Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 130810 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #690 on: July 17, 2022, 04:21:09 am »

Russia: Our Ammo Dumps are NOT being hit.
Ukraine: Then why are you shooting less?
Russia: We've suddenly decided to Go Green and not contribute as much Ammunition waste to our future Country.
Ukraine:  ::)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #691 on: July 17, 2022, 07:25:58 am »

Out of a gesture of good will we have decided to intercept Ukrainian missiles with our tanks

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 18, 2022, 03:30:44 am »

Look at all those Russian soldiers trying to save the local environment from lead contamination by collecting all the bullets with their bodies.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 20, 2022, 04:43:01 pm »

From the news: Lavrov now admitted the goal is annexation and that it doesn't stop at Donbas.

Lavrov said Russia might need to push even deeper if the West, out of "impotent rage" or desire to aggravate the situation further, kept pumping Ukraine with long-range weapons such as the U.S.-made High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS).

"That means the geographical tasks will extend still further from the current line," he said.

Russia could not allow Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy "or whoever replaces him" to threaten its territory or that of the DPR and LPR with the longer-range systems, he said - referring casually, and without any evidence, to the possibility that the Ukrainian leader might not remain in power.
(source: Reuters)

Reminds me of the pro-gun argument of Ali G.: "it is one of the most basic human rights to attack those who are trying to defend themselves".

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 20, 2022, 06:11:54 pm »

When I saw about that, my first thought was about the mental gymnastics involved.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 20, 2022, 07:03:00 pm »

When I saw about that, my first thought was about the mental gymnastics involved.

Putin and his friends seem to be experts in this particular form of gymnastics.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 21, 2022, 01:54:35 am »

Putin and his friends seem to be experts in this particular form of gymnastics.
I heard they won gold for that in the last Olympics.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 21, 2022, 02:59:19 am »

I interpret Lavrov's words as

"Ukraine, please, please, please, agree to let us keep what we already captured and stop fighting! We can't grab much more land (only throw empty threats) and are terrified be an upcoming counteroffensive."

Russia desperately needs some exit. They dream of any kind of de-escalation but it goes other direction. NATO countries give more and more toys, more and more Ukrainians learn how to fight, Ukrainian morale is still high, pro-Russians on occupied territories are starting to see that Russia can't provide decent security and won't rebuild anything, etc.

Even if the upcoming Ukrainian counter-offensive will be unsuccessful (or will never properly start), the war is increasingly unwinnable for Russia. The only possible victory is some kind of ceasefire.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 21, 2022, 05:55:06 am »

In addition to more ammo depots, Ukraine reportedly blasted a state-of-the-art Russian radar system (so new it doesn't even have a Wikipedia page as far as I can tell) that was serving as the main air search radar for the Kherson region. That likely signals an aggressive air campaign at the least, and may signal the start of a major counteroffensive.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 21, 2022, 08:04:04 am »

Seems Ukraine's entire thing here has been to bleed the Russian forces white rather than actually commit to any proper offensive moves, outside of securing the country in the early days. Makes me wonder at what point there's going to be a counteroffensive, or if this is just Ukraine hoping to fend them off long enough that they can survive without being totally annexed because Russia's offensive capabilities are fucked.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 21, 2022, 08:08:35 am »

In addition to more ammo depots, Ukraine reportedly blasted a state-of-the-art Russian radar system (so new it doesn't even have a Wikipedia page as far as I can tell) that was serving as the main air search radar for the Kherson region. That likely signals an aggressive air campaign at the least, and may signal the start of a major counteroffensive.

And also a major bridge near Kherson is being methodically destroyed by the Ukrainian army. Nice bridge... but it will be destroyed by retreating Russians anyway.

Also, Russians are using Zaporizhya nuclear plant as their artillery position and ammo depot bringing more and more there and placing it closer and closer to reactors... Well, it is... a creative tactical decision, High Mobility Anti-Russian System won't hit there but actual accidents do happen. Chernobyl will be a joke compared to this.

Seems Ukraine's entire thing here has been to bleed the Russian forces white rather than actually commit to any proper offensive moves, outside of securing the country in the early days. Makes me wonder at what point there's going to be a counteroffensive, or if this is just Ukraine hoping to fend them off long enough that they can survive without being totally annexed because Russia's offensive capabilities are fucked.

Since early May, it was an open secret that Ukraine is preparing for a major counteroffensive in late July or August. Will it actually start? - Who knows. But preparations are evident.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 21, 2022, 09:51:11 am »

Ukraine has made major counteroffensives - dismissing them as "securing the country" is nonsense. They're just professional enough nowadays to make sure they're fully prepared to smash through what's in their way - one of the best ways to do this is to bleed the enemy by crushing supply lines.

The bridge near Kherson that Strongpoint mentions is a good example. If they can bring it down, a huge part of the occupier's lifeline goes into the river with it, and it is much easier to fight starving people that are out of ammo.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 22, 2022, 12:38:23 pm »

Now bad news -

Russia and Ukraine reached an agreement Friday with the United Nations and Turkey to reopen Ukraine's seaports and guarantee safe passage for the ships carrying Ukrainian grain in the Black Sea.

Russia got what it wanted... And it sucks...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 22, 2022, 01:02:56 pm »

What did Russia get out of it?  It's probably worth it if it avoids starvation in nearby countries.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 22, 2022, 01:14:33 pm »

What did Russia get out of it?  It's probably worth it if it avoids starvation in nearby countries.

I see two things that benefit Russia in this matter.

1) The Russians can sell grain they stole from occupied parts of Ukraine via sea now, which is much more practical for them.

2) This normalises the current state of affairs, which takes political pressure off of Russia.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 167