Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 130991 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #570 on: June 17, 2022, 03:58:39 pm »

I know a lot of Americans don't want to fund it at the same level. Which to me, makes sense.  Guns are more expensive than ammo, on the most basic level of understanding.

There's whining from candidates about the cost, but that's to be expected - it is election season. Polls show that support for "give Ukraine everything they want" is still overwhelmingly high. Indeed, the most common criticism I see from ordinary people are misguided (the logistics challenges of getting stuff from the transshipment point in Poland to the front lines are incredible, and only possible at all because Ukraine has spent a ton of labor building the necessary networks) claims that the most recently announced aid packages are not good enough.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 17, 2022, 04:09:21 pm »

Boris Johnson actually found it more important to go to Kyiv, today, than Doncaster. He's more commited to promising support to Ukraine than even helping out a deprived area of his own country!

(I'm sure there's no truth to the fact that, given his many detractors at home, he thought that if he actually went into the active warzone that he'd still find less flak going his way.)

Whoops, a little political, Ladies and Gentlemen... I do apologise!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 17, 2022, 04:18:01 pm »

Interesting, what does one feel after twitting "My husband's best friend died in front of his eyes" and receiving dozens of messages celebrating this event and many more wishing her husband to join the friend ASAP?

War in the digital age is quite personal.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 17, 2022, 06:34:24 pm »

Entirely a normal response. It shouldn't be, but it's par for the course.

Possibly some account bannings will result. Inconveniencing a few genuine yet abhorent individuals. Water off a duck's back and adding a few more minutes' overtime for the fake but at least as abhorent ones who wish to fulfill tomorrow's quota as well.

I'd give my sympathies to the party concerned (the original Tweeter to whom both the news and the backlash hit home), but I can't pretend to have sufficiently comforting or reassuring words for either issue. I might just wish inconveniences upon the beligerants responsible for either/both attacks, for all the good I can hope to do to make the situation feel better. I'm not actually past caring, but I also know I'm too adrift from any practical solution, so these rambling sentences of mine are pretty much as good as I could really provide. Take them how you can, if you need them at all. Otherwise, ignore my verbose exasperation at a situation not even of your making.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 17, 2022, 06:54:41 pm »

How would you have felt if he died fighting in the Russian army?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 18, 2022, 01:14:41 am »

How would you have felt if he died fighting in the Russian army?

Who said I wasn't talking about a Russian poster and Ukrainians doing a commenting raid?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 18, 2022, 03:56:25 am »

Flip a coin and find out which side the story came from.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 18, 2022, 07:39:57 am »

Hm, my concern is actually more that the War in Ukraine is getting blamed for all the World's problems.
That won't help Ukraine in the long run.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/06/17/economy/inflation-wage-gains-economy/index.html

I mean, instead of blaming COVID and the Government's response under both Republicans AND Democrats, Inflation is ALL the fault of the War in Ukraine. Sure, short term we just blame the Russians. But Americans are selfish and self-centered. Any solution to end the War in Ukraine will be championed by at least some Americans.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 18, 2022, 08:02:39 am »

American midterm elections worry me, I can easily see how "War in Ukraine must end and we should reestablish normal relationships with Russia." agenda will be pushed hard.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 18, 2022, 10:22:04 am »

https://unherd.com/2022/06/on-the-frontline-with-the-right-sector-militia/

Good read about the Right Sector, the closest approximation to cossacks one can have in 2022.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 18, 2022, 10:36:50 am »

Great article.
Not done yet, just had to stop and post this most humorous part.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ok, finished.  Sadly, the author is quite right that many of those brave souls will likely perish in the war.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 18, 2022, 12:26:14 pm »

On 17 June, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy reported that the Ukrainian paramedic Yulia Paievska (Taira), who had been captured by Russian occupiers in Mariupol in mid-March, had been released from captivity.

She is not just any paramedic, she is a "neo-nazi" paramedic according to the Russian media. They invented an insane story about how she killed parents of two children and tried to scare those children into saying that she is their mom and trying to slip away from Mariupol.

Just as I expected, Russian "patriotic" segment of the internet is quite pissed because of that and they don't care that it, almost certainly, was some undisclosed prisoner exchange.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 18, 2022, 04:16:23 pm »

Good read about the Right Sector, the closest approximation to cossacks one can have in 2022.

That was an interesting read.

However:
The group’s mission statement on its website asserts that its goal is “Ukraine’s liberation from both external — Kremlin’s — and internal occupation of clan-oligarchic groups, as well as struggle against the imposition of extreme-liberal, cultural-Marxist ideas upon the Ukrainian society.”

Claiming not to be far-right and using a term from a far-right conspiracy theory starts to ring alarm bells, so they're not getting off the hook so easily in my books (but I do agree with their statement that far-right movements are stronger in Western Europe than in Ukraine).

...Not that this matters so much currently, and I do support and respect their contribution to fight off the invasion.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 18, 2022, 07:51:44 pm »

That was an interesting read.

However:
The group’s mission statement on its website asserts that its goal is “Ukraine’s liberation from both external — Kremlin’s — and internal occupation of clan-oligarchic groups, as well as struggle against the imposition of extreme-liberal, cultural-Marxist ideas upon the Ukrainian society.”

Claiming not to be far-right and using a term from a far-right conspiracy theory starts to ring alarm bells, so they're not getting off the hook so easily in my books (but I do agree with their statement that far-right movements are stronger in Western Europe than in Ukraine).

...Not that this matters so much currently, and I do support and respect their contribution to fight off the invasion.
Try to remember that the guy who wrote that mission statement on their website is probably the one most likely to still be alive in a year, for whatever that is worth.  It sounds like a lot of the soldiers on the front lines haven't even seen the website.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 18, 2022, 08:43:21 pm »

It sounds like a lot of the soldiers on the front lines haven't even seen the website.

Yeah, thought of that, and didn't intend to feed into Putin's "Ukrainians are Nazis" narrative with my comment, so, sorry if I gave that impression.

Putin is the problem, not these guys.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 167