Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fuckery of the Financial Future  (Read 1960 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Fuckery of the Financial Future
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2022, 01:26:06 pm »

At least US dollars can be used for debt and taxes.
Exactly. Try wiping your ass, or lighting a fire with a bitcoin. in that light, the toilet paper hoarders are smarter than crypto hoarders.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2022, 01:28:27 pm »

Crypto is like tulips. You can’t eliminate fad bubbles for all of forever, but each and every one is bound to burst. And they should too when they drain energy proportional to small countries, in the middle of the fricking climate crisis.

It’s not that I don’t get the appeal of decentralized money, but the current attempts are all too stupid.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2022, 01:50:48 pm »

Crypto exists for one reason, so the Fight Club and Mr. Robot narratives can be completed in reality.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2022, 01:56:36 pm »

Crypto exists for one reason, so the Fight Club and Mr. Robot narratives can be completed in reality.

I am Jack's missing btc wallet password.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2022, 02:44:02 pm »

Look guys; if you don't see Crypto taking over the world in 20 years, what do you see?

Let's leave out AI and shit for now.

The world gets more unstable, hard currencies become more valuable (and rarer). Gold could get lost to asteroid mining. The dollar could have any number of things happening to it. There's simply demand and nothing else to fill it, long-term.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2022, 03:12:36 pm »

You are making no sense

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2022, 03:13:18 pm »

I see the current batch of crypto going away, supplanted by sovereign electronic equivalents.

Either that or we'll end up with everything being like Robux and other game currencies - you can buy anything you want, but you have to first convert it into Company X Tokens to buy their stuff, rather than just be able to buy stuff with your local sovereign currency.

Of course, that's assuming we still have an electric grid and internet infrastructure in 20 years.  Without that, we'll be back to trading cigarettes or bottle caps or something.

Remember: Cash is king (and people will invent it even if it doesn't exist), but barter is ace.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2022, 03:55:13 pm »

but barter is ace.

This is why cryptocurrency will get a hold. Open your mind to all the things you can really sell. Not just money. Reputation. Taste. People are going to be boiled down to the monetizable robot inside us all.
Reading a thinner book

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2022, 04:01:05 pm »

That's not cryptocurrency. I already exchange dollars for tastes when I buy sushi, and lobbyists exchange dollars for senators.

Short of the fundamental annihilation of civilized society as we know it, cash is here to stay, be it the USD or the Euro or whichever superpower is on top of the world at the time. Barter's what works where currency fails. If you're in a barter society, nobody is mining cryptocurrencies to keep on a virtual registry, because there's gonna be no fuckin' internet.

We'll still be buying stuff with dollars in twenty years unless the States gets glassed.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2022, 04:32:22 pm »

American currency is valuable because any scenario where it is not valuable means nothing other than canned goods are valuable.
It took a while for me to figure that out.
Even gold losses it's value at some point of societal collapse.

I'd actually suggest Chinese currency is more valuable than American currency (since American government is propped up by Chinese government), but I worry about the Chinese currency.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2022, 05:51:53 pm »

Ironically crypto currency is technically more traceable than physical currency.  It can be transferred online though, which is more convenient than a dead drop of cash.  The transaction fees and the minting costs are extraordinary, but it does make illicit transactions more convenient.

I'm not about to say that illicit transactions are necessarily bad.  Be gay do crime.  It's just the only actual purpose crypto-currency has, and it's getting stamped on hard.  The IRS is asking that "Have you traded crypto" question on *last* years taxes.  I tried to sign into Coinbase last week and it wanted ALL my personal info (I didn't have any balance anyway, I made the thing to make a harmless payment in 2020).

Crypto is literally as "useful" as transferring blue-chip stocks.  Oh, that has fees?  Crypto has more, plus the wasted power and components.  Oh, it's taxed?  So is crypto, now that the *insanely* absurd joke hasn't fizzled out on its own.

It's just another libertarian scheme with "cyberpunk" decals glued on.  There will be more, same as there are always "sovereign citizens" eeking out an existence by being too annoying for the cops to do their goddamn jobs.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2022, 08:02:15 pm »

That's not cryptocurrency. I already exchange dollars for tastes when I buy sushi, and lobbyists exchange dollars for senators.

Oh but it is. When was the last time you sold your taste making or literally staked your reputation? Because you can do that with cryptocurrency.
Reading a thinner book

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2022, 01:55:44 am »

Oh but it is. When was the last time you sold your taste making or literally staked your reputation? Because you can do that with cryptocurrency.

Crypto doesn’t make you a cyborg, Novel. And if you were one with a detachable taste chip, you could sell that for cash as well.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2022, 02:11:16 am »

Crypto doesn’t make you a cyborg, Novel. And if you were one with a detachable taste chip, you could sell that for cash as well.

Eh, don't do that. Anyone could make you taste anything.
Although arguably, it's texture and smell that are really disgusting.

It's hard to imagine pure taste, as I think it's impossible for most humans with our primitive human sense organs.
I'm trying to remember if I could taste anything when my mouth was novacained.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2022, 06:54:34 am »

People who believe their reputation can be sold had none to begin with

Pages: 1 [2] 3