Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 64533 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: War in Ukraine News Update - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2022, 12:53:05 pm »

Jesus.
Le Pen just said France will quit NATO's integrated command, and press for NATO-Russia reconciliation, if she is elected as president.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/13/world/europe/le-pen-nato-russia-germany.html
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2022, 01:24:33 pm »

It's sort of weird that these days the far-right is often pro-Russia.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2022, 01:39:30 pm »

Birds of a feather flock together.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2022, 02:00:11 pm »

Dictators tend to want the same things. Namely, no oversight or international condemnation.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2022, 02:45:20 pm »

Uh, let us try to stick to reporting News in the News thread, and react in the Response thread.
I know I'm not perfect on that front, but its the best way to keep this news thread open.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2022, 03:12:25 pm »

A Russian cruiser which was famously defied by Ukrainian troops on a small island at the start of the war has been hit by Ukrainian rockets in the Black Sea, according to Ukrainian officials.

The Moskva, the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet, received "very serious damage", Odesa regional governor Maksym Marchenko said.

"It has been confirmed that the missile cruiser Moskva today went exactly where it was sent by our border guards on Snake Island!" he said.

Heh. I do hope it is true. (It will be rather embarrassing if Russians will show it undamaged tomorrow)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Confirmed Sunk by Russian media
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2022, 03:18:06 pm »

Here's the news about it from BBC:

Quote from: BBC
Moskva warship has sunk - Russian state media

Russia's defence ministry says its Moskva missile ship has sunk, state media is reporting.

Ukraine says it carried out a strike on the vessel, while Russia claims ammunition on board blew up.

"During the towing of the Moskva cruiser to the port of destination, due to damage to the hull received during the fire from the detonation of ammunition, the ship lost stability," the Russian military department said in a statement.

"In the conditions of stormy seas, the ship sank," it added.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2022, 06:57:41 pm »

That does make it better, then(!). That the flagship and pride of the Black Sea Fleet just caught on fire, without even being in a war or anything...

From a newsworthy pespective (which is how I'm primarily looking at this), it'll be interesting to see how it gets spun. A repeat of the Kursk, except without the total loss of life?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2022, 10:21:12 pm »

It's sort of weird that these days the far-right is often pro-Russia.

Because Russia is funding them all. No really, it's not a guess. They have their finger in every far-right pie in the West. Per the title of an article I read before, "Where there's trouble, there's Russia."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 10:25:33 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2022, 03:00:49 am »

Where there's truble there's a ruble
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2022, 03:22:38 am »

Russia has made an official diplomatic request to the USA, to stop arms deliveries to Ukraine.
According to Russia, they ' put oil on the fire'  and could have ' unforseen consequences' .

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2022, 05:22:37 am »

I suspect Putin is funding very little towards the pro-Putin politicians. There are EU oligarchs that are buying fuel/ores/etc from Putin so they can supply it to the EU, and those are the guys backing pro-Putin politics. They are in the middle of the commodity flow from Russia to the EU and their political power and profits are threatened by sanctions against Putin, so they are working their political sock-puppets to openly back Putin.

Putin is skilled at fabricating and maintaining a faux-democracy and it is in his interest for the trading to continue, so he would advise and sell services to these EU oligarchs, but why should he pay when he is not the one who will lose the most?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2022, 06:15:55 am »

Russia swear revenge for alleged attacks on the Russian village of Klimovo.
Russia claims a Ukrainian attack helicopter attacked the village.

Ukraine denies, saying this is exactly what they warned for a few days ago, that Russia would attack it's own civilians to create more anti-Ukraine sentiment.

Russia says it will hit Kyiv with bombs and rocket attacks in revenge for the 'terrorist sabotage attacks on Russia'.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2022, 08:24:00 am »

Even if the claim were verified - how petty is it that they would default to language like "taking revenge?" Since when is being vengeful a desirable character trait?  Nobody likes vindictive people.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2022, 09:09:55 am »

Ukraine says that the Moskva's commander, Anton Koeprin, was killed onboard the ship, and that of the 510 crew, most were killed, only 58 have been saved.
Unconfirmed reports from Russia say that the high commander of the Black Sea fleet, admiral Igor Osipov, has been arrested by the Russian authorities for the loss of the ship.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 60