Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 130952 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #585 on: June 18, 2022, 09:51:23 pm »

Well, I do feel that the mere use of the term fails to indicate anything definite about the ideology. For one, the term has veered more into the mainstream, and it's important to remember a term can have widely varying connotations to different audiences. The term "cultural Marxism" is so vague and ambiguous without further clarification that I'm not even sure what they meant to say...

For them it could just represent a veering away from traditional customs and practices. That's a common point of lamentation for a lot of conservative groups, even not extreme ones.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 09:53:04 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 19, 2022, 01:21:45 am »

Among other domestic Ukrainian news, the Ukrainian parliament will vote for the ratification of the Istanbul Convention tomorrow.

I expect a glorious shitstorm in social networks no matter what the result of the vote will be. Many people will forget about the war and switch their attention to "more important" problems like mentions of "gender" and "gender identity" in this convention.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 19, 2022, 04:42:17 am »

Isn't that what Russia wants, to make everyone stop caring about the war so they can keep doing whatever they want without repercussions.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 19, 2022, 05:29:51 am »

Isn't that what Russia wants, to make everyone stop caring about the war so they can keep doing whatever they want without repercussions.

Kinda. But you must understand the realities of war. If you think that the whole Ukrainian nation united to repel the invader and...

It isn't how it works. There are a lot of people who don't really care and hope to wait it out. There are scumbags who look for ways to profit from the war. There are traitors.

And internal political games and power struggles didn't stop. Not at all
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 19, 2022, 11:18:09 am »

Among other domestic Ukrainian news, the Ukrainian parliament will vote for the ratification of the Istanbul Convention tomorrow.

Just read the Wikipedia article on that and my god, it's like that thing was designed to piss people off! It's one of the most far-left documents I've ever seen!

And that's all I'll say about it because this isn't Europol. All I will say is that Ukraine should have post-boned their decision on this till after the war when national unity isn't a matter of national security.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 19, 2022, 11:31:08 am »

Isn’t that the violence against woman thing? Why is saying violence against women is bad and should be criminalsed controversial?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 19, 2022, 12:00:49 pm »

Just read the Wikipedia article on that and my god, it's like that thing was designed to piss people off! It's one of the most far-left documents I've ever seen!

And that's all I'll say about it because this isn't Europol. All I will say is that Ukraine should have post-boned their decision on this till after the war when national unity isn't a matter of national security.

Yeah, as an anti-theist, I may enjoy how they freak out about the definition of gender and this convention brings a lot of good things but it isn't the time for such steps.

Then again, we entered the war with the most unprofessional and populist parliament ever so I don't expect sound political decisions from them. Thankfully, our generals are actually competent.

(For the record: I think that the "Gender is a social construct" is a quite dumb reality-denying idea and would prefer to not have it in the Law. Not as reality-denying as religions and I don't care that much if someone pushes it but still... Gender ROLES are a social construct but they are still influenced by our anatomy. If we say that gender is a social construct, then society can change someone's gender, literally make someone trans and it is not how transgender works.  But it is not the place to discuss it. If someone really wants to argue with me on this topic I may do so in another thread)

hector13
The problem is the presence of the "gender" (the Ukrainian language doesn't even have gender\sex distinction, they are literally adding a new word by transliteration the English one) and "gender identity". Our churches\conservatives are literally saying "remove those and we can't support this convention more."

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 19, 2022, 12:24:22 pm »

From what I've seen opposition is mostly more empty conservative rage mongering. There's mention of the application of the provisions being irrespective to sexual orientation, and provisions mandating education against stereotyping the roles of women, as well as the mentioned definition of gender as a social construct. The sort of things often spun into AGAINST TRADITION. It's a good point that there is no linguistic distinction between sex and gender in the Ukrainian language which could lead to confusion.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 12:30:21 pm by bloop_bleep »
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 19, 2022, 12:29:15 pm »

Isn’t that the violence against woman thing? Why is saying violence against women is bad and should be criminalsed controversial?

It’s already bad and it’s already criminalized. The document is more of an expansion to existing domestic violence laws, and it takes things in an extreme far-left direction.

As Strongpoint mentioned, the bill goes out of its way to define gender and it uses the “gender is a social construct” definition, but that isn’t the only thing in there that might rub people the wrong way.

The problem is this, Ukraine is not a progressive country. Race relations are still stuck in the 80s. This bill is not going to be accepted by the Ukrainian people and when it gets rejected, bad actors will use this to argue that Ukrainians are bigots (true) and Europe should not dirty itself by helping them out (let’s just be complicit in genocide instead). Tankees are enough trouble as it is.

If it somehow does pass, then Ukrainians will accuse the European government of blackmailing Ukraine into signing it and then faith in the government at this crucial time will be damaged.

Regardless, it’s gonna hurt the war effort.

EDIT: Ninjaed
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 12:32:53 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 19, 2022, 12:34:09 pm »

Eh, I would say Ukraine has the potential to be far more progressive than you think, but kicking up a political storm at this juncture seems suboptimal.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 12:35:52 pm by bloop_bleep »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 19, 2022, 01:14:46 pm »

The problem is this, Ukraine is not a progressive country. Race relations are still stuck in the 80s.

I can agree that the type of racism that comes from uneducated violent losers is not uncommon but compared to the 80s of the US... No, not really. You also should understand that black-skinned and Asian people are quite exotic in Ukraine, especially outside of large cities.

Sure, there are more problems with Romani and North Caucasian people but when it goes like "I dislike ethnic group X, ethnic group X usually looks like this, I dislike people that look like this," it (usually) isn't true racism but an ethnic conflict and\or xenophobia.

This bill is not going to be accepted by the Ukrainian people and when it gets rejected

If I'd have to bet, I'd say that it is 2 to 1 that it will be ratified tomorrow.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 19, 2022, 10:53:31 pm »

snip
I disagree with this, though I generally agree that it should be left for after the war.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 20, 2022, 01:07:16 am »

snip
I disagree with this, though I generally agree that it should be left for after the war.

I would be very surprised if you didn't.

Anyway, if you are in a mood to discuss Sex-Gender difference, gender, gender roles, transgender, etc - feel free to call me to whatever thread in which it will be an on-topic discussion.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 20, 2022, 06:02:43 am »

If I'd have to bet, I'd say that it is 2 to 1 that it will be ratified tomorrow.

And it is ratified. I should go and enjoy the storm on social networks. It would be such a huge topic in peacetime but few people seem to actually care now. Priorities have been shifted.

_________
Among other news, there are yet to be confirmed reports that the Russian garrison on the Snake island got a very fiery morning

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 21, 2022, 01:17:50 am »

Seems like a weird thing to be worrying about while the country is being bombed.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 167