.

Well, accidents can happen even to the best, while looking vulnerable to an inferior enemy is to be avoided at all costs. The oligarchic dictator rules by being the stronkest man in da hood. Appearing weak means competitors will try to challenge him.

Surely you remember all the "manliest of men" pictures Putin likes to promote his manliness?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 05:22:14 pm by Ganondworf »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2022, 05:01:25 pm »

This is the same President who didn't mobilise hospitals because then it'd look like they expected casualties or refused foreign sub rescue teams because then their crisis would look like a crisis

Seems like they just always take the laziest excuse because they know even if the lie is obvious, loyalists will accept the lie and anyone who doesn't tow the line is marked as a dissident

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2022, 07:02:07 pm »

I should have at least checked this thread before posting my news query in yon other... Repeated some points positted here, sorry.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2022, 09:18:34 pm »

You are forgiven, my son.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2022, 11:06:08 pm »

Reading Sevastopol city forum is so entertaining :D But one needs to refresh a lot to not miss all posts deleted by moderators.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2022, 07:09:36 am »

(Reporter thread, 'emotional' response.)
Russia says it will hit Kyiv with bombs and rocket attacks in revenge for the 'terrorist sabotage attacks on Russia'.
...well, that ship has sailed. And now been sunk, I suppose.

(More seriously, could it be a casus (post-)belli... "Of course there's missile damage, we had to launch that attack due to the unprovoked attack by Ukraine." Spun through the usual "We have always (not) been at war with..." revisionism.)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2022, 10:00:44 am »

Kremlin spokesman Dmitri Peskov: “If Ukraine continues its provocations by attacking Russian cities, Russia will be forced to declare war"

IMO, Russia may need a declaration of war only for two purposes - General mobilization or use of nukes.

Also, expect a false flag operation with many civilian casualties

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1514941186397683715 Ukraine is winning the trolling war :D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 10:36:22 am by Strongpoint »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2022, 05:37:42 pm »

Not for nothing, but when your cities are getting attacked, it is generally considered acceptable to counter-attack the other side's cities.  It is called WAR.
The real question is whether the targets are valid military targets, such as manufacturing, infrastructure, etc. Or just pure civilian targets.

Not that I believe the reports are anything other than false flag operations by Russia.

Going back, the report about the fuel dump in Russia being destroyed was probably just the Russian military hiding that they already sold the fuel on the black market.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2022, 07:13:00 pm »

My childhood friend who came here as a refugee at age 3, as it turns out, came from Kharkiv.

I finally got some donation links from him. PM me if you want to be passed the information.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2022, 07:28:31 pm »

Russian General gets himself killed so he'll stop killing civilians:
BBC reports that one more Russian general is dead.

Spoiler: from BBC live updates (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 167