Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: (SG) Underling, a Supervillain Game  (Read 4071 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Underling, a Supervillain Game
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2022, 11:19:12 pm »

We can start by having him modify a stone shell with his geomancy. Since we know he is capable of messing with them we can have him physically modify them so they can be used by humans. If he can manage that then none of our minions will get eaten, since our employer will assume they're inedible as we are.

Ginger Brogue considers your request. "The shells are statues for magical creatures ta possess, not armor for people like me to wear. Solid all the way through. I'm not saying adapting them for human use would be impossible, but I sure as hell wouldn't know where to begin boss. Methinks you'd have a better shot teaching mortals how to do possessions, than you would hollowing out the statues."

The little man strokes his red beard. "But that said, if ye got a spare shell, when this job is over I could take apart the magics and see if I can figure out how they work. No way in on this green earth the shell would survive my experiments, and no guarentee I'd get anything useful out of it, but there is a chance I could find a way to apply the strength and protection charms on it to other objects."

Be open about our employer being that one meth-addicted crocodile. Try to plan around that. Have them go pub crawling or something when Deinosuchus shows up if that's going to be a problem.

Don't keep the meth-addicted crocodile waiting, get in touch with him as soon as we can with the stuff.

The hotel has a top floor common room with a bar where monsters and Villains' may gather without disrupting the regular guests. You bring Brogue and Zero-E out to meet Super Phreak. The old human picks out a quiet table in the corner, and opens up medium sized travel suitcase, revealing the many pages of the USDAGC.

"Here is the document you requested boss. Might I add it is a pleasure to meet you in person."

"The pleasure is all mine, Mr. Grey, but I am no mere person." You offer a slight smirk, before adopting the serious facial expression you have seen mortal leaders employ in briefings. "And on that note, neither is out employer. I have gathered you three together to share the facts as I know them. Our employer is the major super-villain Deinosuchus. As I am sure you are all well aware, Deinosuchus usually works alone, and has little to no history pulling off big complicated jobs that require a full team of Underlings and Henchmen. The agency suspects that he might just be 'ordering takeout' from them, if you well. As such I was given the job as I am not particularly appetizing."

A silence falls over the table. Super Phreak is the first to break it. "That is an interesting development. I thought I smelled something fishy. A few years back, just for fun, I looked into the assets of all the major Villains. Deinosuchus isn't much of the 'worldly possessions' type. In general the totality of his assets usually boils down to a few guns, some fishing gear, whatever truck he has most recently stolen, and whatever abandoned property he is currently squatting in to use as a Meth Lab. There is no way he can afford to hire the agency."

You decide against bringing up your big signing bonus as a counter-point. As much as you like the taste and aroma of envy, it rarely bodes well to be the one others a jealous of.

"Regardless of our concerns," you explain, "it is our duty to serve Deinosuchus to the best of our ability until he gives us good reason to do otherwise. But that doesn't mean we cannot be cautious. Unless doing so is completely unavoidable, Nobody aside from me will be meeting our client in person. Brogue, your task for now is to come up with a magical solution to make yourself and your peers less appetizing to Cannibals capable of transforming into Alligator Kaiju. It would reflect poorly on me if I were to let any of you dear delicious mortals under my care end up as gator food."

"Will do boss. Give me a couple days, and I'll whip up something to protect me an' the lads."

"And what of the rest of us?" Asks Zero-E.

"Our Client has been vague about our job, and doesn't care to field questions. I'm expecting to receive more information shortly after I hand the document into him. On that note, he is coming to the hotel to pick the file up. I suggest you all make yourselves scarce for the time being." You then wrinkle your nose, and give the same speech that every Underling you have worked for as a henchman has ever given. "Have fun until I call you back in, but no public display of your powers, gear, or uniforms. If the forces of justice know a specific Agency Henchperson is in an area, they are more likely to send heroes with the skills and abilities to counter said henchperson when we start doing our job. The longer we go without our presence here being public knowledge, the better, my dears."

You can smell the apprehension, perhaps even mild fear, on your henchmen as they learn the circumstances of their employment, but nothing that would suggest imminent disobedience or treachery. You dismiss the trio, and call Deinosuchus.

He answers on the 9th ring. "Yes?"

"I got the document."

"Good. I'll be by the hotel tonight. Keep an eye out. I'll arrive in a red Semi-cab without a trailer and wait across the street from your room. Come out to the truck, hand over the goods, and we will have a chat."

---

Deinosuchus' truck arrives a few minutes past 10pm. You check to make sure the street is clear, and fly out to meet him. The tinted window is open a crack, and from inside you hear a voice. "Passenger door is unlocked. Get in."

The batch of incubi forged for the invasion of earth were not designed to experience fear in any capacity other than as a meal, but as you enter Cletus' truck, you feel the sort of foreboding nerves that you haven't experienced since the final days of the invasion.

The passenger seat itself is clearly stained with fairly fresh blood, and a few large bones, including a broken human skull, sit at your feet, but it is Deinosuchus himself who really makes you uncomfortable. At first glance, he isn't much: Average sized, slightly overweight, and rocking a bootlegged Breaking Bag shirt that reads 'I am the Danger'. But you know that with the possible exception of the archdevils who created and trained you, that this is the strongest being you have ever met. Even in his human form, Deinosuchus is said to be obscenely strong and durable, and that is before you take into account the fact that he can turn into a 100ft tall reptilian monster at the drop of a hat.

Beyond all that, it is Deinosuchus emotional state that truly catches your attention. He doesn't have one. Perfect emotional neutral. Like smelling a flower. This in and of itself is quite unusual; You were specifically created to read, interact with, and terrorize the mortals of earth. You usually have some issues smelling and understanding the aroma of beings who are not, or not entirely human. But you are still a demon. You should be able to pick up something of an emotion from any mortal, especially one this close to you. It is only when he reaches over to grab the briefcase containing the document, and his arm briefly brushes your stone shell, that you sense it.

Your first thought is that you have never detected an emotion so perfectly repressed. But your first thought is quickly pushed from your head by the second; Never before have you detected a despair so complete. Deep down Deinosuchus is completely and utterly resigned to some less than pleasant fate. The fact that something can make a being as powerful as him feel that way is terrifying enough on its own. The fact that any mortal can hide such despair and function normally makes no sense. The fact that the person feeling this perfect despair is your employer is particularly troubling.

Cletus stares at the document for a few minutes before he nods, puts the truck in drive, and informs you that "We are going for a drive."

For the better part of three hours the two of you drive in silence through the nighttime swampscape. You can do little except fixate on the strange circumstances of the person sitting to your left.

Eventually, however, the truck comes to a stop outside a large metal gate at the base of a hill. "This town is Called Gator Gulch. There is an airport here I'd like to use as my base of operations for the upcoming work. Sadly, I have some... erm... bad history with the drug runners who control the place. I ate old Cajun Jack's arm and was silly enough to let him escape with his life because it tasted bad. The guy holds a grudge, and seeing as he is one of the Veja Cartel's major distributors in the American South, he's an inconvenient enemy to have. I'd go in loud, and eat his whole fucking crew, but then everybody would know its my base of operations."

Your employer points to the gate. "The family that lives in that house up the Hill are the Clancys. Bunch of rich fucks who's ancestors bought the plantation from a bunch of broke former slave owning fucks. The Patriarch and several of his adult sons fly planes as a hobby, and they own a hangar at the airport. As far as I know, they are the only non-drug people to utilize the place, so they probably have a relationship with Cajun Jack."

Deinosuchus offers you a wicked grin that is completely unsubstantiated by any detectable emotions. "What you and your crew are going to do is pay the Clancys a visit, and 'convince' them that it is in their best interest to let us use their hangar without making a fuss. Ideally we then use them fucks to reach out to Cajun Jack, and hopefully gain access to the entire airport without making a big public stink. Don't mention my name. Let them think you are running the operation. Jack should be more agreeable that way."

Having finished his instructions, Deinosuchus turns his truck around, and starts driving back towards the city. Do you dare attempt to talk with your employer on the ride back? If not, what is your next move?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2022, 12:00:55 am »

I think we can be more helpful of we know what our employer is aiming for so

Ask Deinosuchus if they're willing to share further intermediate goals so we can begin to prepare for those.

Not sure how we should approach the rest of the situation, will wait for someone else to come up with brilliant plans for me to +1

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2022, 12:23:55 am »

Does the fact he’s super powerful make him immune to our emotion suppressing ability? It feels like it works that way but it would be fun to suppress this bottomless despair and see what happens.

Otherwise we don’t really need an advanced plan. We’re a super charismatic demon. Do a quick social media crawl to find the best target, give them a fun night or two on the town to befriend them, then ask to use it as a friend. Agonize them until they agree if that doesn’t work.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2022, 01:21:13 am »

Otherwise we don’t really need an advanced plan. We’re a super charismatic demon. Do a quick social media crawl to find the best target, give them a fun night or two on the town to befriend them, then ask to use it as a friend. Agonize them until they agree if that doesn’t work.
This. I say we have Brogue and Phreak investigate them independently as well, so we have a good pitch for showing up at their doorstep. But once we've got a compatible excuse for our interest in their family and airfield, we should be able to negotiate the rest over nice drinks.

We also have $1.5 million in the bank, so we can say with complete honesty that we're a businessman looking to expand, if that fits.

As for Cletus, ask about the area and make smalltalk about relevant hobbies. He'll either tell us to shut up or enjoy mentioning various fishing spots while giving us ideas for crazy schemes.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2022, 01:47:16 am »

As for Cletus, ask about the area and make smalltalk about relevant hobbies. He'll either tell us to shut up or enjoy mentioning various fishing spots while giving us ideas for crazy schemes.
+1 It's better than an awkward car ride back to town.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2022, 04:59:54 am »

This. I say we have Brogue and Phreak investigate them independently as well, so we have a good pitch for showing up at their doorstep. But once we've got a compatible excuse for our interest in their family and airfield, we should be able to negotiate the rest over nice drinks.

We also have $1.5 million in the bank, so we can say with complete honesty that we're a businessman looking to expand, if that fits.

+1

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2022, 05:01:26 am »

+1
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2022, 02:26:40 am »

I say we have Brogue and Phreak investigate (the family) independently as well, so we have a good pitch for showing up at their doorstep. But once we've got a compatible excuse for our interest in their family and airfield, we should be able to negotiate the rest over nice drinks.

You try making small talk. Cletus isn't chatty at first, and your complete inability to read his normal emotions handcaps your social skills a bit, but at the end of the day he is still a mortal and you are still an incubus.

"I used to work at a little diner, 'bout two miles that way," Cletus explains, pointing at an easily missed turn on the empty backwoods road, "back before the Wrath Virus supercharged my powers and threw my mind and taste buds all out of wack. Did ya know Gators'll eat smaller Gators? I was no great cook, certainly didn't deserve that job, but I made a mean Gator omelet."

He chuckles, "I was fucking nothing back then. Sure, I could turn into a 6ft Aligator, but that is more a party trick or means of hiding out than it is a proper Super Power. Not sure if that would even cut it for Henchman level at the Agency. I guess I'm still nothing now. More famous than I was back then I guess, and I can turn into a bigger gator, but I'm still just some trashy fucking redneck piece of shit. But that will all fucking change by the time we are through, mark my words. Got me some big fucking plans."

"I'll bet you do, darling."

Under your cool exterior, you are still a bit shaken. You've never met any evildoer, much less a big name famous one like Deinosuchus, who would give up his backstory so easily. All you were trying to do is get him to make some small talk about the swamp, and he unloaded a full motive rant on you. You can tell for sure without reading his emotions, but you suspect he is doing nothing more than telling you what he thinks you want to hear. Trying to put your mind at ease.

---

As Ginger Brogue has locked himself away in his cheap henchman motel room to try and work out a solution to the 'Deinosuchus eating his staff' issue, only Super Phreak and Zero-E are present for your briefing on the next task. As you explain the situation, you feel Zero-E's agitation and hatred growing. The Eco Crusader considers commercial aviation an unspeakable crime against the environment, in her skewed worldview, you wouldn't be surprised if the unnecessary unnecessary pollution created by recreational flying would be akin to murder or rape.

Halfway through the briefing, Alice takes a deep breath, centers herself, and represses her destructive feelings. Your old friend is as much a pragmatist as she is an extremeist, and understands that punishing one or two polluters isn't worth botching a job and losing grace with the Agency in the long run. Still you are sure Zero-E would be quite thrilled if you chose less than amicable means of handling the Clancy family.

After hearing your instructions, Super Phreak pulls out his computer. "Give me an hour, and I'll look into our marks."

"Fair enough, Alice, lets take a brief recess."

---

When the meeting resumes, Ginger Brogue has returned from isolation. He looks absolutely wasted, and is tightly clutching a small pouch. "I think I got something. Should make someone nigh undetectable to ta brain of a reptile unless the user or someone else directly draws attention to em. Not entirely positive it works on a hybrid shapeshifter like our boss though. And I only got one, and I don't got the supplies to make more."

He scratches his red sideburns. "Twould take me three, mabey four days, if you want me to gather what I need to make two more for Phreak an' Alice. But we might want to test it 'for we invest that sort o' time into making more, eh? Your call boss."

"Hmm... I'll give it some thought, dear. For now, let me get you up to speed before Super Phreak shares with the class."

After you brief the half-fey, Super Phreak begins.

"There are five main members of the Clancy Household. Widower Brock, and his four adult children Heston, Chase, Nora, and Brock Jr." The old man begins, "For the most part, they lack any real jobs and live off the accumulated wealth of prior generations. Chase attended buissness school at Harvard and dropped out after a year and a half. He may be the only one of them trying to make money. He is listed on the board of several corporations, all of which are vaguely involved in financial advice or stock brokering. The fact I can't find much on Chase's companies leads me to believe there could be something fishy like Money Laundering or a Ponzi Scheme going on. Give me a day or two and I could look into it if you wish."

"Heston the oldest might also be a weak point. He's something of a playboy, with a long history of dating C-List actresses and capes." Winston wiggles his eyebrows and gives his best dirty old man smirk, "Good chance he'd be down to screw Alice."

Zero-E flinches at the thought, and both Ginger Brogue and Super Phreak enjoy a brief chuckle at her expense before continuing. "Nora and Junior are twins, and there doesn't seem to much to dig up on them. Younger Brock did a few months in juvie for animal abuse years ago, and Nora has tried her hand at actual air-races on several occasions, but always placed near the back. She and her father are the most avid fliers of the bunch; The go to airshows cosplaying as Howard Hughes and Amelia Earhart respectively. Kinda adorable actually."

"Sounds like a bunch of reprehensible rich American assholes unaware that their actions have consequences," Alice chimes in hopefully, "how do you want to deal with them boss?"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2022, 02:38:52 am »

Looks like the best time to meet them and inquire about using their hanger would be while their at an air show.

Also making the more of the not get eaten stuff sounds like a priority thing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2022, 03:26:42 am »

Looks like the best time to meet them and inquire about using their hanger would be while their at an air show.

I think we should test Ginger Brogue's solution before committing to it, but I'm not sure how we'd do that. Deinosuchus is unpredictable and hard to read, so we might not be able to tell if he can sense our minions or not. On that note, our suspicion that he's playing us is making me real nervous.

Don't think we want to wait around for an air show, especially out here. Probably better to strike with what we have.

As I see it, our openings are as follows:

Brock Sr (Patriarch): Tied for most avid flyer. Anything involving flight might catch his eye. Like a fancy aircraft, or the means to fly without one.
Chase (Businessman): Interested in making money, possibly in sleazy or illicit ways. Approaching him as a potential business partner should work out.
Heston (Playboy): Hedonist. Probably shouldn't whore out Zero-E, but a wild night on the town should get us in his good graces, especially if we insinuate we could set him up with villainesses in the future.
Brock Jr (Animal Abuse Twin): Has at least a distant episode of cruel or indulgent behavior, so fair chance he's got darker impulses we could leverage. Might also have been a fluke or misunderstanding.
Nora (Flying Twin): Tied for most avid flyer. Anything involving flight might catch her eye. Like a fancy aircraft, or the means to fly without one.

With that in mind, I say we play to our strengths and seduce Heston with wild debauchery, but then worm our way into the remaining family's good graces. Talk with Chase about business opportunities, and Brock Sr and Nora about flight and the possibility of developing our own hellpowered aircraft.

The latter also has the advantage of interesting and possibly placating Zero-E.

Speaking of investments, we should probably give Pete an answer regarding the nightclub. We're probably going to be too busy to attend interviews, so he should just go ahead with it. I'm still in favor of making the staff aware of our demonic nature. Increases the risk of defection or word getting out, but reduces problems with waiters stumbling into rooms they're never allowed to leave.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2022, 03:49:53 am »

I think we should test Ginger Brogue's solution before committing to it, but I'm not sure how we'd do that. Deinosuchus is unpredictable and hard to read, so we might not be able to tell if he can sense our minions or not. On that note, our suspicion that he's playing us is making me real nervous.

Don't think we want to wait around for an air show, especially out here. Probably better to strike with what we have.

Brock Sr (Patriarch): Tied for most avid flyer. Anything involving flight might catch his eye. Like a fancy aircraft, or the means to fly without one.
Chase (Businessman): Interested in making money, possibly in sleazy or illicit ways. Approaching him as a potential business partner should work out.
Heston (Playboy): Hedonist. Probably shouldn't whore out Zero-E, but a wild night on the town should get us in his good graces, especially if we insinuate we could set him up with villainesses in the future.
Brock Jr (Animal Abuse Twin): Has at least a distant episode of cruel or indulgent behavior, so fair chance he's got darker impulses we could leverage. Might also have been a fluke or misunderstanding.
Nora (Flying Twin): Tied for most avid flyer. Anything involving flight might catch her eye. Like a fancy aircraft, or the means to fly without one.

With that in mind, I say we play to our strengths and seduce Heston with wild debauchery, but then worm our way into the remaining family's good graces. Talk with Chase about business opportunities, and Brock Sr and Nora about flight and the possibility of developing our own hellpowered aircraft.

Speaking of investments, we should probably give Pete an answer regarding the nightclub. We're probably going to be too busy to attend interviews, so he should just go ahead with it. I'm still in favor of making the staff aware of our demonic nature. Increases the risk of defection or word getting out, but reduces problems with waiters stumbling into rooms they're never allowed to leave.
+1

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2022, 04:02:52 am »

Mostly agree, but I would prefer we look a bit deeper into Chase and see if we can use him as our entry point, we got some cash now and Super Phrik is rich as well, so we can get past initial checks if he capable of doing them better then just coming to Heston and offering a good night, also give us better position to say we are also interested in fun and financial investments then going through the other direction first.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2022, 06:49:23 am »

Could test the reptile ignorance field by kidnapping something particularly tasty and then planting the device on it. I might not even have to be a human!

Yeah, next time we meet have a live alligator to offer as a snack and see if he reacts with surprise when we point it out.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2022, 09:02:26 am »

No, I don't think we shouldn't test it. If it works and he finds out about it it doesn't work anymore. He's clearly clever enough to find a workaround, which could be as easy as bringing out a smartphone and scanning the area with its camera if the solution doesn't work on recordings of the person too. Not to mention if he knows we don't trust him things are going to get harder here out.

We have our own helpowered aircraft. We can pretty easily give them a piggyback ride on a Stone Shell.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2022, 11:22:03 am »

Why befriend these people? It would be simpler, and satisfying to at least one of our henchmen, to just hold one or two family members hostage until we're done.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6