Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 64583 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: War in Ukraine News Update - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2022, 07:37:46 pm »

A Russian TV host may be declared unwelcome by Khazakh officials after his statements about Khazakhstan not siding with Russia.

Spoiler: from the Guardian (click to show/hide)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 28, 2022, 06:00:10 am »

The vice-governor of Cherson appointed by Russia, Kirill Stremoöesov, says "Russia will never give back the province of Cherson to Nazi Ukraine. That is impossible".
A referendum will not be held.
Starting 1st of May, the province of Cherson will switch to rubles as official currency.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2022, 09:40:42 am »

The Guardian: Moldova facing ‘dangerous moment’ amid fears it could be drawn into Ukraine war.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2022, 10:43:19 am »

A military experts predicts that Russian forces will collapse within weeks.

Quote from: BBC
Russian forces will collapse in weeks, predicts military expert

Russia's assault on Donbas has "sort of fizzled" and the battle for the region will be over in two to four weeks, says military expert Dr Mike Martin.

The war studies visiting fellow at King's College London says: "Basically the Russians are gonna run out of troops, and the Ukrainians are going to counterattack."

The Russians have squandered their one chance to take the region, he believes.

"They pulled all of these mauled units out of Kyiv, and then tried to reconstitute them for combat in the east," he explains.

But they were "bruised and damaged" by the battle for the Ukrainian capital and Russia failed to build them up and "do some bold manoeuvre".

And Martin says there has been a "major strategic shift" in the war, with the UK declaring its aim is to clear Russian forces from Ukraine, including Crimea.

He adds that UK Foreign Secretary Liz Truss is "wrong", however, to say this would take 10 years, insisting: "Russian forces will collapse before that, and we’ll see a coup."

And with the US announcing US$33bn (£26bn) of funding for Ukraine, "that is an extremely clear signal of intent", says Martin.

It also means Nato and the US have decided Vladimir Putin is bluffing about using nuclear weapons if Nato up the ante, he adds.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2022, 11:40:00 am »

I feel like I've heard that before like a month ago, so what has materially changed?  Supposedly Russia was going to run out of money weeks ago but that doesn't seem to have happened or changed anything for its army.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2022, 11:51:03 am »

IIRC (sorry not doing the best reporting) they achieved solvency because some countries agreed to accept rubles in payments.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2022, 12:54:30 pm »

Keep up the good work!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2022, 03:40:47 pm »

April 6th, Guy Verhofstadt gave a 2 minute speech , addressing the EU parliament, on behalf of 212 of the 700-ish members. Basically, he says banning coal is not enough because it is only 3% of the imports, and "SWIFT, the ban, ridiculous. More than 50% of the financial institutions are still outside the ban".

My take is that even if the 50% of banned financial institutions initially represented 90% of the SWIFT volume, the unbanned 50% would suddenly get a lot of new customers, but I also don't know anything about the related politics or Guy Verhofstadt.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2022, 05:54:08 pm »

BBC reports that Russia has tried to trade captured civilians for prisoners of war. Yet another breach of the Geneva Convention.

Quote from: BBC
Russia attempts to trade civilians for military prisoners - Ukraine

Moscow has attempted to trade Ukrainian civilians for Russian military prisoners, according to Ukraine’s deputy prime minister - a move forbidden by the Geneva Convention.

Iryna Vereshchuk told the BBC that her office, which is responsible for negotiating prisoner swaps, declined and instructed Russia to send back Ukrainian civilians it had taken.

There is growing evidence that Russia has forcibly deported large numbers of civilians across the border since it invaded the country in February.

Ms Vereshchuk said they were being used as hostages.“That's why they captured all these hostages - civilians, women, employees of local councils, to try and use them," she said.

“We know there are more than a thousand hostages there - including almost 500 women,” she said. “We know they are in prisons and pre-trial detention centres in Kursk, in Briansk, in Riazan, in Rostov."

She said Russia had also dragged its feet in sending back women civilians. “We are extracting women almost with pliers,” she said. “Now we refuse to hold an exchange with no women in the list. That is how we try to somehow rescue our women and civilians.”

In the most recent exchange, nine civilians were sent back with severe injuries, including amputations performed in Russia.

“There were badly injured people in this exchange - amputated limbs, sepsis, other severe injuries," Ms Vereshchuk said.

“There were clear signs of torture," she said. "The stories they told us are terrible."

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2022, 12:42:09 am »

Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2022, 03:03:36 pm »

Ukraine clams to have killed Major General Andrey Simonov in an artillery strike on his command post.

Confirmation is lacking, but a claim this specific is too easy to debunk for a fake to be likely.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 01, 2022, 10:26:17 pm »

Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 02, 2022, 04:13:19 pm »

I'm sorry I do not understand, could you explain this?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2022, 04:20:29 pm »

I would also like more sources, but the claim is that Russian soldiers switched sides and are now fighting FOR Ukraine Against Russia.

But it's entirely possible those particular Russians were always soldiers for Ukraine. Or the Ukrainian Military did a lousy patch and repair job on their captured Russian stuff

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2022, 04:34:27 pm »

Ah thank you, I can see now where I was misreading at this late hour.

This is interesting but meaningless without confirmation. I was once told: "only one source of information is the same as no source at all".
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 60