Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 64536 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: War in Ukraine News Update - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2022, 06:07:23 am »

Prime minister Magdalena Andersson of Sweden wants to apply for NATO membership at the coming NATO summit in Madrid, in june.

Meanwhile in Finland, the parliament will debate this week whether they want to apply for NATO membership as well.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2022, 06:51:17 am »

Meanwhile in Finland, the parliament will debate this week whether they want to apply for NATO membership as well.

I'm quite certain Finland will join NATO. The public discussions have overwhelmingly been in support, and the downsides haven't really been on the table. It's been an extremely one-sided discussion so far.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2022, 08:51:00 am »

BBC reports that the Finnish PM says it's a matter of weeks, not months, when Finland decides to join NATO or not.

Spoiler: from BBC live updates (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2022, 11:04:23 am »

How tf is Putin going to argue for stabiliy at this point lmao

It's like a bank robber urging everyone to keep depositing their money mid robbery

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2022, 11:35:26 am »

How tf is Putin going to argue for stabiliy at this point lmao

It's like a bank robber urging everyone to keep depositing their money mid robbery
(Well, better for them than losing their valuables directly...  It perpendicularly reminds me of the old joke: Jock and Angus are walking through a rough part of town. A figure jumps out on them with a knife and demands all their money. Jock calmly reaches into his pocket and gives all his loose change to Angus, saying "Here's what I owed you from last week...")

Ukraine already couldn't realistically join NATO, until it fully gave up its ongoing claims upon Crimea and (depending upon how much Russian finger could provably be shown to be in the Donbas pie) the other long-term 'debatable' bits. Invading (effectively) the rest of Ukraine was not really a viable enhancement of that scenario. Not worth the net costs, it turns out, and I'm not sure even the 'planned' scenario (e.g. quickly changing the regime to a Kremlin-aligned leadership with help from their 'peacekeeper' forces, fait accomplis, leaving very little of the old nation to rally behind in response, except sour tastes in various mouths) was properly and objectively assessed.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2022, 01:59:43 pm »

Biden and Zelenski spoke with each other today.
Biden agreed to supply another 800 million dollars worth of military equipment, including helicopters, artillery, armoured vehicles and munitions.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2022, 03:27:00 pm »

A Russian cruiser which was famously defied by Ukrainian troops on a small island at the start of the war has been hit by Ukrainian rockets in the Black Sea, according to Ukrainian officials.

The Moskva, the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet, received "very serious damage", Odesa regional governor Maksym Marchenko said.

"It has been confirmed that the missile cruiser Moskva today went exactly where it was sent by our border guards on Snake Island!" he said.

Heh. I do hope it is true. (It will be rather embarrassing if Russians will show it undamaged tomorrow)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 03:33:51 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2022, 03:31:18 pm »

Very possible, with the latest arms deliveries including long range anti-ship weaponry

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2022, 03:39:09 pm »

Very possible, with the latest arms deliveries including long range anti-ship weaponry

Actually, it is claimed that it was a Ukrainian anti-ship missile - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptune_(cruise_missile)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2022, 10:18:00 pm »

Good job Junior Reporters, keep it up!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2022, 01:16:29 am »

Russian artist Alexandra Skochilenko has been arrested for a protest action.
She went into a supermarket, and replaced the price tags on products with her own pricetags, which were exactly the same, with added criticism of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

The St. Petersburg court ordained that she is to be held in police custody until her case goes to court, May 31.
She faces up to 10 years in prison for 'spreading fake news about the military'.

These prison sentences might seem harsh, and deter people from protesting. But realize this: When your government falls, you will be released.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2022, 03:47:21 am »

No interest in getting beaten and raped by police, especially given that my city is thousands of kilometers away from Moscow and thus nobody else is protesting because there's even less chance of it escalating into a bloody revolution.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2022, 04:50:59 am »

Russia warns NATO that if Sweden and Finland join, Russia will take action in the Baltics, and place nuclear weapons there.
According to Russia, the Baltics were a nuclear free zone to reduce the chance of nuclear escalation.

Lithuania calls their bullshit, saying Russia already has plenty of nuclear weapons in the Baltic Sea area.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2022, 08:50:31 am »

BBC reports that Ukraine fears children taken to Russia might be subjected to child trafficking.

Spoiler: from BBC live updates (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 60