Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 131226 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1470 on: October 08, 2022, 06:30:22 pm »

Lord. If there was a window of time between 'too soon' and 'I don't get the reference' to be making 9/11 jokes, I must have missed it.

9/11 was 21 years ago. "Jet fuel can't melt steel beams" hasn't been anything but a meme (as in, nobody in any quantity seriously believes it)for at least 15. Memes have a limited lifespan.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: October 08, 2022, 06:31:55 pm »

Thank you, mr. obvious.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: October 08, 2022, 06:34:25 pm »

That’s Pan Oczywisty to you.

Unless internet translators lie.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: October 09, 2022, 06:51:59 am »

Моє судно на повітряній подушці повне вугрів
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 06:53:49 am by Starver »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: October 09, 2022, 11:43:15 am »

Моє судно на повітряній подушці повне вугрів

...google translate tells me that says "My hovercraft is full of eels" in Ukrainian, and "My ship is on a pillow on the top of the hill" in Russian.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: October 09, 2022, 11:52:56 am »

Former is true. What it refers to, though?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: October 09, 2022, 12:58:07 pm »

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Hungarian_Phrasebook

(Yeah, "ship on a pillow" sounds like a likely technical term, but obviously only the particular one in common use in Ukraine, then. (Russian seems to be судно на воздушной - "ship on air"?) The relationship with eels (Russian: угри) and being on the top of hills (Rus: вершина холма?) currently escapes me. Though the cathedral city of Ely (sometimes, and problematically) is ascribed to being named as the "District of Eels", within which the settlement is sat upon its hill... And we all know how much Russians are so culturally attached to random details of English cathedrals, right?!?)

...we now return you to your regular programme.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: October 09, 2022, 03:03:44 pm »

Please, anyone, make Elon Musk shut up... I am tired of seeing him (and people discussing his idiotic war-related messages) on my Twitter feed

If Elon will, in fact, buy Twitter, I'll delete my account on day 1...
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: October 09, 2022, 03:09:29 pm »

You don't need to wait for Elon to take over. Twitter is utter shite as it is. Just delete your account right now.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: October 09, 2022, 03:38:51 pm »

I find twitter to be pretty good to keep up to date on certain topics, actually. Just avoid the temptations of following up on inflammatory tweets
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: October 09, 2022, 04:42:44 pm »

Please, anyone, make Elon Musk shut up... I am tired of seeing him (and people discussing his idiotic war-related messages) on my Twitter feed

[Laughs in not having a twitter account in the first place]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: October 10, 2022, 12:29:33 am »

You don't need to wait for Elon to take over. Twitter is utter shite as it is. Just delete your account right now.

For me, Twitter is the best social network and I enjoy it quite a lot. It is a really fast way to get information, it has a great pool of memes and it has quite liberal and fair moderation.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: October 10, 2022, 12:44:00 am »

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Hungarian_Phrasebook

(Yeah, "ship on a pillow" sounds like a likely technical term, but obviously only the particular one in common use in Ukraine, then. (Russian seems to be судно на воздушной - "ship on air"?) The relationship with eels (Russian: угри) and being on the top of hills (Rus: вершина холма?) currently escapes me. Though the cathedral city of Ely (sometimes, and problematically) is ascribed to being named as the "District of Eels", within which the settlement is sat upon its hill... And we all know how much Russians are so culturally attached to random details of English cathedrals, right?!?)

...we now return you to your regular programme.
A hovercraft in Russian is called a "ship on an air pillow". Суддно на воздушной подушке.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: October 10, 2022, 03:05:08 am »

A hovercraft in Russian is called a "ship on an air pillow". Суддно на воздушной подушке.
...I'd say that the recent (incomplete!) research on the subject, and your clarification, has taught me something new. But mostly I'm going to forget almost all this again quite quickly, sorry. ;)

(About the only thing I cannot forget, apart from mostly reading Cyrillic as if it's Greek (which I then mostly read as algebra!) is the very very old joke about the visitor to Russia who thought the word for "Restaurant" was pronounced something like /Pek-toe-pah/.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: October 10, 2022, 04:29:41 am »

I forgot why do we need to know how to say hovercraft in Russian?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 167