Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 129936 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #2415 on: March 02, 2023, 02:47:23 pm »

This temple is one of my favorite examples to argue that a huge majority of Christians don't give an F about what their particular cult will push. What matters for people without critical thinking is what their favorite authority says, no matter how disgusting and evil (and even contradicting their own religion) it is.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: March 02, 2023, 03:08:45 pm »

To be honest, if I had an infiltration group that was taking pictures inside Russia, I'd have all pictures be of exactly one guy, and I'd pretend it's just the one guy doing it all alone.

Just to maximize humiliation value while making Russia seem more incompetent.

Of course, I support Ukraine, so..

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: March 02, 2023, 03:22:47 pm »

To be honest, if I had an infiltration group that was taking pictures inside Russia, I'd have all pictures be of exactly one guy, and I'd pretend it's just the one guy doing it all alone.

Just to maximize humiliation value while making Russia seem more incompetent.

Of course, I support Ukraine, so..

I am on the fence regarding those ones. Enemy of my enemy is my friend a temporary ally and any dissent in Russia is good but those guys are the closest to actual neo-nazi one can find... Who am I kidding? They are neo-nazi. They glorify this scumbag - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxim_Martsinkevich
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: March 02, 2023, 03:40:16 pm »

Something exploded in the Moscow region, close to the place where a Ukrainian drone fell a few days ago.

Must be smoking...

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: March 02, 2023, 03:49:38 pm »

Imperial Russian troops fighting against the Swedish in the great northern war
Note on the right a Ukrainian flag
One of the claimed origins of the blue-yellow Ukrainian flag dates back to some Ukrainian cossacks allied with the Swedes. The allied cossacks fought under a blue-yellow banner, and the irony seems not to have been lost on the mosaic makers to make it seem like Ukraine has been an enemy of Russia for 300 years.
Uh, that's a Swedish flag though? Gold Nordic Cross on a blue field.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: March 02, 2023, 04:04:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The usage of artillery shells as a theme everywhere really scores home the "we blew all our taxpayer money on a 40k fanfic so we no longer have funds to pay the families of dead conscripts." All in all, nice building. Just a shame it's a church for the blood god, as Russian people did not need another tribute to the skull throne

IDK, looks like a condom to me.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: March 02, 2023, 04:25:40 pm »

Yeah, I'm not really seeing the "missiles" or "artillery shells" thing. Architecturally, it looks like every other Eastern church in the very common "minaret" style. St. Basil's, Church of the Savior on Blood, the Novocherkassk Ascension Cathedral, several different Transfiguration Cathedrals... it's a really common design both inside and outside Russia.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: March 02, 2023, 04:27:48 pm »

I cannot actually fathom why religious leadership would permit such aggrandizement of war in their church, but I admit I'm not familiar at all with Russian Orthodox church-state relations.

I mean, in my lowly branch of Reform protestantism, church buildings are to help point you to God through Christ - not glorify a state or any people.

Like, I see absolutely nothing like the fruit of the Spirit, or the Greatest Commandment, or any of the other essentials of faith... let alone anything about Christ.

In short - I can't relate... it's a terrifying spectacle.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: March 02, 2023, 04:32:45 pm »

I cannot actually fathom why religious leadership would permit such aggrandizement of war in their church, but I admit I'm not familiar at all with Russian Orthodox church-state relations.
Official Soviet policy was State Atheism, but post-WWII (where Stalin embraced anything that might hold the country together) outright banning religion was impractical. This lead to a long practice of subversion that meant that the Russian Orthodox Church was largely KGB controlled since the Stalin years. The technical organizational control has changed, but it is effectively a arm of, and totally subservient to, the Russian government.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: March 02, 2023, 04:41:04 pm »

I mean, in my lowly branch of Reform protestantism, church buildings are to help point you to God through Christ - not glorify a state or any people.
Well yeah, that was explicitly one of the things they were protesting against. :P

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: March 02, 2023, 04:52:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The usage of artillery shells as a theme everywhere really scores home the "we blew all our taxpayer money on a 40k fanfic so we no longer have funds to pay the families of dead conscripts." All in all, nice building. Just a shame it's a church for the blood god, as Russian people did not need another tribute to the skull throne

Unless it's deliberate, I want to take exception with the photographer. A square on shot that places the whateveritis such that it merges with the detail of a doorway canopy (unless that's wingy-things off the tip of the wii, but then these merge with the arched-end of the semi-domed apse) indicates little willingness, or ability, to move the camera around to emphasise the spatial difference between near and far features when rendered into a flattened image.

I think a slight sidestep and/or using a crouch (or stepladder, or - at a pinch - hold it high) to realign where the camera viewpoint is from. I very much doubt that this is the perfect profile shot (or the perfect choice from all those taken from that general direction and published).

And if it's deliberate (like those where some politician is stood in front of a background featuring the word "country", where they happen to obscure the letter "U", or the precise angle where twin mike-heads on a lectern are exactly in front of the speaker's eyes), then I don't get it. So still a photo-fail.

(That's my emotional response. I hope it helps.)

PS. Putin sent a whole lot more Russian 'volunteers' over the border to kill civilians, already. I hardly think he has any high-ground, on balance. Not that this bothers him, but it should bother others more than that little "jolly boys' outing".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: March 02, 2023, 05:13:59 pm »

Behold the IRON THRONE! 100% Leopard tanks melted by HOLY PROMETHIUM. Joseph Vissarionovich, my sun and stars, I AM YOUR EMPRAH.
Speaking strictly from a Western Satanist Atheist perspective that cathedral is amazing and one of the most warhammer 40k things I've ever seen. Hell, its more 40k then some stuff in 40k.

Is it 100 million dollar amazing? Well no.
Would I be pissed about it if I lived in Russia and it was wasting so much tax money? Yes.
Would I think it was possibly Orthodox Satanism and a monument to ritual slaughter if I was actually religious? Possibly. Hail Moloch

I live in New York, one of the coldest states in the Union. 
Our State Governor spent 1.4 billion dollars to put an open air stadium in her hometown of Buffalo.
I am well acquainted with the concept of being pissed at government wasting taxpayer money.

My Number 1 reason why the US should keep funding the War in Ukraine at existing levels is: It's better than literally anything else the Democrats would be doing with the money. 

They're Democrats [insert hated US political party here, it works for both of them], you KNOW they're gonna spend the money.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: March 02, 2023, 05:41:04 pm »

Spoiler: Da Bills (click to show/hide)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: March 02, 2023, 06:13:54 pm »

Behold the IRON THRONE! 100% Leopard tanks melted by HOLY PROMETHIUM. Joseph Vissarionovich, my sun and stars, I AM YOUR EMPRAH.
Speaking strictly from a Western Satanist Atheist perspective that cathedral is amazing and one of the most warhammer 40k things I've ever seen. Hell, its more 40k then some stuff in 40k.

Is it 100 million dollar amazing? Well no.
Would I be pissed about it if I lived in Russia and it was wasting so much tax money? Yes.
Would I think it was possibly Orthodox Satanism and a monument to ritual slaughter if I was actually religious? Possibly. Hail Moloch

I live in New York, one of the coldest states in the Union. 
Our State Governor spent 1.4 billion dollars to put an open air stadium in her hometown of Buffalo.
I am well acquainted with the concept of being pissed at government wasting taxpayer money.

My Number 1 reason why the US should keep funding the War in Ukraine at existing levels is: It's better than literally anything else the Democrats would be doing with the money. 

They're Democrats [insert hated US political party here, it works for both of them], you KNOW they're gonna spend the money.

Governor Hochul is frankly the worst. Kills the New York right-to-repair bill and now this!
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: March 02, 2023, 09:30:13 pm »

And this is why I identify as non-denominational and not strictly speaking Orthodox. I still have icons at home. But I don't go to church or anything.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 167