Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 64933 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #495 on: October 13, 2022, 06:34:11 am »

The same acronym also means Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, which is more common.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 13, 2022, 06:35:38 am »

To fill out the set, a drone submarine is a UUV (unmanned underwater vehicle), and a drone tank or car would be a UGV (Unmanned Ground Vehicle)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 13, 2022, 09:21:03 am »

I think it is just a case of people being used to UAV=drone.

Navies call such toy USW (Unmanned surface vessel\vehicle)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 13, 2022, 10:29:29 am »

Explosive Snoot Boop
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 13, 2022, 10:51:55 am »

These guys (who can't design a website, whatever else they can do) went with Unmanned Surface Vessel, as have others.

(Apparently with the ship-to-base live data link connected through to its onboard communications, they've been talking to other vessels in 'their' vicinity that don't even realise it's not manned! Rather interesting development, albeit in the peaceful/civil sphere.)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 13, 2022, 11:12:34 am »

(Apparently with the ship-to-base live data link connected through to its onboard communications, they've been talking to other vessels in 'their' vicinity that don't even realise it's not manned! Rather interesting development, albeit in the peaceful/civil sphere.)

Oh this has some interesting implications if unmmaned naval vessels start to become more common, if they can actually coordinate with nearby boats well enough to be mistaken for the real deal.

The first mental image that popped into my head is that one of these days some pirates are going to flag down and board an unmanned boat, cue some operator halfway around the world cuing up a System Shock video to blare on the speakers.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 13, 2022, 10:23:18 pm »

The US has been testing them for years, they had an unmanned ship in Lake Pend O'reille, Idaho, the Sea Jet. I always thought they had an unmanned sub, like a full sized nuclear powered sub, after a tour we went on to the base when i was in like 2-3rd grade. I dont remember much else, so maybe i misheard, but that was cool.

Sea Jet certainly doesn't look much like other navy vessels on the outside, other than being the inspiration for the zumwalt class destroyer. But with the cabin it might look like there'd be a crew to take hostage. You could probably use them as torpedo boats or something, maintained by the fleet and sent out to attack targets.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 14, 2022, 04:12:37 am »

So the future of naval combat will be unmanned kamikaze boats that go over to bigger boats and boop them to death.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #503 on: October 14, 2022, 12:39:26 pm »

There is a lot of speculation about why would Musk be cutting Starlink, and how did Ukraine managed to blow up the bridge. Franckly I think reality is very very simple.

• Musk is tantruming like a child after being told off by Ukrainian ambassador
• Ukraine has blew the bridge using conventional weaponry because Russian impenetrable defense was like the rest of its military, mostly made out of cardboard
• Ukrainian high command did not approve the use of Starlink for military applications and probably feel vindicated

I do not believe for a second that Ukrainian army is relying on starlink to conduct science fiction assault.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 15, 2022, 03:52:20 am »

In this article by the Guardian, Musk is also asking the US government to help pay the Starlink bill which is about $20 million per month and mentioning that Lockheed and Boeing get lots of government funding. Sounds like manuevering-for-subsidies by SpaceX.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 15, 2022, 04:10:09 am »

Yes, the latest news makes it clear that Musk is just doing a Starlink Cash Grab. This I can believe 100%.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 15, 2022, 04:55:07 am »

Who'd have guessed Musk's plan the whole time was to use peoples suffering to grab as much cash as he could.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 15, 2022, 06:12:21 am »

Who'd have guessed Musk's plan the whole time was to use peoples suffering to grab as much cash as he could.

Well... Yeah.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 15, 2022, 09:11:58 am »

More signals that Russia can get away with Nuking Ukraine.

The ending is worth reading:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 15, 2022, 01:03:35 pm »

I feel like the article doesn’t do a good enough job backing up its points. There are a few sentences where it “says” that leaders are reconsidering their plans to retaliate if Russia launches a nuke, but fails to cite any examples.

The article seems to just be latching on to Macron’s recent public statements about France’s nuclear stance and assuming that it’s a trend that applies to other countries. Conveniently, the article fails to mention how France’s nuclear situation is a unique one, since the country only has enough nukes to repel a land invasion, and not enough to participate meaningfully in MAD.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 60