Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Amazing story  (Read 1763 times)

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Amazing story
« on: March 09, 2008, 04:26:00 am »

Ok so im sent to a goblin fortress to kill a drunk priest. I walk in there during the night and search every level (the place was only like 3 or 4 levels up). When I got to the top I found a bunch of guards and a whole bunch of priests, mainly sleeping. I killed them all then killed the last one by choping off his head. The last one was the drunk I was sent to kill. I looked around for his head but I couldnt find it so I looked over the edge of the building and saw a demon almost directly below me. I threw a few arrows at him but one only managed to stick in his leg. He flew up and so I droped my shield hoping I could twist the bolt around in his leg and make him pass out...this was a realy bad idea. I couldnt find a "twist bolt" option in the wrestling page (which I now think might be in the shift-I page when your holding onto the bolt)so I made an even worse mistake and droped my sword hoping it would work if I used two hands. I keep trying to grab the bolt and keep missing when the thing bites my lower arm an incinerates it. He latched on and tore a chunk from my arm so I tried throwing arrows at him, didnt realy work so well. He then bit into my left hand and broke it. I knew I was in trouble so I tried to throw a bolt at him. The first bolt I threw hit him in the head and pierced his brain. He passed out right there. I started biting him, and long story short now I have demon flesh between my teeth. Cool eh? Im going to save the bolt that hit him in the head.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing story
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 04:38:00 am »

Why do you need his head?

Anyways, that was very very silly.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 04:44:00 am »

Really? I thought it was pretty cool. And I like to collect heads myself.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 05:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Patarak:
<STRONG>Why do you need his head?

Anyways, that was very very silly.</STRONG>

I dont need the heads of fallen enemys... But I like to collect them. I have a small small fortress I built just for this adventurer. It has a half finished swiming pool an armor room a food storage room and a sleeping area full off coffins which aperently I cant pick up unless they arnt built..any ways after I get around 30 or so heads I go back to my little house and dump the heads into the swiming pool. I also keep an anvil and a few other prized momentos in there.

Aegis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 06:30:00 am »

Guide to killing a Demon
1. Pierce upper body.
2. Once the demon is unconscious finish it off.

or

1. Pierce brain.
2. Once the demon is unconscious finish it off.

Please note that if you don't knock it unconscious instantly you will be doomed.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »

Thats why before atempting to kill a demon I gather the best quality swords I can find and fling them at him when I find him. This time I didnt bring any because I wanst expecting him.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 03:53:00 pm »

I dont bother trying to make anything for an adventurer in a Fort because of the amazingly over enthusiastic scattering of items.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 09:21:00 pm »

^ I do...but I make the smallest map possible and surround it all with a bridged channel so you know exactly where to search. Takes 10 minutes tops to get everything you want where you want it...

unless you're going for "ADVENTUERER CATHEDRAL CLOTH STORAGE HOBO COLLOSIEUM".  I usually just go with a medium sized shack and a few  rooms with fancy levers to destroy items, train a dabbling swimmer, etc.

ALSO: if you load a wagon full of steel disks, a few booze and helmets, arrows, moar arrows =D, steel xbows, and a kitten, then immediately abandon - all items will still be on the 4 wagon tiles.

[ March 09, 2008: Message edited by: Wooty ]

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »

will the kitten be alive? O_o

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>I dont bother trying to make anything for an adventurer in a Fort because of the amazingly over enthusiastic scattering of items.</STRONG>

Is this a lucky illusion I've had, or do bins and their contents stay put?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

From experience, anything that isn't in weapon, armour, or ammo stockpiles get displaced all over the place. Anything in a stockpile has a small chance of remaining there in the respective containers. Except for food.

I find this exceptionally annoying and would certainly wish that Toady could at least turn down the displacement a bit. Heck, I don't even care if he made it so a large number of items inside get destroyed or go missing. It's far more believable than having some typhoon come in and ransack the place every single time I reenter the map.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »

I never even get close to a demon.
1. I go to some gobbo fort
2. I wander too far away from it
3. Demon
4. Toasted adventurer

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 08:34:00 pm »

Displacement happens when the location of the item doesn't get saved.  It's not something you can "turn down", the game literally has to make a location up.

I'm sure better information will be saved eventually.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 11:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>Displacement happens when the location of the item doesn't get saved.  It's not something you can "turn down", the game literally has to make a location up.

I'm sure better information will be saved eventually.</STRONG>

IIRC, currently the only items guaranteed to stay put are those that are saved as being at a trade depot.

However, the following caveats apply:

1) In the old 2d version (haven't yet tested if it still applies today, but it seems probable) I used an adventurer to go into one of my old forts and relocate a few stacks of gold bars from where they were scattered into the trade depot. When I reclaimed, they were re-scattered.
1a) If this eventually gets updated so stuff you carry around in adventurer mode and drop in a fortress gets saved with that fortress esp. position in the trade depot, then you could theoretically mine as much adamantine as you want, just mine out all the stuff in one map, optionally processing it to thread or wafers so it's the light fluffy adamantine instead of rock-bearing raw adamantine, and then use an adventurer to haul it to a new fortress where all you've built is a trade depot.

2) In the latest version, I tried building on top of a goblin fortress, realized I didn't have fireproof materials for forge-building, so I tried to quickly make a wooden trade depot so I could save at least the anvil I'd brought along and save the reclaim group some points... But despite the wide patrol circle of marksdwarves, every dwarf tasked to construct the depot kept getting "interrupted by goblin Drunk" and similar. Lesson here: If you're going to invade a fortress with seven dwarves, make sure you have everybody as marksdwarves so you can actually clear out an area for building. Nothing less will do. I think.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>realized I didn't have fireproof materials for forge-building</STRONG>

You brought an anvil, but no pick to dig out some stone?

Pages: [1] 2