Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 64633 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #675 on: February 16, 2023, 10:18:42 pm »

Another Top Russian Military Official Dead After Fall
I guess he forgot to take flying lessons...
(She, and...) One lesson only. Covering both flying and landing.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 17, 2023, 02:20:42 am »

Sounds like she failed that lesson.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 17, 2023, 10:43:08 am »

Is this the one that has been scapegoated a lot recently by the Russian authorities?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 10:48:07 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 17, 2023, 11:20:50 am »

Is this the one that has been scapegoated a lot recently by the Russian authorities?
Looks like it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 19, 2023, 02:56:55 am »

Is this starlink thing gonna be the start of Elon's newest temper tantrum?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 19, 2023, 01:45:16 pm »

Can’t really call it a tantrum unfortunately. Elon has gone on flights to Russia in the past so this is most likely him fulfilling his side of a backroom deal. I can’t think of what Putin could possibly offer him, so my bet is that it’s blackmail.

Or the man genuinely is dumb enough to believe Putin’s propaganda.

Edit: to give my conspiracy theory some more evidence.

Elon musk only started spewing Russian propaganda after returning from that fateful flight to Russia. The change was pretty much immediate.

The man clearly has some relationship with Russia now that he did not have when he first offered starlink
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 01:55:47 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 19, 2023, 01:55:42 pm »

Musk is an egomaniac, and egomaniacs tend to be easily manipulated if you just repeatedly tell them how great they art.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 19, 2023, 03:51:05 pm »

Is this starlink thing gonna be the start of Elon's newest temper tantrum?
That is unfair. SpaceX have been providing internet service to Ukraine since from the start of Russian invasion. Naturally their aim was to provide civilian aid to Ukraine, to help people stay connected to each other and the outside world despite Russia attempt to cut them off. Unfortunately, it became widely known that Ukrainians have leveraged the service for battlefield control, which affects SpaceX global prospect.

Naturally, Ukrainians want to generate public pressure on SpaceX to keep at it, but SpaceX as international company have other considerations, and considering that many of USA allies bulk at the idea of providing military support openly to Ukraine, you can't expect that a civilian company would, particularly a multinational company that its future prospects rely on cooperation of other major players.

Btw there is very little info on what actual measures they have taken to limit Starlink use.. According to their claims there are some 25k terminals in Ukraine and it unclear how many of them used by the military (at least 1.3k), it would be hard to determine which is which.. the only concrete info I know is the limit on maritime use.

Edited, added bold
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 04:39:09 pm by jipehog »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 19, 2023, 04:15:19 pm »

Putin's style is "threaten them face-to-face until you see some fear in their eyes, then start the meeting", like when he brought a large dog into a meeting with little Merkel.

From a Guardian article:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Putin could have started the meeting with compliments about Musk's family then showed him photos of Musk's family relaxing somewhere where no photos should have been taken. Because, wouldn't you change your mind under threat like that? And how many rich people has Putin had killed?

If you're going to assume there was an agreement made, why not consider that it could have involved coercion?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 19, 2023, 04:26:35 pm »

Honestly, Putin could have just threatened to declare Starlink satellites enemy combatants, and used that theory to blow them up.  Russia has satellite killing weapons, and Musk needs those satellites to maintain his superiority. Starlink is his most successful business, in which he has successfully obtained a monopoly. He can move those satellites to limit competitors, and nobody can do anything about it. Except Putin and his satellite killing tech.

To be clear, I dunno how many satellites Putin can actually kill.  However, due to how space debris scatter and how dangerous they are to satellites in general, one intentional satellite destruction could take out a whole constellation.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 19, 2023, 04:38:13 pm »

Honestly, Putin could have just threatened to declare Starlink satellites enemy combatants, and used that theory to blow them up. 
Unlikely, that would lead to an escalation with USA.

Otherwise, don't forget that Musk have many prospect around the world, including in China.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 19, 2023, 06:26:44 pm »

Don't forget that Starlink gets money from the DoD. Musk's a b***h and he has shown ill-will towards Ukraine in the past regarding Starlink. But on the other hand, since he's a b***h I doubt he'd dare to risk angering the US goverment by getting in bed with Putin. I suspect whatever restrictions are being applied to Starlink have been goverment-vetted.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 19, 2023, 07:29:48 pm »

What musk gets from DoD is peanut compared to their business world wide. And whatever you think of Musk there is few in the world whose contribution to Ukraine have been bigger.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 19, 2023, 07:41:00 pm »

He can move those satellites to limit competitors, and nobody can do anything about it.

To be clear, I dunno how many satellites Putin can actually kill.  However, due to how space debris scatter and how dangerous they are to satellites in general, one intentional satellite destruction could take out a whole constellation.

This is not how satellite orbits/restrictions and flight planning/legal allocation of communications bands works. Musk cannot interfere with competitors by physically blocking them.

I'd doubt all that many satellite-killing weapons are active in Putin's arsenal, and while there are a lot of Starlink satellites they can move themselves and are pretty low, so debris should reorbit quickly...but we don't want to happen.

More importantly, as noted by jipehog, SpaceX is a US company and those satellites are therefore the property of a US company. Taking military action against them would represent an act of war.

I wish SpaceX would just say "we don't condone military use of our systems" and then just...not even try to prevent it. But I understand why they're going to try to avoid military use of their equipment, because they don't want to lose markets that might object to such things even if this particular military use is totally justified.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 60