Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: (SG) Underling, a Supervillain Game  (Read 4061 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
(SG) Underling, a Supervillain Game
« on: April 04, 2022, 03:59:14 pm »

Parties at the Employment Agency for Empowered and Ambitious Scallywags (EAEAS) headquarters ballroom are typically a bland affair. The food comes from that crappy Italian place two doors down, the company consists mostly of retired Supervillains in their late seventies and older, and if you are lucky the drinks may be of a marginally higher quality than one might find at a college frat party.

You, however, are in no position to complain. This party is in your honor, celebrating your promotion from Henchperson to Underling in the eyes of the agency. No more two bit jobs robbing small town banks. No more second guessing every move in fear that your bosses will execute you for the slightest failure. EAEAS will now promote you by name to the biggest movers and shakers in the world of professional super-villainy! Soon the world will tremble at your name! ...or at least mention it while trembling at your employers.

"Hey kid! Hellofa party! Dafuq did you do to deserve all this?"

You grimace as Johnny Jungleblade approaches your seat of honor at the head of the table. At one point the Vietnam Veteran turned criminal mercenary and legendary party animal would have been great company, but you get the feeling that you are about to have to share your life story with the dementia ridden old man who now serves as the agency's greeter for the second time today and fifth time this week.

"I got promoted Johnny. I made underling." You sigh.

"Really? That's fucking awesome! How'd you pull that off? Back in my day all ya needed to make underling was a few years military experience and a willingness to kill, but nowadays you have to be the fucking anti-Christ to get the agency's attention. What makes you so special."

You can't help but grin in spite of poor Johnny's repetive question. What Villain worth their salt doesn't like a good brag?

Quote from: Choose One
A: I am a gifted leader and administrator. Those under me work effectively and without drama, and I always find the best man, woman, or extraterrestrial being for the job! This game will focus more on leadership.
B: I'm a gifted genius. Qualified to operate, maintain, and even improve whatever super-weapons or evil laboratories my employers might be using. This game will focus more on mad science.
C: I have superpowers of my own. When the meddling heroes guys come knocking, my employers know they have a fighting chance when I answer the door. This game will focus more on action.

Johnny listens intently to your speech. You doubt he will remember much of it for long, but it does seem to win his immediate approval. "Good stuff! I always say villainy is the best way for talented people to earn recognition! Glad to see that still rings true! But I am curious? How did you get into the evildoing busniess in the first place?"

Quote from: Choose One
A: Remember that Alien/Demon/Mole People/ect invasion a few years back? I was one of the invading officers who missed his chance to retreat. I was a mistrusted non-human with nothing but a stockpile of highly advanced gear to my name. Where else but villainy could I turn? +Stockpile of Alien Tech, +Additional Minor Superpowers, -Mistrusted by Most Humans
B: I was a soldier, same as you Johnny. After an unfortunate incident I found myself unemployed with a dishonorable discharge on my record. Didn't have the opportunity to do much else. So I decided if the government would no longer let me fight for what's right, I'd just find something else to fight for. +Knowledge of Military Gear and Tactics, +Peak Human Combat Skills
C: This bad guy shit? Its in my blood. Its where I belong. My family has been taking work from the agency for generations. Hell, some of my ancestors even became notable supervillains in their own right. I've dreamt of this for as long as I can remember, and have been given every opportunity to pursue said dream. +Starting Wealth, +Extra Villainous Connections
D: Villainy? Excuse me! I identify as an anti-hero! My edgy backstory often puts me at odds with society, and need for money has driven me to take morally questionable work from the agency from time to time, but I'm trying to do the right thing here. +More Likely to receive mercy from victorious heroes, +Popular Opinion, -Start with several heroic and villainous rivals

The old man again hears you out respectfully. "Makes sense," he admits, before gesutring for a server to bring you each another cheap beer. "Cheers to you kid! The newest fucking Underling!"

You offer a defeated grin. Even as a shell of his former self, Johnny Jungleblade's personality is infectious. No point fighting it. He will drag your life story out of you yet again, and you will enjoy telling it.

Give a brief paragraph or two describing the main character's life up to this point. The backstory should be consistent with the two choices you made above. If you picked options that give you powers, describe them in broad strokes only; I will balance them and work out specific details. The backstory will likely give the character additional boons and maluses.

Don't forget to include a name, and if you wish for a secret identity, a villainous alias.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 04:04:19 pm by Weirdsound »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Underling, a Supervillain Game
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 06:57:21 pm »

C: I have superpowers of my own. When the meddling heroes guys come knocking, my employers know they have a fighting chance when I answer the door. This game will focus more on action.
A: Remember that Alien/Demon/Mole People/ect invasion a few years back? I was one of the invading officers who missed his chance to retreat. I was a mistrusted non-human with nothing but a stockpile of highly advanced gear to my name. Where else but villainy could I turn? +Stockpile of Alien Tech, +Additional Minor Superpowers, -Mistrusted by Most Humans

Like many incubi, the being known as Daydream (I'm also fond of giving my name as 'Whatever you think it is, darling') was mass-spawned in the pits of hell to provide minions for a demonic lord I never saw. In my natural form I look like some kind of pitch-black cephalopod about the size of a basketball, but me and my squad were fitted with stone shells- what mortals would recognize as gargoyles- to serve as shock troopers rather than infiltrators. We were fed bland rations of processed mortal emotion, trained in suicidal lightning strikes on fortified positions, and sorted according to worth. I came out on top, naturally.

My forces served dutifully but unexceptionally, punching through light resistance (this world's 'police barricades' are not especially effective fortifications) and feasting wildly on the sweet terror, vibrant hope, and juicy defiance one can get straight from the tap up here, at least in the middle of a demonic invasion. When the portal was sealed, my squad was too far away to make it and too unimportant to hold for, so we were discarded. We managed to evade the worst of the cleanup and get to ground, where my minions gradually splintered off to pursue their own opportunities in the criminal underworld.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 07:54:33 pm »

A,C

As the scion of the rich and imperious Mezziano crime family, Giulio Mezziano was generally expected to become a pampered playboy without any real skills or useful life experiences. On the surface, that's exactly what happened — but beneath the public eye, the so-called Prince of Punks has been managing his family's network since he was just a child, securing their control over illegal activity in their territory while expanding the scope of their interests, playing rival families against each other, and so on. As he entered adolescence, though, his pride made him desire to make a name of his own rather than trade on his family's, so it wasn't long before he came to the EAEAS in the hopes of parlaying his skills into personal accomplishment. Now, finally, his hard work has been recognized with this promotion, and the real work begins...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 08:59:46 pm »

B D

I was grown in a tube, in a secret government facility deep under the pacific ocean. They gave me the designation Tyrant Beta; though it's not much of a name, that'll what I'll keep calling myself until my mission is done, so that I do not forget my rage.
The project was to create artificial super powers so that the world order can fight villains themselves rather than having to rely on heroes. Ironically, the project only created more villains. I was the runt of the lot, who never even developed powers, and they tossed me into the sea, to die.

But I survived, and I learned, and soon enough I will have my revenge!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 09:08:41 pm »

A, B

But unlike you Johnny, I severed honorably in a third world dictatorship. "The General" they called him. Ruled over a dozen peasant filled islands, half of which looked like skulls. He was good to his men. Like a father to all of us. When the rebels finally took his HQ he sent us away to act as decoys. Just like my old man! As it turns out, his nemesis knew he was going to use that plan and got the real one. So all us decoys got away. We had to start over from scratch after that.

In his honor I call myself "The Colonel" now a days. One day I'll surpass that old man and rule this world!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 12:58:59 am »

B D

I was grown in a tube, in a secret government facility deep under the pacific ocean. They gave me the designation Tyrant Beta; though it's not much of a name, that'll what I'll keep calling myself until my mission is done, so that I do not forget my rage.
The project was to create artificial super powers so that the world order can fight villains themselves rather than having to rely on heroes. Ironically, the project only created more villains. I was the runt of the lot, who never even developed powers, and they tossed me into the sea, to die.

But I survived, and I learned, and soon enough I will have my revenge!
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 04:17:10 am »

First is an easy choice. B, but the second is harder... I guess I'll say for the second A, if only because being supernatural is likely to be fairly interesting, and I kinda like the idea of being a supernatural mad scientist. Perhaps we can actually succeed with a doomsday weapon by it being magical instead of traditional mundane mad science. Since you need a background for this though...Hmm...I think I might use something a bit...interesting...

While most simply see a short woman with a scar across their face named Melissa Powell, the truth is that person has been locked away. Well, their soul has anyway. The one in actual control of her body is a serpentine demoness of Envy named Monnid, ex servant of the great demoness of pride Onoskelis. Not really by choice, more so by the whole invasion thing going poorly and her being part of an loose infiltration group that was heavily dispersed resulted in her learning plenty of the various advancements the mortals have made. Something quite important given the at least hundred so years out of date the technology hell had. Still, this mean that getting stuck in the mortal realm was basically destined when the invasion failed. And this has delayed her plans of getting out of the horrible reputation that the circle of envy has by becoming a demon of pride by quite a bit much to her annoyance.

Still, at least it's far easier to feed off of envy when dealing with criminal enterprises than pride, at least given the state of most mooks. And it also helps that in the worst case scenario she can ditch the person she's possessing and go about a fair bit less covertly until she finds a replacement. Though, the ritual to do such always leaves a scar...There's plenty of other rituals that can be used as well, and the time she spent essentially being a spy and recon for the onset of the invasion has helped quite a bit in her more technical knowledge. The last two important things to note though, firstly, she hates codenames and nicknames as she wants people to envy her work under her name and finally become a demon of pride in a vain hope that some other demons who can actually go back to hell will notice, and secondly... Just never put her in front of a stove or any cooking appliance. She is certainly not a demon of gluttony and can probably find a way to screw up making even cereal somehow...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 04:22:45 am by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 04:23:44 am »

Like many incubi, the being known as Daydream (I'm also fond of giving my name as 'Whatever you think it is, darling') was mass-spawned in the pits of hell to provide minions for a demonic lord I never saw. In my natural form I look like some kind of pitch-black cephalopod about the size of a basketball, but me and my squad were fitted with stone shells- what mortals would recognize as gargoyles- to serve as shock troopers rather than infiltrators. We were fed bland rations of processed mortal emotion, trained in suicidal lightning strikes on fortified positions, and sorted according to worth. I came out on top, naturally.

My forces served dutifully but unexceptionally, punching through light resistance (this world's 'police barricades' are not especially effective fortifications) and feasting wildly on the sweet terror, vibrant hope, and juicy defiance one can get straight from the tap up here, at least in the middle of a demonic invasion. When the portal was sealed, my squad was too far away to make it and too unimportant to hold for, so we were discarded. We managed to evade the worst of the cleanup and get to ground, where my minions gradually splintered off to pursue their own opportunities in the criminal underworld.
+1

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 09:16:15 am »

+1
Gouge out the chainsaw priest's eyes with my thumbs.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 09:28:24 am »

+1
+1

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2022, 12:59:11 pm »

Huh. I thought I'd get outvoted in favor of mad science.

That or we'd have as many entries as posters. :P
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2022, 01:25:05 pm »

fine, guess I'll have to go make my own mad science SG. with blackjack! and hookers!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2022, 03:18:10 pm »

You leave the party as early as appropriate for the guest of honor. Your stone shell prevents you from enjoying the mortal food and drink, and none of the two dozen or so gathered mostly geriatric ex-villain's find it attractive. You say your goodbyes, accept a few small badges and trinkets symbolic of your promotion, and climb up to the roof, where you take off from the helipad on large stone wings.

It takes about 55 minutes to fly from EAEAS headquarters on Long Island to your home in Detroit. You can't help but find long distance high-altitude flights like this boring, as unless you want to slow down and tail an airliner, you cannot smell delicious mortal emotions from so high up. Usually you occupy your mind by reflecting on your powers and abilities; re-running old battles in your head and imagining how things might have gone different.

Powers, Abilities, and Personal Artifacts:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since the economic collapse and decay of the late 00's and early 10's Detroit with its many abandoned neighborhoods has become a popular location for minor evildoers such as yourself to set up lairs. As it is now 2:30 in the morning, and yours is the only occupied building on its street, you have no problem landing right in the middle of the road in full Officer's Shell and walking through the front door.

The building looks like a church, and indeed was originally constructed to house the faithful, but the neon sign on the door states that it is now called St. Pete's Theatre and Nightclub. Inside you find the place's namesake, and your chief henchman, Peter Westmoreland, sitting in one of the few remaining pews, editing a video on his laptop.

Peter is the sort of college student who has been attending class for the better part of a decade, but has yet to graduate. His major is film, his hobby is demonology, and he has been working on a documentary on the Incubus Invasion for several years. His absolute loyalty only costs you a few Demon Batteries that he sold on the black market to set up St. Pete's, where he screens films by himself and other student filmmakers, and the occasional filmed interview for his project.

Peter bills himself as an 'amature demonologist' but you are sure the human is selling himself short. As you had no childhood, and very little pre-earth experience, he actually knows alot more about demons and hell than you do. His knowledge of incubi in particular is quite impressive. He helps some of your former soldiers who still reside in Detroit hone their possession and feeding abilities beyond their limited military training, and has been instrumental in the rehabilitation of Blacklight, your other henchperson.

Blacklight was a soldier under your command, who found herself trapped without a Stone Shell. In desperation, she attempted to possess a human. The process destroyed the host's mind, and left Blacklight stuck with human fears and morals. The human body was able to walk out of the situation undetected, but the experience left Blacklight less than useless. Before Peter started working with her, she was a sobbing mess who did little but eat, sleep, and cry over her wicked deeds. Nowadays she is able to help out with small tasks around the Theatre, and can make good conversation, but is still afraid to fight or even leave her human host. She also sleeps alot, which you are guessing she is doing now as she isn't at Peter's side.

"How was the party boss?" Pete asks as he hears your heavy stone footsteps approach.

"About as bad as I expected. Glad to have it over and done with darling. I'd of much rather you hosted the event here. The crowd is so much better."

Your henchman nods. "I'm screening one of my professor's films tomorrow night. A biopic on one of those terrible Roman Emperors if you want to come upstairs and watch. Not sure what kind of crowd its gonna draw, but I bet it will beat Johnny Jungleblade and company."

As you consider Peter's offer, the human brings something else up. "Oh. Boss. Lustarms dropped by to get some feeding lessons from me, and went down into the basement afterwards. Not sure if they took anything. I'll do inventory after I finish up this scene if you want."

You groan. The dozen or so former soldiers under your command who live in Detroit often feel entitled to help themselves to your stockpile of military supplies at will. "I got it Pete. I don't need to sleep, but you should catch some winks at some point tonight dear."

Peter grunts in approval, and you head down to the basement to count your assets. Nothing is missing. Lustarms was likely just oggling the Hellpheonix Shell again.

Assets:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You spend the remaining night and some of the morning checking and doublechecking everything to make sure you were not robbed. You eventually return to the main floor of the club, where Blacklight is enjoying a breakfast of human food. The damaged soldier has also put out another suit that is fitted to your officer's shell and tough enough to survive flight.

"Am I going somewhere, Blacklight?" You ask.

She shrugs. "Perhaps. I figured you might be in a hurry to get back to New York and sign up for your first official Underling Job. That is up to you, of course, boss."

You consider the idea. If you wait too long to pick up a contract, it may reflect poorly on you as an underling. Signing such a long term deal to work with a more notable villainy, however, would likely take you away from your base of operation for some time. Perhaps there is some housekeeping in Detroit you would like to take care of before getting to work.

Do you want to look for work? Or is there something else you want to do first?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2022, 04:36:56 pm »

1 Hellpheonix Shell Loadout- A massive bird shaped Stone Shell equiped with multiple armagedeon launches, agonizer forks, and conventional firearms, powered by a large advanced Demonic Battery. Capable of near hypersonic flight, It is the incubus equivalent of a nuclear bomber and air supeiority fighter rolled into one. Sadly, you no longer have contact with anybody trained to opperate such a weapon.
This is gonna be one hell of a season finale.

I say we look for work. There's some interesting things we could do with a demonic nightclub, but it's probably more important to figure out what our boss is going to be like first.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2022, 08:29:00 pm »

Yes, +1 to looking for work
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6