Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New lairs/structures for Megebeasts, night creatures, cursed individuals, etc  (Read 1417 times)

Abyssmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Goblin
    • View Profile

Just recently I had started getting a lot more into Warhammer beyond just skaven stuff thanks to Total Warhammer 3 which led me down a whole rabbit hole of reading all the horror-related lore and associated media I could find.
While going through it all, it had led me down the road of roleplaying a witch hunter in Dwarf Fortress, hunting vampires and were-beasts, that sorta thing.
But while I had done this, I noticed that a lot of the current ingame lairs for creatures that use them are... pretty limited.
Sure shrines and burrows of night creatures specifically can be cool, as well as mazes, what with all the loot and corpses of previous adventurers strewn about, but reading about geist-haunted lairs, norscan folk keeping werekin locked away, castle Drachenfels, creatures of Nurgle hiding away deep within the sewers of towns and so on made me think of how much more potential megabeasts and night creatures could have in terms of atmosphere and gameplay.
  • Haunted/abandoned mansions
  • small huts in the wilderness
  • fallen towns/cities
  • towns/cities with their own specialized areas for megabeast worship
  • Wandering the streets of Towns/cities under certain conditions like weather, time of day, month, week, etc
  • Graveyards with maze-like catacombs, crypts, and tombs underneath them
  • Ruined castles
  • Old farmsteads littered with dead livestock
  • Ritual sites
Just imagine it, you're either a hardened warrior or a lowly peasant, being hunted down in the abandoned ruins of an old town by the dragon that has now made it's home there, or maybe you set up camp at an old house only to find a horde of bogeymen thriving within the basement, or better yet you go full on Castlevania on a vampire who resides within one of the many haunted mansions across the land.
So many possibilities that I feel would really add to both the horror and atmosphere of pretty much any creature that makes use of lairs.
Heck, why limit it to creatures? Civilizations, depending on how recent the battle was and the morals of said civ, bodies could riddle the alleyways or be thrown in newly constructed corpse holes outside city walls or just simply dumped into the sewers.
Haunted mansions could be temporarily turned into outposts only to go horribly wrong and everyone there murdering each other because, you know, it's haunted.
Again, SO many possibilities that could add more than enough flavor to what are essentially the bosses of this game.
All tunnels lead to Skavenblight

My mods

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile

Settlements that raise certain livestock / cultivate certain plants, and do so in a protective ring around their settlement, solely because they know that X monster prefers Y food, and if they can get it before reaching the settlement, they'll leave the settlement (and its inhabitants) alone.

Settlements that then go the additional step of occasionally laying traps / ambushes around certain concentrations of Y food, specifically in order to kill a few X monsters every season & keep their numbers down.

Isolated pillories, and/or mass graves, near monster lairs . . . for those settlements (or even entire civilizations) that use the creatures as a means of dealing with slain enemies, plague victims, heinous criminals, even unwanted children.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think a lot of sites are just placeholders.

I don't feel like very few of them are completely satisfying, and some are extremely rudementary.

Like forest retreats are just trees with some elves in them and bandit camps aren't even camps but just some boxes with stuff in them.

Monasteries are just 4 square buildings (with weirdly much distance between them) and a couple of shrines. I think they should be much more elaborate.

Towns, hamlets and dark fortresses imo are decent, but needs some work to feel like they're real things. Like towns and dark fortresses needs soime walls and guards, it to me makes no sense anybody can just walz in.

Necromancer towers often have this *really* weird meaningless layout of floors, IDK if it's meant to be Lovecraftian unnatural geometry :)

Dwarven fortresses are alright except they use these confusing ramps instead of up/down staircases.

I also like night creature lairs, except sometimes they have no entrance - I think maybe because there's a tree where the entrance is supposed to be? They're basic but quite creepy, and they have the cauldron which I think only exists there as an item. I like they've got their own unique object.

Taras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think a lot of sites are just placeholders.

I don't feel like very few of them are completely satisfying, and some are extremely rudementary.

Like forest retreats are just trees with some elves in them and bandit camps aren't even camps but just some boxes with stuff in them.

Monasteries are just 4 square buildings (with weirdly much distance between them) and a couple of shrines. I think they should be much more elaborate.

Towns, hamlets and dark fortresses imo are decent, but needs some work to feel like they're real things. Like towns and dark fortresses needs soime walls and guards, it to me makes no sense anybody can just walz in.

Necromancer towers often have this *really* weird meaningless layout of floors, IDK if it's meant to be Lovecraftian unnatural geometry :)

Dwarven fortresses are alright except they use these confusing ramps instead of up/down staircases.

I also like night creature lairs, except sometimes they have no entrance - I think maybe because there's a tree where the entrance is supposed to be? They're basic but quite creepy, and they have the cauldron which I think only exists there as an item. I like they've got their own unique object.
Cauldron exist as building. You may found that if occasionally embark at place where lair is.