Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 130988 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #555 on: June 16, 2022, 06:28:50 am »

Presumably someone told him the optics of his previous statements weren't good.

Or maybe he''s legitimately changed his mind. Hard to tell with public figures.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 16, 2022, 06:37:36 am »

I don't care for "understanding" the other side if they are fascists. The only thing to understand about them is how to fuck them over.
Yes yes we know you hate Nazis and what you perceive to be Nazis you've said it several thousand times now.
It's not like I said it unprompted. The discussion came up.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 16, 2022, 07:06:53 am »

“France has been alongside Ukraine since day one. We stand with the Ukrainians without ambiguity. Ukraine must resist and win,” Macron told journalists in Irpin in response to a question on his previous remarks that Russia must not be humiliated.

Who is this guy and where is the real Macron?

When I read the news, I had to re-read that part to make sure I hadn't read wrong, lol.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 16, 2022, 07:10:58 am »

In the meantime, China is shifting from neutral to pro-Russia.
https://www.politico.eu/article/china-xi-give-most-direct-backing-putin-invasion-ukraine/

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 16, 2022, 08:46:22 am »

In the meantime, China is shifting from neutral to pro-Russia.
https://www.politico.eu/article/china-xi-give-most-direct-backing-putin-invasion-ukraine/
No sign that it's anywhere as much significantly helping out Russia than it's targetted at furthing pure Chinese interests, though. Perhaps a non-subtle backstop against which to leverage China's interactions with the rest of the (nominally sane) world. Putin isn't gaining much more from this (alone). And the Russia-China bridge opened last week with much ceremony was not in response to current needs (the fireworks/etc might have been adjusted a bit to current political detente).

China really has the advantage in the modern world, as a whole. The days when the Soviet Union was the prime Second-World influencer in the Third-World is long-gone, with Belt-And-Road stuff from the new juggernaut of the world in most products (except food? ...not sure how they are in the food game, even against the now broken breadbaskets of .ru/.ue). Perhaps why they tried to grab-back the First-World Aspirant (or even Achiever). And while hydrocarbons are still something Russia has not (by both its own efforts and the majority of Western countries) fully stemmed the flow of towards the previously willing partners in trade, pretty much everything else has been slammed into touch by one or other sanction/boycott actions.

Once the oil and gas thing is rearranged, assuming the need isn't relaxed before the final valves are fully closed, the 'free world' will still have its dependency upon the Chinese market-regions like Shenzhen or via the Cantonese Expo/etc. Russia has nothing like it.

(They have the 'industry' of Baikonur, which hasn't yet been overtaken by Jiuquan, but with NASA/ESA/etc facilities already taking the slack up (space-agency or corporates like SpaceX and the other up-and-coming hopefuls from Bezos, Branson and others that don't necessarily start with Bs). They no longer even have the monopoly in man-rated launches like they did post-Shuttle, though China has not done too much to 'export' their capability in that, and prior to Boeing proving itself properly we're left with just Elon's ride for to-/beyond-orbit possibilities.)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 16, 2022, 12:37:47 pm »

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1537451382608912384

Now, Russian TV casually discusses a possible execution of two American POW
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 16, 2022, 03:41:37 pm »

“France has been alongside Ukraine since day one. We stand with the Ukrainians without ambiguity. Ukraine must resist and win,” Macron told journalists in Irpin in response to a question on his previous remarks that Russia must not be humiliated.

Who is this guy and where is the real Macron?

I'm just going to assume the "Resist and win" Macron is the real one.  Totally legit that guy, not the other one.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 17, 2022, 02:12:07 am »

Ukrainian Navy claims that the Russian 1200t tug Vasily Bekh was destroyed by two Harpoon missiles. It carried TOR SAM system, supplies and fresh troops to the Snake Island

If true, it may be the first successful use of Harpoons in the war
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 17, 2022, 03:14:57 am »

I've always noticed that French people were selfish and self centered.
*gallic shrug of contempt*
Probably should have worded that better I didn't mean all French people.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 17, 2022, 04:42:01 am »

Ukrainian Navy claims that the Russian 1200t tug Vasily Bekh was destroyed by two Harpoon missiles. It carried TOR SAM system, supplies and fresh troops to the Snake Island

If true, it may be the first successful use of Harpoons in the war

There is video purporting to be the missile strike.

There are also reports that Ukraine used a tactical ballistic missile to destroy a major artillery ammunition storage depot in  Krasnyi Luch, which might be eniugh to slow or even halt a major portion of the Russian offensive for a time.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 17, 2022, 11:21:08 am »

Official Message from your OP: I'm opened up the Junior Reporter thread's restrictions a bit on commenting.  So if anyone posts a news article over there, and you have some thoughts on that article, you can discuss the news in the Junior Reporter thread.  Or here, that is fine too.

My thoughts: It seems we are moving into a new stage with our perceptions of the War in Ukraine.  It is no longer the recent invasion and now it is the long term struggle.
Less time is spent discussing the specific events of the war, and more time is spend discussing the effects of the war.

I know a lot of Americans don't want to fund it at the same level. Which to me, makes sense.  Guns are more expensive than ammo, on the most basic level of understanding.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 17, 2022, 11:54:25 am »

"War fatigue" is obviously happening in the West. It isn't something new and exciting. It is background now...

I knew that this would happen.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 17, 2022, 12:27:17 pm »

"War fatigue" is obviously happening in the West. It isn't something new and exciting. It is background now...

I knew that this would happen.

I'm actually quite surprised that many news outlets still have live updates going. Which is a positive thing.

I've also had to stop myself from reading the news constantly (for my own sanity), but I still check them several times a day.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 17, 2022, 12:40:33 pm »

Yeah, stopping myself from reading my Twitter feed every 10 minutes (like during the first weeks) is a constant struggle for me.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 167